1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If I’m Not Starting, I Really Don’t Feel Like I Should Be Playing:’ Broderick Jones

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 15, 2024 at 8:54 PM.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough.

Lets see how consistent Moore can be.

2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I keep wanting to have Dan Moore's back, because of all the haters out there, but when I rewatch the games and focus on Moore,.I have to admit that PFF has it right: Dan Moore Sucks.

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not in 2024 he hasn't.

One game doesn't define a season. Dan Moore has been our best Offensive Lineman. Other than Zach Frazier, no one else comes close.

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He's just limited. He's a LT that struggles with rushers that have explosive first steps or good speed around the edge. He's an ok run blocker, wouldn't really call him particularly good or bad. But he has highs and lows in pass pro based on the player he's up against. He can fare well against someone that relies more on power than finesse (like Judon) and look good one game, then turn around and struggle pretty hard with a speed guy. He could get hidden a bit if he played RT, but he can't, so....

Unfortunately he'd be a really nice swing tackle if he ever could figure out RT. He is capable of giving you starter quality play in short spurts, especially if he doesn't face the type of player that he struggles with.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    This past game defines his season the exact same amount that his week 1 did? No one should really care what happens in preseason once the season starts, none of that actually matters.

I really do hope that Dan Moore finds it and plays like a starting caliber LT for the season. There's just been nothing that he's done as a pro that makes me think that there is a reasonable chance that happens... I'd love to see him prove me wrong, especially so if Jones ends up not panning out (since we'd be looking for a LT again). I'm just not counting on it.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Agree to disagree.

You think he is the same old Dan Moore.

I believe Dan Moore has turned the page.

7. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    He sure didn't look like a "new" Dan Moore today...

Only one of us will be right. Hope its you ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Steelers drafted a RAW LT whom got by on strength despite his poor fundamentals then decide to play him at RT. This is the Steelers fault. You can’t expect a player to get better by giving them 1/2 the reps and at a position he’s never played. He needs full reps. Another Tomlin/GM mismanagement on a good talent. Despise that coach with every fiber of my being. He’s not only holding back players, but holding back this team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    It was after the game

These are overgrown kids

I’m hoping it was a spur of the moment comment made in frustration

10. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    My biggest concern about Jones is not his penalties, or even his lack of progress from year one to year two. My biggest concern is his attitude so far. He may very well have an argument for how he has been managed by the Steelers but his attitude and how he is reacting to the situation is my biggest concern so far.

He needs to accept responsibility and own his poor play, then they need to sit him down and have him take a step back and just focus on learning the LT position and honing the fundamentals and technique in practice for about a month.

Hoke made the statement that he seemed disinterested all through training camp. His play and lack of progress would certainly suggest that. Hopefully they can find out what and how to motivate him. I know making excuses and its everyone else’s fault on why you're playing poorly is a pride thing and I hope he gets over it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

If you listen to the rest of what he said his attitude isn’t a problem imo. At least one of those calls against him was pretty weak. He did go on to say he would do whatever is asked of him to help the team. He definitely has things to work on, but there’s no reason to throw in the towel on him. If you listen to the Ramon foster show he says all the time it’s not until year 3-4 that most linemen put it all together. A perfect example of that is Dotson. He didn’t suck despite the claims of some. His issue was penalties. Just stupid mental errors. You saw what happened with him. Kahn decided they were better off with seamalu and traded Dotson away. In year 4 Dotson put it all together and got paid. How long before Brice shows up crying about pat meyer

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Lol ..not long; I have the tar and feathers loaded into the trunk of my car. :)

I still think he should have been set down and allowed to heal in preseason. Right now I would guess that the brace is impacting his game both physically and mentally.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2024 at 11:32 AM
  13. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I am not saying to throw in the towel at all. I think he has the highest upside of all the Lineman. I just think he needs to take a step back right now and recommit himself and focus on the fundamentals and technique. Let him to that for a month and then ease him back in at LT. I don’t think the rotation thing is good for him or the line overall. They have to build some continuity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I still lean into:

1) he is very young
    2) he is injured
    3) he has had poor coaching (the entire offense has)

now - we could criticize the pick in general - since he was that young last year and we needed a Day 1 T starter, why draft him (then and there)?

But now - Yr. 2 - my opinion is that he will be fine and that he will be good, and maybe even very good and here for a long time. He is the kind of guy that Tomlin mentors - and it seems to me that Jones has a decent head on his shoulders. Yesterday was a tough day. But adversity builds a man.

I guess we wait and see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Yet once again we saw the same crap from Jones last year without the brace. Get it through your skull. Save the tar and feathers for yourself. You’ve earned it

16. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    He shouldn't have been anywhere near a football field. He's hurt. Terrible job by the Steelers and this rotation was a terrible idea and that was clear before the game started.

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    If he’s hurt why isn’t he on the injury report?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Well, to be fair, this WAS the week to rotate players more than usual. The thinner air, getting some 300 lb guys some snaps off to suck in some extra air/oxygen on the sideline is warranted.

I can't tell what that statement means (by Jones). Hopefully its more of the "I expect to be the starter and I'll bust my tail until I am" and less of the "if I am not starting, I am very apathetic and will just go through the motions".

Tomlin is a great motivator, suppposedly, and I am sure that he's in B Jones ear, telling him how he responds to being sidelined (rightfully so) for mistakes and poor play, will tell Tomlin and others alot about B Jones the person.

Hopefully he acknowledges his poor play and becomes the first guy at practice and the last to leave. Pour over game film, extra footwork drills, etc.

He seems to be an OL that likes to stop moving his feet quite often and tries to rely on upper body to fend off or redirect, but that, obvioulsy, works less in the pros than it did in college or high school

I hope Fautanu rubs off on Jones. Fautanu's quote about his college coach stating confidence comes from preparation...that should be Jones mantra for the next few years. Work you're tail off, watch film, ask questions and do extra reps in drills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I assume it is because he hasn't missed any time with the injury and there was no doubt he was going to play in the game. That gets back to some of the absurdity of the injury reports. By the end of the season, the entire roster has some sort of injury, but most of them are going to play anyway. This is why Tom Brady would be on the injury report for entire seasons. He was probably with a shoulder issue. It was Belichick's way of tweaking the league about something he did not like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The rotation was definitely a bad idea. So was having him try to play through the injury. At the very least, he should have been resting during the preseason.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Belichek started adding every bump and bruise because the league fined him for not following the rules.

Y’all keep making this injury excuse for jones, but if you look at last season we saw the same crap sans arm brace

22. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    That's a real mystery to me as well

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't Give up on any player in just two years of the NFL, and He hasn't even played two years yet. It takes 3 to 4 years to see what a player really is in the NFL....good , or bad. Hell I even gave T. Edmunds his end of the 3rd year before I was hard on him. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  24. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Ask the team. He clearly is.

25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Again. Go watch his play from last year and you’ll see the same crap without the brace. Particularly the last month or so he was terrible