1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on regular season wk 2....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 15, 2024 at 7:44 PM.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. The stats won't show it, but Justin fields was quite good

2. Watching Broderick Jones single handedly kill what would've been a glorious drive was painful... near as I could tell, he didn't see the field for the rest of the game

3. Troy Fautanu looked quite good

4. James Daniels and Dan Moore had games to forget

5. Boz was money as usual

6. The refs robbed Pickens of a TD.... that contact was initiated by the defender

7. Cory Trice looked like a seasoned veteran on that int.

8. Corliss Waitman was booming his punts ..
    Makes me wonder how he didn't suplant Presley Harvin a long time ago

9. Patrick Queen doesn't look like he has a full grasp of the defense yet

10. I just didn't see the penalties against Joey Porter Jr...... only one appeared to be legit

11. The Denver O-line should've been called for more holding penalties than they did

12. Beautiful to see the ravens and Bengals at 0-2

13. Nice to see Mount Washington getting his 1st td

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Why is our O Line having trouble?

Fields might have been ok or serviceable but i dont get this talk of being our starter. To me he hasnt done anything to make me think he should supplant Wilson, who hasnt even had a chance to get on the field yet

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  3. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Same ole

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TapOut64

TapOut64 Active Member

Sep 23, 2015
    At first glance with Fields only having 117 passing yards I was wondering myself but factor in the pass he threw on a dime to Pickens that was called back due to penalty, and heck, Mahomes only had 151 yards passing, at home nonetheless, and I am starting to like Mr. Fields.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Fields is a back-up, that's his ceiling. Right now, he's treading water until Wilson is ready. That said, this offensive line could be great, it just needs more time to work together. i think at this stage of his career, Smith's offense is tailor made for Wilson's game. The other issue I see offensively is that they desperately need someone to step up and take ownership of being the second receiver. They also need to find a punt returner. Austin stinks.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The points and TD on offense will come soon if penalties stop

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Fields was solid in the 1st half then the bottom fell out.

Can't have a steady diet of turtle.

Defense was solid with a few missteps.

I don't understand why Smith doesn't throw on 1st down. Does Fields not know how to run play action? Or any pass for that matter. To predictable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    at least 60-70 passing yards was nullified by penalties for Fields today....at least 36 last week....It can't continue

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. DIzzyG3015

DIzzyG3015 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2022
    Weak logic, 150 is standard for fields but certainly not for mahomes. I dont get why people think so positively of Fields, he looks like pickett 2.0 to me. The only real upside is he does not throw interceptions but pickett also hasnt for a lot of games last year

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Please for the Pickett comparaison.....Did you see his throw of 50 yards to Pickens in this game who was nullified by Penalty?....Pickett would never been able to do this

Pickett has zero ceilling.For Fields,around 100 passing yards was nullified by penalties in the first 2 week

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The defense has only given up 16 points in two games, and created turnovers in both games :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Frazier might have been the only starter on the offensive line who played well. Moore took a killer hold. Daniels got his butt kicked consistently. Fautanu missed some big blocks. Jones was a disaster. That group has to get a lot better.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    100% agree.

But... it ain't gonna happen with rotating RTs, LT first rounders playing RT, and useless OL coach who will never be replaced.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Probably my most disappointing aspect of the team so far.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    his first half was pretty damn impressive, the second half it's hard to place blame on him. The penalties, play calling, over all play just sucked. We need a legitimate number 2, hell grab allen robinson off lions PS, at least he can block.

16. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I mean.....Fields has been serviceable, and it's true he has had some nice throws wiped out by penalties. BUT, if you watch the guy, he locks in on read one. He dumps the ball off to the safety valve without looking elsewhere. He holds the ball too long at times AND he has an annoying tendency to fumble. I will say he has avoided dangerous throws for the most part. The issue is, they have beat two run of the mill teams. Can we trust a Fields led offense to put up points when they play competent NFL QB's? I don't have a whole lot of faith.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    14. Fumble Fields

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    hard to blame the D for anything when they were on the field the entire 2nd half.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Yeah the defense has been awesome so far.

20. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Fields actually played quite well i thought.. no, he didn't light it up on offense.. who could with that offensive line and receiving corps though? he had some great plays called back by penalties.. he also made some nice plays downfield that resulted in pass interference. all in all, this offense needs to get better.. it was nice to see us utilizing the tight ends, for a bit... and then we went right back to typical Steelers offense and pretended they didn't exist in the second half. the offense obviously needs to improve, because it's not good enough to beat teams with better offenses. the line needs to come together and this team needs to upgrade at wide receiver.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  21. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Not many QB in the NFL can overcome the penalties like the steelers had today.If the steelers would score 21 points in the first half,who would likely been the case without penalties,many would change this discussion on Fields....

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Fields looked much better this week than he did last week. There were so many penalties that killed drives and brought back some great plays by him. I still want to see what Wilson can do, but Fields is only 25 and COULD be the future, where as Wilson is a 1 year rental and will be somewhere else.

Offensive line needs to figure it out (how many years have we said that?)
    Defense looks solid. Really like where this unit is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't necessarily disagree with any of this. I just can't understand why people are so ready to leave Wilson on the bench.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    We all know the answer to that.

25. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Fields is younger and has more upside....

• Agree Agree x 2