1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on regular season wk 2....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 15, 2024 at 7:44 PM.

1. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    that long pass to pickens was thrown up for grabs. Wasnt a gimme.

2. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    The reason some of us like Fields is that we compare him to the last two "starters" Tomlin had trotted out there. Fields, so far, is much better than Trub and Pickett, so it is only logical to conclude Fields is a good starter given the last two starters (i.e. the standard set by Tomlin for what a Steeler starting QB should be).

Similarly, MR looked like a much better "starter" than Trub and Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    agree generally. We do need to see more of Fields. What if Wilson comes in and we never see Fields again in any meaningful minutes this season? Will be interesting to see what they do in the offseason. I’d still go for that first round Qb if available. My hesitation with Fields is he’s never been a consistent passer. Not in Chicago, and i havent seen any consistency here yet either - just flashes. I think people are enamored of fields flash and what he could be.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2024 at 10:37 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    That was an incredible pass...Very few QB can throw that type of pass from 50 yards outside of the pocket like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. LoneHorseman

LoneHorseman Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Aside from that one hold, Dan Moore had another solid game. Fields very good first half, deer in headlights a bit too often in the second half. Two wins from mediocre teams, this team still has quite a bit more questions than answers, most of it on offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Two weeks in a row, fields has been hit by a snap that he wasn't looking for. There is some kind of a disconnect between him and the center. I think it was two different centers as well wasn't it? Either a signal or timing is off and that needs to be fixed before it ends up being a fumble six.

Fantastic reaction by Warren to save that play.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2024 at 11:50 PM
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Pickens won the battle with Surtain, but We desperately need a #2 WR.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    13 points and blaming the refs may not win the next four games (Chargers, Colts, Cowboys, Raiders). Time to dial things up a bit

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    CJ Stroud led the NFL last season with an average of less than 300 yards per game. It's not the number. It's the effectiveness.

10. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    as long as we keep winning i guess.

11. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    That's reasonable B & G. Where I draw the line is when people want to ordain him the starter when he hasn't shown the ability to take over a game. I see excuses from people. "Well, the officials screwed him." He has lost a couple of big plays because of questionable penalties. The officiating has nothing to do with his failure to go through progressions or his tendency to lock on to his first read. Or take needless sacks. "Well, the offensive line cost him today." It's true. Could have cost whoever was back there. But he had decent line play last week and still failed to lead a TD drive.

I want to give a healthy Wilson a chance with this offense. If he struggles, then Fields is plan B. Despite what vibes Tomlin might be sending out about Fields, he and Khan brought Russell Wilson in to be the starting QB until or unless he's ineffective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Well, I would submit that a solid NFL starter would overcome the penalties and continue to push the ball down the field. Good QB's get bad calls against their offenses just as much as Fields has the last two games. The difference is they overcome them. Good QB's sometimes get spotty offensive line play, but they find a way to overcome it. If I find I'm trying to make excuses to make a player look better than he is, then he probably really isn't that good to begin with. Will Wilson me exponentially better with the same group? I don't know, but neither do you. i know he has the resume' and Fields doesn't Wilson deserves a chance to get the job when he is healthy. If he stinks, then they can always go back to Fields.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Fields has one touchdown pass in two games. The team has scored 15 points per game. He made a few pretty plays, but no, he's not really doing any better than what Pickett did last year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    He has made some plays, but I'm not sold. I firmly believe when Wilson is ready, he's in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Hopefully offense keeps gelling and gets on track… after 2 games we are avg 15.1 pts per game… sound familiar… but 2-0 sounds good

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    The entire handling of the OL has been terrible for about six years. They watched Pouncey, DeCastro, and others get old with no plan to replace any of them. They hired a total moron in Canada as OC and, until this season, cycled through some other pretty unimpressive coaches on Offense. Finally, last year, they start to rebuild the unit. In 2023, they use their 1st rounder on OT and give a decent sized FA contract at OG. This year, they hired a competent OC in Smith and used their 1st, 2nd and 4th rounders on more OLineman. They take all of that, and for no discernible reason, decide to play most of them out of position and create a mess.

They badly mishandled Dotson and are doing it all over again with Jones who sure seems to be hurt. If not for an injury to Herbig, who was being played out of position at Center just like Green before him, Frazier would likely be standing on the sidelines all game. Are they planning to give Moore a new contract? Where is the best position for Fautanu? Is Spencer Anderson really the best replacement for Seumalo? It goes on and on. What genius decided to rotate OTs today? You never do that. This isn't gym class.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2024 at 11:17 PM
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I was surprised to see we ran for 141 yards, it didn't seem like we had the running game going at all but despite the patchwork offensive line 141 yards is pretty good.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is slightly inflated by Fields, though Harris and Warren both averaged over four yards per carry.

20. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Fields has thrown the ball fast, has run fast, and has shown ability to escape pressure - all of those are better than Pickett’s weak arm, slow running, and dancing into pressure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I agree with all of the above. I still contend that whatever super secret technique Pat Meyer is trying to teach these guys to use is either trash or it’s just too complicated for them to pick up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The stat that means more to me is that Fields in the past has been a turnover machine. He has played 2 games and not a single turnover. He is improving and will continue to improve.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    That is something that the Steelers always seem to do. If they get a little bit of a lead, they always seem to try and protect that lead rather than extend it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Fields is at an age where he still has a lot of potential years ahead of him. Wilson is long in the tooth. While both are one year rentals right now, I can't see us continuing long-term with Wilson because he will cost a fortune and at that point we are paying a lot of money for a late 30s quarterback.

Fields however, would be worth the money if he gets a bunch of play time this year and shows the team that he belongs on it as the starter. So far, he's an improvement over what we had last year.

I think next year, we try and get a high draft pick QB and if fields has proved himself, resign him. Then we have an open competition for that QB1 spot. I can't see us bouncing from year to year while taking glory day quarterbacks from other teams and expecting to do well long-term. We need to find that franchise guy. It won't be Wilson. And the jury is still out on Fields....imo

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

What's even worse?! Tomlin drafted the likes of Pouncey, DeCastro, Foster, Gilbert and even took a flier on Alejandro Villanueva. Those players ended up working out quite well; playing them in their natural positions being a massive factor.. minus Big Al. Fast forward to now?! Tomlin doesn't seem what to do with developing the Offensive Line.

Andy Weidl and Omar Kahn can only do so much. Tomlin has to place his players in positions to win and he has not done that in five seasons. Something has to give here.

• Agree Agree x 1