1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If I’m Not Starting, I Really Don’t Feel Like I Should Be Playing:’ Broderick Jones

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 15, 2024 at 8:54 PM.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Especially so for OT's, it's rare that they come out of the gate dominating. It's a hard position to play, much more so than guard or center

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Me too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So ....nobody is allowed to get a breather, and if they are...we can't use Jones because He's not the starter....so he doesn't want to contribute???
    I'm not trying to sound like a smart a$$. I'm just not sure what you mean. It's probably me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Injuries happen. Gotta deal with them.

5. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I've been thinking about the needing a breather part... for the life of me, I cannot remember ever a Steeler's OL needing a breather cause they were tired. Unless someone is injured, I don't recall any OL taking plays off to catch their breath.

Granted, I only started watching in the 90s, so maybe Mike Webster or some of the 70s OL needed breathers due to tiredness, but I would have assumed Mean Joe would have smacked them in the head if they were tired in the middle of a series.

How often do OL rotate cause they're tired and need breathers?

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Need a breather is injuries included. Oh...My air got knocked out of me, My hand got stepped on, my hamstring got tweaked....I need a breather.
    Also....let's not compare the generations. We drove around with no seat belts, had children sleeping in the back windows, with people smoking all around, drank out of the hose, never came home till it was dark, and did everything like ride bikes, horses, skateboards, and 3 wheelers without helmets or pads.....so we can't compare the different generations. Hell the NFL doesn't even have the same type of practices anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Players are human beings with feelings. Jones was just benched. As some one who has played and coached I can tell you that it SUCKS! It is absolutely demoralizing. I believe his comment comes from a place of " If I'm not good enough to start then don't rotate me in, let the guy who beat me out play". I get it. I don't think he meant his comment to be as selfish as it sounded.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's not what I'm asking, and I believe most of us played, and some even some college.
    What I'm asking is so if someone needs a breather, or has a minor injury.....we shouldn't ask Him to go in??? That's what I'm getting at.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am not saying that we shouldn't. I don't think he is saying that he shouldn't. I am saying that right now he is salty about losing his job. The last thing he wants to do is switch in occasionally just so he plays. That's worse than standing there.

• Like Like x 1
  10. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Broderick jones could have costed us this game -trade him-- bench him whatever he is a cry-baby.:eek:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    If you were intentionally trying to undermine someone's confidence you couldn't have come up with a much better plan than what Tomlin is doing to Jones.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This...When I heard his statement it sounded more like "I have work to do". If Troy is your RT, play him, understanding there will be growing pains (even as a 1st rounder). Experience ad snaps will only help long term. If Jones needs to sit, fine. Concentrate on lt in training, he needs it. You invested by moving up, knowing he was raw. Not the first guy who has struggled, won't be the last. This rotation crap reeks from the amateur ranks.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

How does he mean this? Is he saying he is playing hurt? Ugh, thats an ugly statement either way.

14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    You don't give up on a guy this talented and someone you moved up for in the first round so quickly. The whole situation has been mishandled, Troy was injured, Jones had to play (also injured). I did not hear a malcontent, perhaps some disappointment, but actually a truthful statement, If he is not starting, he should be on the bench. WTF is more honest than that? If he is struggling and not getting the job done, then put him on the bench, don't split time. I have seen some dumb moves on the Oline the last few years, this actually shocked me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Then proceed to attempt to trade up for either Will Campbell from LSU or Kelvin Banks or Texas. Next Year's FA Class of Offensive Tackles isn't impressive at all. Historically, seldom it ever is.

Quitting on Broderick now would be shortsighted. Ruining his development thus far has been a major issue; Tomlin being held responsible. Have Broderick heal that elbow first then learn his natural position at Left Tackle soon thereafter.

17. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I'm guessing that's not what he means. He may be taking a shot at himself by stating he expects to be starter-level, and if he isn't, he shouldn't even be on the field. When they rotated him in yesterday, I don't think it was for injury, it seemed like they were giving both he and Fautanu reps at RT.

It wouldn't make a lot of sense to follow up such a declaration by saying he's willing to help the team however possible, so for now I'm electing to call it a poor choice of words and give it a pass.

