1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Fields is thinking if I run for 2 TDs and throw for 3 TDs I could take this job

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jamie, Sep 14, 2024 at 10:37 AM.

1. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Over permanently this week! Maybe just maybe the break out game is coming in Denver. I know, I know a lot of very optimistic emojis, LOL. DAMN I’m waiting for someone to take the reigns.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Seems every Steeler fan I've talk to thinks Fields is going to be the guy this season. They feel as I do, he will perform better in Denver.

If Fields has 2 rushing TD's and 3 passing TD's we must be in week 6. Just goofing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I think Tomlin take it one week at the time at this point

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    At this point I will settle for 1 TD.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He threw for 4 scores in back to back weeks last season against Denver and Vikes so it’s possible he has a good game.

It would certainly help his chances of keeping the starting job even when Wilson gets healthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    anything mre than 'Steelers win the toss and elect for a FG" will be welcome, lol

• Like Like x 2
  8. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    There's obviously a divide with those who want to see what they have in Fields and those who think Wilson gives them the better chance due to his past. I think what that group of people are seriously underestimating is Wilson's potential lack of mobility. He had already lost much of his ability to move and escape the pocket, now add in what could be a year long nagging injury and that spells disaster.

I don't feel like he's enough of an upgrade to risk the sack numbers soaring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I expect Wilson to be the starter against the Chargers in week 3.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Asking if Fields is thinking that 2 Rush TDs and 3 pass TDs is what he needs is oddly specific, and I doubt that’s what he’s thinking. I’m guessing job #1 for him, as dictated by the coaching staff, is to not be the reason the team loses.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The determining factor in a permanent switch to Fields as the starter will be that conditional pick. If Fields looks like the long term solution and an extension after the season is likely then yes he is named the starter and they are fine with giving the Bears the fourth round pick. If not then they stay with Wilson and Fields plays less than 50% and costs the original 6th round.

12. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Then that means you expect the Steelers to lose to Denver tomorrow. Tomlin isn't going to switch from Fields after a win.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah, that is exactly what he is thinking. Justin probably understands that this is a huge opportunity and if he plays awesome, there is a good chance that he keeps the starting job. Hell, if he has a great season, he might even earn a contract to remain the starter for multiple more years....

I'd really like to see us sell out on offense to make him work. Call a "Justin Fields" gameplan and don't try to make him something he isn't. He is every bit as talented as Jalen Hurts... Lets use him that way.

To me, the magic number is 270. I think that is what Justin needs to give us offensively on a game to game basis for us to have a really good offense. I don't care how he gets it, but its probably along the lines of 220 in the air and 50 on the ground. He does that, and he will be the guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not even sure he will be healthy by week three. The calf thing seems to be lingering.

15. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I will take ANY 5 TD performance by the Steelers offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe You are exactly point on in this.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    I honestly don’t care who starts or wins the position, I just want one of them to step up and show they deserve it.

18. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Fields was 3-4 on pass over 10 yards vs Falcons according to this....Need more and more pass attempts from this distance!

19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    First and foremost protect the football. If Fields can play turnover free, and the Steelers keep winning, it's going to be tough to take him off the field.

This offense isnt going to put up a ton of points. If the Steelers can average in the low 20s they are going to win a lot of games.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2024 at 9:25 AM
  20. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Fields 3 passing TDs :roflmao:

I saw a unicorn in my backyard as well

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I expect a game plan very similar to last week where they run the ball repeatedly, taking the odd low percentage shot on 1st and 2nd down.

As somebody else said his primary instruction will be to protect the football rather than play hero ball. I dont think the game plan will allow him to throw multiple TD’s and that’s fine once they come away with the W

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think all of his passes that traveled more than 10 yards past the LOS traveled more than 30 yards past the LOS. We will need the intermediate passing game when we start playing better teams. Also, I’m not sure that PFF grades missed opportunities when receivers are available to throw to and the QB runs instead. I’m glad that Fields had a solid game, but he still needs to grow and do better at taking what the defense is giving him. I feel that’s especially important when I read that the Broncos are planning for him like a running back. If I take that at face value, there will be open receivers behind the defenders coming up to meet Fields and there will be opportunities to make them pay. Fields needs to see those opportunities develop and take advantage. If he can do that consistently, I will start to get more comfortable with him as our QB.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Yeah,I agree for the intermediate passing game....I think we could see more of that today in the middle of the field since the broncos have a great CB and last week they avoid the middle of the field because the falcons had a great duo of safety...we will see I guess....

Last edited: Sep 15, 2024 at 7:53 AM
  24. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    protect the football is paramount, sustaining drives and winning TOP, but you cannot rely on Boz week in and out (especially with 50 plus yard FG's) to be your main O weapon. This team needs to score TD's. Low 20's is a realistic goal, the 10th highest scoring team last year was around 25, not suggesting we could get there, but 6 Fg's a game is not going to cut it in a long season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1