1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If I’m Not Starting, I Really Don’t Feel Like I Should Be Playing:’ Broderick Jones

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 15, 2024 at 8:54 PM.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He can stay on the bench until he decides he wants to play better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He’s trending like Dotson, sad as it is… imo make up of a beast but can’t figure it out. Atleast here yet… Can’t blame him with all the underlying factors but he ain’t doin himself no favors. He should’ve surapssed Moore for his side buuuuuuut has he hasn’t. Is it the head coach or what? Who knows anymore

4. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This kind of attitude has not gone well for any player on this team for the last 5+ years.

More of these comments and he’ll be elsewhere soon enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    They are professionals. Play better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Tomlin has botched his development as well. Let's not forget that Broderick already had limited experience playing the Left Tackle position coming out of Georgia. While Tomlin did have him and Moore battle it out in his Rookie Season, Broderick should have never received the nod to play Right Tackle against Jacksonville last season. Tomlin should have had Jones stay behind Moore and allow them to battle it out throughout the 2023 Season. That would have been the better method as opposed to playing him out of position; something Tomlin has been now know for the past five seasons.

Broderick's Preseason Performance, along with Today's, has not helped his case. He has not played well and likely has his confidence zapped. That said, Tomlin is not blameless in any of this.

I was on record in stating how Tomlin botched Kevin Dotsons development. I will stand by my statement on the colossal eff up regarding the development of Broderick Jones thus far. Flip flopping young Offensive Tackles, doubly so who are both raw and inexperienced, is a recipe for disaster.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did it seem like the run game struggled after he was yanked? The ground game seemed to get off track and not sure why, I'm sure it had little to do with Jones and more that Smith was overthrowing his play calls.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I wouldn't say the Run Game fell off when Broderick was pulled. I'd say the run game fell off because James Daniels got whooped pretty damn good by Zach Allen. Dan Moore less so but he also had a day to forget.

9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am going to stick up for Jones here.

I get what he is saying. Basically, if I'm not starting, I shouldn't be playing.

It sounds a lot like a guy acknowledging that if he lost his spot then he shouldn't be mixing in and out. I am sure he isn't happy about being benched. This comes across to me as a guy that's down on himself.

The bigger problem here is the way the Steelers are running the O-line this year. Quit switching guys in and out. Quit moving guys from side to side. Pick your best 5, and that's what you go with. Let them gel as a unit.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2024 at 9:46 PM
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Somehow I get a feeling this was taken out of context.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Jones is right... it's amateur hour with the RT rotation between two first round LTs. It's hard to dream these things up.

What is gained by rotating RTs? Doesn't OL gel as a unit that plays together over and over? Seriously, what is gained by rotating RTs?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Oline is a work in progress. Im glad we have tackle depth

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I thought the run game looked nice. We had a lot of big holes today... Daniels definitely struggled, but that is pretty unusual. Moore just kinda played like he usually does... back to earth from last week.

I also agree with Broderick's statement, even if he probably shouldn't have said it. You can't "bench" a guy then half ass it by "rotating him in" which in reality probably hurts both Jones AND Fautanu's ability to perform at their best. If you bench him, fine. That's your decision... but don't do it half-way. He's either the guy you want out there or not... Another HIGHLY puzzling stance taken by Tomlin.

The man's personnel decisions seem to not be well thought out at all, and he picks and chooses reasons to do things (sometimes seemingly on a whim). Benched Chuks because he overheard him say something negative about Canada's playcalling in order to make an excuse to get Jones out there, players can't lose their job to injury unless you're Kenny Pickett (this was the right decision, but against everything he's said he stands for), benching Jones but not benching him... only to bench him lol, Gunner losing his PR job then being kept for the following year instead of the guy who beat him out..... Then dudes who suck for long periods of time (sometimes for multiple years) don't even get looked at for being replaced. I'm talking about Mason Cole, Levi Wallace, Dan Moore, Shamarko Thomas, among others.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Again, Moore has been the Steelers best Offensive Lineman thus far dating back to the Preseason. Zach Frazier would be a close second. While today has not a good day for Moore, to say he plays like he usually does simply isn't true.

Moore's overall discipline and technique have improved substantially from last season. He is much better than he ever was in 2023. If anything, Moore's ability to hold off both Troy Fautanu and Broderick Jones should be commended for the team has went out of their way to actively replace him.

Should Moore have a rock solid season, someone will pay him well for certain. Doesn't seem like it but even starting Left Tackles are extremely hard to come by. Hell, even a good one, such as Garrett Bolles, will command a lot of money.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed it is. Something I have outlined since OTAs. Growing pains will naturally happen.

That all said, it'd be better if the pains were of the unit playing together and not through external factors; "merry go 'round" with positions being a start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah I don't want to hang that drop off on Jones but there were good runs and then some times when it looked horrible. I'd like to see what kind of push they get when they are fully healthy. I also renew my objection to using Heyward or any other TE as lead blocker. Just not effective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I honestly don't get why they couldn't use Pruitt for that before the injury. Would make a lot more sense. Yes, Heyward has leverage but that is all he has.

Get someone with more size if you are going to use a lead blocking Tight End.

18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Moore's been one of the lowest rated tackles to get starting snaps since he's been with us. He's consistently played at a back up or worse level. Its awesome that he had a good game in week 1 so he can say he was our best lineman for a week, but he's played 50 games as a pro and dozens of them have looked like today did. He has to have more than one good game for me to really get behind considering him a "much improved player". It's nice that he had a quality preseason, but I care a lot more about what the players look like in actual games.

Still a long way to go before we start thinking about anyone getting paid. He's probably on an Andrus Peat level in terms of performance over the past few years, but if he has a good year I can see him get into the Alaric Jackson/Patrick Mekari range. 1-2 years and somewhere between 2 and 5 million based on his play is probably his range. Good money, but I can't see someone picking him up as their long term starting option. There aren't a ton of good tackles in the league, so I am sure he will be competing for a starting job wherever he goes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I care a lot about the 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers. That includes the 2024 version of Dan Moore. So far so good for him. I hope he can keep it up.

As far as teams paying him?! Oh in fact they will. Assuming he stays healthy and continues to play well, he will have played 66 out of 67 games... at the age of 25 when he hits NFL Free Agency. How many Offensive Tackles enter FA with that many games under their belt; doubly so in todays NFL?! Not many.

20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
  21. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Its been two different outcomes for sure, a good week 1 followed up with a not so good week 2.

As I stated, yeah, someone will pay him but his 2024 is going to determine how much. He has a lot of experience, but a lot of that is putting not good tape on film. In order to get paid the big boy bucks, he would have to be considered a long term starting option and he would have to play exceptionally well for the whole season for that to even be a true consideration.

22. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Meyer may be the new Canada

or does Tomlin have a hand in this? Who knows. They better fix the O line if they want to go anywhere this season. Chargers are up next and they have a good D this year

23. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Now that you mention it, you and Glenn might very well be right. Never known Jones to be a malcontent. I think he is battling an injury. And playing out of position. I think if he can healthy, he'll be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I like Tomlin getting in Broderick's ear after they brought him back to the bench.

• Agree Agree x 1