1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Well Maybe it was Him.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by S.T.D, Sep 16, 2024 at 12:34 PM.

1. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Lamar cant see the field.., misses open wrs… we used to b itch about KFP, but MVPer does the same thing

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Good write up! This maybe Fields last chance, hopefully he excels

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Again, you are missing the point. Mobile QBs are the new paradigm of the NFL. Look around.

Stroud, Burrow, Goff even, to name a few. None of these guys are statues. They can run if they so choose. They just elect not to. However, that mobility they possesses is needed when you have either freak level or superfreak level EDGE Players coming after you on every single play.

During Brady's time in the 2000s, very few teams had such monstrous Front Sevens. By the time the 2010s rolled around, that all changed. NFL Front Offices had to change their approach towards fielding better Offenses as these Defensive Freakshows were getting out of hand; Myles Garrett being the literal tip of the spear.

What is the best way to limit such freakshows?! One of two ways; either build an Offensive Line or nab a QB with plus mobility. As we have discussed, Offensive Line development in College Football is largely non existent.. minus a few colleges. The other method, as you have stated, carried a lot more risk due to such QBs appearing in the past. What is being forgotten here is the NFL Rules that have catered a lot more towards the Offense. Given the fact that the QB is the most important position in all of football, they have received some of the most consistent rule updates to the NFL Rulebook to protect them. This is what many, and I mean many, NFL Front Offices and Owners were wanting all along. For that matter, 2017 is when we saw the beginning of the rise of the plus mobile QB; Mitchell Trubisky, DeShaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, DeShone Kizer, Nate Peterman and Joshua Dobbs, to name a few. Now, most of these QBs wouldn't pan out. The ones that did though proved that QBs with plus mobility can work a lot more in today's NFL than it did in the past. Fast forward to 2018 and this process was repeated.. with one massive exception. Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and last but not least... Lamar Jackson. Only Rosen flamed out. The other four?! All QBs who could run. Lamar was the only one who was run first.

I could continue pointing out the years that followed 2018 but the evidence is clear; more NFL Teams favored QBs with Plus Mobility. For that matter, Pittsburgh themselves ended up being one of them in 2022 via Kenny Pickett as Tomlin was adamant about finding one who possessed such skills. Now, how does this have anything to do with Richardson?! Toolsy QBs like him usually have that greater level of mobility that I discussed. However, it is much different with AR15. His complete physical skillset is something that one simply cannot coach nor teach; all the more reason he did go to a place that will maximize his skillset in Indianapolis. Inexperienced?! Without a doubt; only 13 total games played at Florida as a Starter. Lacking in talent and potential?! Oh absolutely not. Shane Steichen wouldn't have selected AR15 if he didn't believe he could mold him into something great; something I believe Steichen can given his history along with the Colts Offensive Firepower. AR15 will continue to take his lumps but he will no doubt get better as the season goes on. None of this though is the point.

The point to take from all of this is that today's NFL Defenses are simply too strong, too smart and most notably, too fast for statues to exist. Again, I point to you Week 1 against Atlanta. Pittsburgh's Front Seven ate Kirk Cousins alive. For that matter, go back to last season against Matthew Stafford and the Rams; same story. Why am I using Pittsburgh's Front Seven as an example?! Given the fact that the Defense is, in fact, a Championship Caliber unit, how are the likes of QBs with lesser mobility supposed to possibly win; doubly so if pressure is constantly in their face?!

Looking at it another way, Justin Fields' performance against Denver. Do you believe that Mason Rudolph is outrunning the likes of Barron Browning, Zach Allen, Jonah Ellis and the rest of that Denver Front Seven?!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Thank you good sir! :drinks:

Listen, I get what you and @S.T.D are saying. I do. Having a QB that can run vs one that runs is more preferrable. However, both have been proven to work in today's NFL. It is just that the one's that can run are more successful.. for obvious reasons. As I pointed out, C.J. Stroud is one that can run. Jared Goff also can run. Joe Burrow can run. Those QBs have a lot more tools to work with via their arm and processing; hence why running is a last resort. However, what sets those QBs apart from others is the fact that, if all else is lost, they can run for a first down; frustrating everyone on the defensive side.

The aforementioned being statues would paint an entirely different picture.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Mobile qbs not run first qbs. Big difference. I agree with Mobile not Run First Qbs. Im sure @S.T.D would agree

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My point exactly.

Either or works however. Lamar didn't win those two NFL MVPs by accident. His passing has shown to be good enough.

However, I am saying that, thus far, Lamar Jackson has been proven to be the exception to the rule; a run first QB who has been very successful. Time will tell on AR15 but I have seen more than enough with him to know that, with Steichen, he is going to be a major problem should he continue to develop.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It has been two games.

8. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I guess , when i say pocket passer gives the idea that i dont want a mobile qb. But, you can have what i call a pocket passer that has mobility to scramble and get a wr open before running

9. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Ravens might be 0-3 after this weekend

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think he just wanted to refer to Pickett without saying his name.

11. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Kubiak was the guy I was hoping would end up as Steelers OC after they finally canned Canada.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    And had a botched snap in first game and the second game

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough.

We have a difference of terminology then.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Trades can be made. We will have zero QBs on the team at the end of the year. Kyle Allen may be a guy to bring back. Daks backup may be a guy. We will see what is available at that time and make a decision. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Tomlin has never hired either a Positional Coach nor a Coordinator under 40.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Wow, that’s interesting. I’ve never heard that before. Thanks AQL

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Trey Lance is what he is. Kyle Allen is much of the same. Neither are the answer.

At some point Mac, you have to draft for the future. Unless your plan is to find one come 2026 via Arch Manning or Nico Iamaleava, no other option makes sense. Even then, both the aforementioned are likely going first and second overall anyhow should they continue to develop their game.

Have to embrace the future at some point. These stop gap options haven't been working. For that matter, Tomlin is running short on time for he will have two seasons after this one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If Mason Rudolph is the bar, the bar is way too damn low.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I discovered a video about it just recently! Took me by surprise as well! Perhaps that is why the Offense has looked so archaic; lack of fresh ideas in the Modern NFL setting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The worst thing they could do is draft someone and throw him to the wolves. Get a couple of guys that could help him along. Allen knows Smith's system pretty well. Rush has played well as a starter when dak has been hurt. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2024 at 6:49 AM
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Jackson still seems to have a ceiling. Sooner or later, his limitations end up being a part of the Ravens going home.

Fields is similar in that he is a dynamic runner with a great arm, but despite the relatively clean two games this season, he still shows some of the flaws that held him back in Chicago. He still struggles when his first or second option isn't open. He still stands back there holding the ball too long and takes sacks when he shouldn't. He still chooses run when there are guys open down the field. He also has to prove the inconsistency of the past is a thing of the past. Remember, it has only been two games.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Why not sign Fields to a two year deal then if that is the case?!

Allen may know Smith's system but that doesn't mean he is efficient.

24. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Horrible almost historic qb draft class

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So much typing… so much that’s confusing mobile QBs with running QBs. You lump QBs together who are so different under a shared label of “mobile.”

• Winner Winner x 1