1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Well Maybe it was Him.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by S.T.D, Sep 16, 2024 at 12:34 PM.

1. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Wrong way to rebuild in my personal opinion

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    There is no such thing as a dual good, only dual threat. If You are really good at one aspect, you are not as good as the other. Those days are gone.....funny.....Brady, P Manning, P. Mahomes, and Mathew Stafford are all pocket Qbs., and I believe those are pretty much all the last Qbs that have won SBs.....Before You say anything.... Pat Mahomes runs about 60 times in a whole year, and has had seasons with way less...please don't confuse P Mahomes 40 - 60 carries a year with Lamar Jackson, and J. Allen's 100 - 167 carries in a year. Also would you care to make a bet on the Richardson thing???

3. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Media today is funny. Youtubers do a better job than most media members.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Strongly disagree.

Unless the EDGE, IDLs, LBs and even Defensive Backs start to get slower, Mobile QBs are here to stay. For that matter, yesterdays game against the likes of Denver should have been proof positive. You see Mason Rudolph evading any of those would be EDGE Players from Denver given how the line wasn't holding up as well in the second half?! What about the likes of Kirk Cousins against Pittsburgh the week before?! Dude is a sitting duck; a primal target for one of, if not the NFLs best, Front Sevens.

As you said, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, C.J. Stroud and even Justin Herbert (I'd imagine he is another you favor) are the new style that the NFL wants. Lamar Jackson has two NFL MVPs; whether that is liked or not. Hell, I personally don't like it and thought the likes of Prescott, Josh Allen or even Tyreek Hill should have won the award but that is what the NFL Voters voted on. Run first QBs can win in this league; Lamar being second only to Mahomes. The issue isn't if they can win but if they can develop their ability to throw the football.

Lamar isn't going to challenge the likes of Josh Allen, Joe Burrow or Patrick Mahomes in terms of throwing for the rest of his career. He is what he is; a rock solid thrower in the MOF and occasionally along the sidelines. His career percentage is 64.4% is one thing but his career Yards Per Pass Attempt is 7.5 per ESPN. That alone isn't why Lamar is so damn difficult to beat unless you are in the AFC North... more specifically Pittsburgh. The reason so many teams have not been able to beat Lamar is due to the fact that Lamar's passing is more than good enough to make many Defensive Coordinators lose sleep; 20-3 against the NFC alone and 42-23 against the AFC. I repeat, Lamars passing is rock solid but that is good enough when you have his ability to run the football.

Only Pittsburgh and Kansas City have figured him out. No one else seems to. That isn't my overall point though.

My point is that Pocket Passers are essentially all but extinct in the Modern NFL. There are too many rules in the game today to protect QBs; doubly so those that run. Add the aforementioned fact that these Defensive Players keep getting freakier and freakier and more running QBs will become a thing. Hell, the upcoming 2025 NFL Draft's top Signal Callers are all very mobile minus Carson Beck to a small extent.

5. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Dude, out of all running qbs, I still like Josh. Lamar sucks, IDC if he wins mvp every year, i dont want him.

6. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Lamar’s football iq is awful. I dont think he can actually read defenses either. If they stop him running and he has to pass he is fooked.
    Thrown a lot of ints when he plays Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Mahomes and Stafford are not Pocket Passers. You said it yourself; Mahomes runs about 60 times a year. Tom Brady never averaged more than 50 his whole career; 49 being his highest output in 2006. As for Matthew Stafford, he has never gone beyond 45 rush attempts himself; 44 being his highest output in 2015.

Moreover to the point, you are missing it entirely; Collegiate Defensive Players aren't slowing down.. at all. Remember Odafe Oweh from Penn State circa 2021?! Dude ran a 4.37 at 257lbs. That is unheard of. For that matter, these EDGEs keep getting faster and more explosive as the years go on. Yes, Oweh is an outlier but both the 40 times and 10 Yard Splits are getting more and more bonkers. This isn't accounting for the previous statement I have made that College Offensive Lineman receive little to no Coaching sans a few Colleges; Notre Dame, Iowa, Oklahoma, LSU and Arkansas... to name a few.

Finally, if Dual Threat QBs are not any good, how does that explain more NFL Offices taking chances on them? For that matter, why are they?! Simple, they offer much more tools to work with. Now, does a QB need a lot more than mere physical gifts?! Without a doubt. Neither me or you are debating that.

To say though that a statue in the pocket can survive in today's NFL though?! Kirk Cousins, Matthew Stafford and Aaron Rodgers to a lesser extent are all proof positive of what happens when you are unable to evade these freakshow Front Sevens in the NFL. Have to have some form of mobility.

Whether that is a QB that can run vs. a QB that just runs... either or is needed. Defensive Coordinators aren't going to allow QBs to just sit in the Pocket and dice them up circa the Tom Brady era anymore.

Side note: As for your Richardson bet?! What have you in mind?!

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You don't have to be. That is where the NFL is trending good sir. Pocket passers are not coming back.

Kirk Cousins is learning that the hard way. Matthew Stafford the same.

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't like none of them. Why would You run for 40 yards when You can throw for 40 way easier.....unless You have to....
    The job of the Qb is to distribute the ball, and do it well .....not to try and do everything.....that's why you have OL, Wrs, Rbs, and TEs. There is a reason that Wrs leave these guys the 1st chance they get.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That is when he plays the Steelers. What about the rest of the NFL?! The NFL isn't just solely for one team.

