1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fields is Steelers Digest player of the week

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 16, 2024 at 4:15 PM.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    What I liked about Fields on Sunday was his nice touch on soft tosses which was totally missing the last 2+ years. And he does pinpoint a number of the long tosses very well (helps when 14 is the target). They don't all have to be lasers although over the middle will of course necessitate that. The overthrows in the 2nd half were frustrating and who really knows what was going on (wrong routes? avoiding INTs? other?) but the play calling in general sucked after the 10 pt lead. His scramble ability is an asset at this point but hopefully not the norm like a few other "running" QBs who constantly lead their team in rushing stats.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    And others blamed wr … overthrew him by 5 yds

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Um.. if Fields plays well... wouldn't that mean he should be the unquestioned starter moving forward given the fact he will be 26?! For that matter, why not use next year's first to acquire either a WR or IDL?! That would make the most sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I just love how everyone thinks that a franchise QB has to come from the draft. People act like every QB we draft is gonna be another Ben. Do you guys not pay attention to HISTORY, How many QB’s have we drafted that has had success? TWO.

people on here thinking the next one we draft is gonna be a franchise quarterback, got news for ya, they are hard to come by.

A Franchise qb doesn’t have to be one we pick from the draft. It just has to be someone that fits into our system, someone that can learn and adjust.

Sure the Bengals, Jags, Ravens, Eagles, Chargers, Dolphins, Bills, 49ers, Chiefs, Texans has all drafted their Franchise QB’s. But other than Mahomes, how many SB Championships do they have?

Point is that all these teams seem to have found their franchise qb, but what have they done for their teams other than decline each season? Outside of Mahomes and Stroudt that’s having success. And I just about bet Stroudt will decline as the years go by.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

If he could only throw it and catch himself. We would win the SB :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Disagree. Good WRs can be had in rounds 2-4. Steelers need as many QBs as possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    How many superbowls has the Steelers won? 6 and all of them were from a drafted qb
    Bradshaw and Ben

• Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My bad. Well....I wonder why they did it.
    Also a few on that list could be on the .....when will they turn back into a pumpkin list.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2024 at 7:55 PM
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    There have also been a few 9- 10 Ravens games that were great.

10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The steelers-ravens game from the 2008 to 2010 period were always so good!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

So is Luther Burden III, Tetairoa McMillan or even Emeka Egbuka not worthy of the First Round Hype they have been getting this College Season?! For that matter, given how the likes of Shedeur, Carson and Quinn are likely going to be gone before Pittsburgh selects, don't you think selecting the best player available is more important?! Seldom does drafting for need ever work.

You know this Heinz. C'mon man..

12. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well that’s obvious, how many years was there in between? So half us board members won’t be alive the next time we DRAFT a franchise QB.

So in another 26 years I will be 80 years old.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I plan on hanging on a little longer

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It could be worse. LoL. There are teams fans still out there that have never even seen a SB for their team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    It’s unfortunate, but most teams draft and groom a qb to build championship teams. Hopefully our organization gets it right and drafts n grooms a winner.
    At least you will be 80, ill be dust by than.

16. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t have time this AM to watch the whole video, but I watched the breakdown of the first 3 plays:
    Play 1- This is what we keep seeing. The route is open as soon as Fields sets, and he’s looking right at it and ignores it. That wide open route over the middle is exactly what Arthur Smith’s play action game is designed to open up, and the QB has a super easy read and throw. He has to make that.
    Play 2- Chase handed out a lot of praise to Fields for this one, but let’s be frank, that was as easy at it gets for a QB. Pickens was college open before the snap and the coverage was obvious.
    Play 3- OK, I get what Chase is saying about his viewpoint that Pickens was supposed to break to the sideline. Maybe that’s the case, and I’m sure Chase is being honest about what the route should have been in offenses he played in. However, watch closely. The defender steps towards the outside and gives Pickens the inside release. Is that a choice route that should have been read to cut inside? Was Pickens right? He sure as hell broke open quickly. I’m certainly not going to ding Fields on that one because the Cover zero blitz had an unblocked rusher coming free immediately, and he did get away and turn it into a positive play. This was the type of play where his running ability really sets him apart.

The first play was a sample of what we’re seeing way too much of so far. I am generally pleased with Fields’ performance over 2 weeks. He has been better than I expected, but the offense is still very limited. It works when your defense gives up 8 points per game. I’m pumping the brakes on getting excited over Fields until we get into some situations where he has to deliver in the passing game late in the second half. A game where the defense isn’t stymieing the other team and where we don’t have time to just run the ball and use conservative play action with the occasional bomb.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I agree with your assessment but let’s also be fair you know MT is pulling the strings behind the scene and wanting him to be ultra conservative.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I said this before. Chase Daniel will not talk badly about certain Qbs. I have watched Him on a show on FOX sports, and he's pretty much a yes man to whatever they say. He also if people will watch will skip bad plays by certain Qbs. That's why I stopped watching Him.....He's just like Big Ben....He doesn't like talking bad about Qbs. Whereas JT. O'Sullivan just says what He sees. It doesn't matter who the Qb is , or what team He plays on.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Why do You people keep saying this....Yet when Ben played this wasn't true, when Trubisky played this wasn't true, and when Mason played this wasn't true. Was not Mike Tomlin the HC when those guys played???

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    :bscow:

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    so you don’t think MT is a defense first conservative HC. WOW. Goodnight.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Nice how you moved the goal posts after being busted for making a false post

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I think it’s time for your mylanta pops. I said Tomlin is a conservative coach in both posts not sure what you are reading. Want me to spell it out for you??

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    You can’t spell

And go back and read your two different posts I did

But I can read