1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on regular season wk 2....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 15, 2024 at 7:44 PM.

1. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Absolutely true. We can't just have one guy that goes deep. I will say that Pickens is doing a great job at being that one guy though. He's making some incredible catches, even when they get called back for someone else's penalty. Imagine what a threat he would be if he had a good WR2 on the other side of the field.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I didn't think the refs were nearly as bad this week as they were last. Yes, as normal, they had blown calls and bad calls. To some degree that's just a part of the game. At least this week, the pain was spread around a little bit better. Last week, I'm pretty sure that some fanatic falcons fan kidnapped the families of all the refs and threatened a terrible outcome if any penalties were called on them falcons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Omar Khan feels the same way.

These Scouts being sent there are not on accident. Depending on how the season goes, Pittsburgh will either opt for WR or QB in the early rounds. For that matter, Free Agency will assist a lot in terms of 2025.

For now, I'd still say give Fields a shot. The Justin Fields of 2024 is nothing like the Justin Fields of 2023. How so; decreased amount of turnovers.

Again, people really need to remember that having the immeasurable level of talent that Fields has doesn't simply vanish or go away. Can it erode?!... absolutely. Chicago's FO and Coaching didn't help him until his final season. However, the Justin Fields we are seeing now is much, much improved from a season ago.

Should he look vastly improved by seasons end?!... man.... tough call there. Big if.. but still... worth pondering about.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Yes, it does. I have my usual question of who is actually making these decisions. I don't know Pat Meyer's opinions either but I don't see anything that suggests he's a good OL Coach. While players have successfully changed positions, they will almost always play best if you keep them in the same spot.

Here are the OL added since 2023 began (with contracts of 3+ years):

• Jones - McCormick - Frazier - Seumalo - Fautanu
    • (Anderson)

You could switch the OTs and you could switch the OGs but that's how I'd line them up. Both OTs played LT in college. Seumalo has played both OG spots. Regardless, that could easily be the replacement plan for the expiring contracts of Moore and Daniels, not that they shouldn't play this year or that they couldn't be extended, but there's no reason to complicate things by playing guys all over the line.

5. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Hard to look good on offense when every big play you make is negated by penalty....Penalty cost 7-11 points in the first half alone for the steelers and it cost 60 yards and 1 TD pass in that half for Fields

The penalties were that bad in that game, I don't think we would have had more offensive production with Roethlisberger in his prime.

Btw, I don't blame the refs for the penalties, I blame the players, especially the o-line

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Look at the results. They are no different from what everyone complained about last season. Fields has just been flashier doing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They dealt with offensive line problems much of last season, too. At least this line has a competent center.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The steelers didn't have a single game last year that the penalties were more costly than the one in the Broncos game and it's not even close (7-11 points cost in the first half because of penalties). Same thing for the Falcons game with the Pickens penalty that could go either way...Fields can't control that....Even Roethlisberger in his prime, it would have been hard for him to overcome that

When the penalties stop, the points will come and historically under Tomlin, the Steelers have been able to correct penalty issues when it was a problem early in the season...Just need to bring the refs in practice this week like he did in the past like last year!

9. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Also stupid to compare a player with only 2 games with us vs a player with 24 starts

10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I just hope JF gets a few more games. You just HAVE to find out what you have in Fields. You have to think about the future a little.

Right now, my thought is that Fields could be a fine bridge QB, and possibly long term back-up, but he could change my mind.

RW might give us the best chance to win now, and If I thought we were a SB contender with him, I'd be screaming for him to be in there. But, I don't really believe that.

It couldn't have worked out better that Fields is starting, though. Starting Russ is just delaying everything. Finding the next QB is paramount.

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    7-11? More like 14-17.

12. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    I was on the minimun!

Like 3-7 points on the 50 yards pass to Pickens and 4 points to the TD of Pickens at the end of the half.2 big plays cancelled by penalty, without that it's 17-21 points in the first half alone

13. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    More than competent, Frazier has been a beast so far

14. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    The defense is what is helping them win.

18 points (all FGs and no TDs) from week one would barely cut it in a lot of games, and 13 wouldn't cut it in most games. But the D has kept the opponents from scoring much, so they're doing what is needed with an offense that is not getting into the red zone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I see you have some disagrees about this. IMO people are just fired up to be 2-0. I agree 100% Fields is nothing more then a back-up. I wanted Mayfield and I believe we'd be a much bigger threat to the better team with him. I believe Wilson's problems are worse then they are saying. Right now the better teams would eat us alive. Our D can only do so much.

Tell you what, let's re-visit this in 2 short weeks and see how others feel. We have to face Herbert and Richardson. I believe our D can keep score low against both of them. We shall see how the O does.

• Like Like x 3
  16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    We have not played the better teams yet but I think our healthy D will stand up to them but we will need TOUCHDOWNS. More then 1 every 2 games.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well then let him cook! They won't because he is turnover prone. He has not left his shortcomings in Chicago.

And do you believe that will get them far? I don't. Yes he can run but the rest of his game needs improvement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Many are not agree with this but my point is when a team have so many costly penalties,this is very hard for any QB and offense to have good production on offense.....I mean even if it was Roethlisberger in his prime yesterday,our offense would not been much better in the same context

19. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    The number of three and outs is way down. TOP matters when you're relying on the D to win games.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Fields was great in the first half....the steelers would've 17-21 points in the scoreboard without penalties in the first half who was such a killer.Hard to overcome that even if it was Rothlisberger in his prime as QB

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Didn't see the game. Did Fields and the Steelers offense use the middle of the field this week?

22. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Two ROAD wins...

23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    He was accurate. He was on time. Hell the only possible mistake he made was a tipped pass that might have been an int had it not been tipped.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Complete different discussion about Fields this week if Jones would been clean on this play....Such a shame

• Like Like x 2
  25. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016