I don't really like how they've used Jones thus far. He was known to be a strong, run-mauler type coming out, just needed to work on footwork and blocking technique. Choosing to swing the younger, higher-ceiling prospect to RT to continue keeping Moore at LT where he was more comfortable risks stunting the development of a guy like Jones.

Moore is a backup-level talent to me. (Sorry, AQL.) You don't risk the development of a greater talent you've invested a move up in the first round to secure in order to keep Moore in a better setting. Sometimes Tomlin tries playing around too much with things when staying the more natural course is in order (and vice versa).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    *my* interpretation is that he meant "lets not plan to have OL rotate like we do with RBs, go with starters and I'll fill in as needed".

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I agree. It cant help Fautanu or Jones to rotate throughout the game.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

What it will do is damage their development; doubly so with Jones.

That said, I believe I have said enough on the matter. This has already been proven via the likes of Dotson and Green. Green wasn't going to be a starting caliber Guard but to place him as a Center without a Veteran to teach him is Coaching and Developmental Malpractice at its finest; probably even more so than what Carolina has done to Bryce Young.

I pray that Broderick doesn't suffer the same fate as Kevin Dotson. Way.. too.. much... unearthed.. potential with Jones. Saw plenty of glimpses during his time at Georgia. Ceiling is limitless... he needs to be placed in the situation to max that out ASAP.

Hopefully him being benched will finally allow Mike Tomlin to realize that Broderick Jones belongs on the Left. Omar Khan stated that was the plan. Again though, only so much Omar Khan and Andy Weidl can do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't know why you HATE Jones so much. What, did Broderick pee on your dog???

Jones had a good rookie season last year. He was the best OT on the team last year according to PFF Stats

Or, are you really Pat Meyer?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2024 at 4:15 PM
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Has nothing to do with hate. He’s not playing well. He wasn’t playing well last year either. Y’all keep making excuses about his arm. He wasn’t wearing it last year and we saw the same crap. It’s not the arm. He needs to work on his craft.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know why Jones should be the ordained LT, he only played one season in college where I'm sure he was just getting by on raw talent alone.

If you want to move on from Moore, I would make it an open battle between him and Fautanu.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Jones' raw talent is worth investing into a great deal. Big men like him shouldn't be able to move the way he does; doubly so in space. That is freak show levels of lateral agility, explosiveness and speed; things you simply cannot teach as an Offensive Line Coach. Pittsburgh saw this early on and made it their mission to draft Jones with the 14th Overall Pick. Aspects that are far abnormal that Coaches simply are unable to Coach are more than worthy investing heavily into. If you hit on such an investment... boy oh boy.... you potentially got something special.

Moreover to the point though. If a player is raw but has played a position long enough to let him get by, that is what coaching is for. The same can be said for the likes of Anthony Richardson; a QB and player who is way more raw and inexperienced than Broderick Jones could ever hope to be. AR15 only has a grand total of 13 games started; six less than Jones does. Despite this, he was the number four overall pick in the same class. Now, fast forward to his full season playing and, Richardson has not played well. Now, is Shane Steichen going to bench Richardson despite him having less than stellar results?! No. Why mention Richardson with Jones?!

Both have skills, talents and abilities that are not commonly found. Getting back to Broderick, his issue hasn't been his talent or gifts but a complete mismanagement of his natural position in addition to his elbow injury he sustained back in Training Camp. Both are affecting him greatly. Having him sit and learn his natural position while healing up will hopefully pay massive dividends later down the road.

Long story short?! Omar Khan already stated that Jones will be the Left Tackle at some point. To your point, Dan Moore remains the only roadblock. Thing is, Dan Moore has been the best Offensive Lineman on the Steelers within the first two weeks. For Broderick Jones to get back on the field, he must beat out Dan Moore in addition to Dan Moore having a bad game or two.

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What I am saying though ... does one season in college game make it his "natural position". Fautanu is basically same size speed and arm length.

I'm not going to lie, Jones looks raw out there. Just looking at it right now, he might have to kick inside. I'm not seeing the technique and footwork for him to be an elite pass pro tackle.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2024 at 5:24 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1