1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Troy Fautanu Will Start At RT vs Denver and Broderick Jones on the bench???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 12, 2024.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It's crazy. I don't even consider Dan Moore a better player than Jones, so I don't know why he is getting preferential treatment. Broderick out-played Moore all year last year when he was in. It wasn't like Jones was a Pro Bowler or anything, but it was exciting to see that a young guy without much starting experience really showed well for himself as a rookie. Now we've handcuffed Jones' progress at LT because scrub Moore can't play RT for some reason and now we're considering benching the kid we traded up for less than 18 months ago....

The reality is that Moore is a bad player. No way to sugar coat it, he's a LT only and not a very good one. I hope that this is only a speculation and the plan is to go with Jones, otherwise it would be yet another horrific roster mismanagement by Tomlin. Yippee.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes - can we say that 10 more times, maybe someone will understand??!?!?!

:facepalm:

3. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah, I don't care about that tbh. We drafted tackles in the first round in consecutive drafts BECAUSE Dan Moore sucks, not because we thought he was good. Now that they are here (and Broderick played fine week 1, so I don't know why we're in a hurry to sit him), we are hard set keeping the guy in there that we were so desperate to replace? Just doesn't make sense.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Frazier was far closer to a finished product when he was drafted. Jones was a lot less experienced coming out of college.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If Jones sits this week, I assume it would be because he is not healthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    All I can say is my belief that Pat Meyer is the cause for all these O-Line problems continue.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    True ... but Jones had a year in the NFL. I would expect him to be further along in his development at this point. The injury does cloud things I am sure, thats why sitting him and letting him practice on the left to establish some confidence is probably the best thing.

8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    this - he is young. Needs coaching , needs healing from that injury. but yes - very young. Will be just fine.

9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    If he says he can't gonna have to take him at his word. He's a bad LT, so I can't imagine what it looks like at RT
    Hard to use that as an excuse when he was healthy enough to start last week. I assume that is the route they will go if they do sit him, but everyone knows what that really means.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Some get things in their heads, and No amount of evidence will change it. Some make fun of me for being so called wishy-washy, but it's just that new evidence can sway me....which I believe is better than....this is how it is, and no matter what is shown to be true....I will not change my mind. JMO

11. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    You mean like you and running quarterbacks?:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes exactly. When I get more evidence that a Qb that rushes over 100 times a year brings SB wins....I will change My mind....I said change with evidence.....yet the evidence hasn't changed.

13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

so - we need to be careful w data analysis.

Not many QBs in the history of the game have rushed over 100x a year - in other words, we have a very small sample size.

trust me - in the next 5-10 years, a QB (and I would say team - as everyone is fixated on QB) that rushes 100x a year will win a SB. The Eagles and Ravens have been very close. Josh Allen as well.

the game is evolving.

stay tuned.....

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We shall see, and if , and when it happens....the evidence will have changed, and therefore my thoughts.....will have changed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Now maybe you can understand some of my frustration with MT.

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You just had to go there

17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I think you and I share a lot of the same frustrations with ol' Coach T... lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

spoken like a true politician.:cool:

the evidence has changed...b/c the game has changed.

it will happen - it did not happen 10 -20 years ago because QB's NEVER ran 100 x a season.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Why? If he continues to play through the injury, the injury can get worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Should the team bench Broderick Jones... it will not be because of Troy Fautanu but because of the performance by Broderick Jones. It has been well documented already that his performances have been either poor or downright atrocious. That elbow injury he sustained in Training Camp has to be the reason as to such as Pat Meyer teaches the importance of using independent usage of the hands but most of all the importance of first contact with the opposing rusher.

Broderick didn't have these problems as a Rookie nearly as much. Was he still very raw and had serious areas to address?! Yes.. but not to the extent that we see. Overall, it just has been a very forgetful 2024 for Broderick Jones.

That all said, do I still very much believe in Broderick Jones?! I do; doubly so given his serious lack of experience playing. His potential is still very much sky high and the talent is still very much there. Thing is, he is injured and, as a result, his confidence in his technique has fallen. Benching him will do a lot more good than harm for him.

Side note: Comparing Jamain Stephens to Broderick Jones at this point is silly. Stephens downfall was a severe lack of work ethic and desire to better himself. Broderick hasn't not shown and does not show any of these issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Of course it is partially due to Fautanu, because if they think Fautanu is better than Jones, it is partially due to how Fautanu has looked to warrant that belief. Partially the blame is on Jones too.

I do think that the Jamain Stephens comparison is a bit silly, but not completely unwarranted. Dan Moore has been the worst starting tackle the league has to offer since his time starting in Pittsburgh. It's not like Jones has a good player in front of him to beat out. If he isn't able to beat out a poor player now well into year 2, then it is fair to question whether or not he will ever be a starting caliber player. Can he still? Sure. But it isn't unreasonable that a shade of doubt has crept in.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    By the Steelers?

24. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012