Lamar's Record against Pittsburgh is bad no doubt; 2-4 all time per statmuse. He is 1-4 all time against Kansas City using the same site.

That said, not every defense has HOF level players the way Pittsburgh does and no one except Kansas City has one of the greatest QBs of all time in Mahomes and a Top 6 All Time Coach in Andy Reid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    You do realize the failure of first round qbs in the last few years… minus a couple… Stroud being one of them… a lot of busts.. including a borderline Fields.

12. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Also, Penix, Caleb Nix all drafted in top 12 not run first qbs.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Oh because Mahomes ran 10 more times than Tom Brady He's a running Qb now. LoL. I have never laughed so hard as I did at that Stafford isn't a pocket passer. Just because You can run doesn't make You not a pocket passer. Your speed has not one single thing to do with it....it's whether You can play, or not play without running. Hell Ben was faster when He came out than many Qbs that didn't make Him a running Qb.
    Many of You confuse scrambling Qbs with running Qbs. If Your Qb is running a 1/3, or more of the carries that a normal starting Rbs runs.....He maybe a running Qb. If not.....he's probably not. Again how fast you rub has nothing to do with it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Bottom line a passing first qb will be more successful than a run first qb. We can agree to disagree.
    A mobile qb looking to pass is what i truly desire. Someone who can evade pass rush.
    Hurts has mobility, but he is a pass first qb.

15. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Yeah we see what happens to him in the playoffs year after year. He is the Mike Tomlin of QBs

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I think i said this a moment after you.

17. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I thought the official Stat was 100 or more rushing attempts?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    We will just agree to disagree about Allen. Unlike all the other running qbs you listed, Josh can actually throw a football.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed I do.

Now, is that on the QB or on the entire Organization?! Remember, it takes two to tango here. QB is the most important position in all of sports correct?!

This also makes the QB the most vulnerable position in all of sports. Why?! Where a QB lands will decide whether or not he will have success. Now, Trey Lance is a major exception to the rule for his severe lack of development is very much on him as Kyle has shown he can work with even the likes of Purdy. However, the mishandling of Mac Jones via Bill Belichick, whatever the hell Trevor Lawrence dealt with in Jacksonville via Urban Meyer, Chicago's continual inability to not develop QBs properly via Justin Fields and New York's complete ineptitude regarding the development of Zach Wilson are all points of reference here.

For example, Patrick Mahomes clearly had talent coming out of Texas Tech. He was benched. Why?! Andy Reid realized he needed time to develop. Josh Allen was a massive project coming out of Wyoming. He got better. Why?! Sean McDermont allowed both Ken Dorsey and Brian Daboll to mature Allen by both taking the ball out of his hands but also permitting him to showcase that laser cannon he possesses in 2019. Hell, even the aforementioned Lamar Jackson needed time as a QB. Baltimore's Offense simply didn't mesh with Jackson's playing style. As a result, John Harbaugh had to change up the Offense in a big way to allow Lamar to maximize his skills in an NFL Offense that is predicated around his mobility; something that had not been seen in some time. All of these QBs succeeded for they were given the proper time to develop because the Organizations allowed them to develop by not only giving them a chance to grow but also incorporating both schemes and personnel to maximize their skillsets.

Long story short?! A Franchise is entirely responsible for the development of their First Round QB. As much as I hate to say this; Pittsburgh failed Kenny Pickett more than Pickett quit on the team. Having Matt Canada around, haphazard attempts to fix the Offensive Line and a WR Corps that was essentially George Pickens or bust was a recipe for disaster. Granted, Pittsburgh still hasn't fixed their WR Room yet but what the team did learn from the Kenny Pickett experience is that you need to adapt to what your QB can do best and not what your OC wants.... thus far.

Arthur Smith seems to be the right guy for the style that Justin Fields brings to the Offense. Up to Fields to capitalize.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I wanted to take Falcons tonight, didnt pull trigger. Just like the Tampa Bay game

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's what would be about a 1/3 of what a starting Rb runs....about...100 carries. Hell we got some Qb run way more than that.....koff koff cough.....Lamar Jackson. LoL

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They can all throw the football. You don't make it to the NFL if You can't throw the football My Friend. It's can You throw it to the right person,at the right time, and see what the Defense is doing that most have problems with.....that's why they take off and run so much.
    All Qbs should be able to run if it's a last resort, but when you are running more than 100 times a season.....that's a problem. Hell we got Qbs running more than some Rbs. LoL. I never played wrs, but I've heard them complain.....nothing they hate worse than after all the blocking they've done throughout the game, and then it's finally their chance for the ball, they run the perfect route, get open, and here comes the Qb running down the field, and they are back to blocking. LoL

23. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I tried to respond and it all disappeared. I agree 110% a lot of coaches are ruining qbs. Let them sit a yr or two, you will be surprised by the benefits of doing this.
    Brady said he would never start a rookie qb
    so you think Lamar can throw as good as Josh???

• Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes, but the question is .....does he see the field as good..., and I would say no.....as of yet .....no.

25. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Lamar will never and I repeat never ever be the quality passer of Allen… never, did i say never if i didnt here it is again..,never