1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Here People

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by S.T.D, Sep 11, 2024.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I will agree as well; provided he does much better than in game one.

2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    but your a Fields hater lol. Jk bro

i am pretty quiet when it comes to debating the effectiveness of Fields. Last year I supported KFP and looking back on that train wreck I am disappointed. I want to see how this plays out before I pass too much judgement. I thought JTs coverage was fair. Fields did some good things and some bad things

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1st it was We aren't running plays to the middle of the field, and then when tape shows what some of us have seen....that they did have routes to the middle of the field.....now its.....they told Him to not throw them. LoL
    So then explain why the targets are looking at him to throw it????
    I believe, and I have no proof , but that they didn't start that way, but changed to that mindset later in the game....because the play calling shows that a bit.....but the earlier plays shows the targets looking for the ball. People don't some of You find it funny this is the same things said by people with certain Qbs last year......Yet when other Qbs played all of sudden .....those Qbs were throwing into the middle of the field....., but hey people... believe what you want. I can only say what is on the actual game tape/film......I can't read minds.....,,but I have never ever heard a coach ever say ......hey we are running routes, and if they are open....don't throw it.....,,but I have heard of coaches, and player sticking up for bad play.
    That's all I got on the subject. Believe what makes You feel the best, and more power to everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude. I want Him to be great. He's Young, athletic, and a very nice kid from what I've heard, and read. I just find it funny the same exact same things that were said about one Qb last year, but not about the others, are now being said again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I don't believe one thing or another. As I said, no one really knows for sure. Just stating an opinion. I assume you're ok with that, no?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, it may be simply a repeat of everything we have already seen. He could be great but I will settle for good at this point. I like the fact he has the legs and athleticism however, I NEVER want to see him bailing like KFP did. He has to work on his reads and he can't throw it behind receivers like he has been doing. I will give him credit for doing enough to win a game when the plan was not to go with him against Atlanta.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes....I'm totally cool with it, and I was just stating mine. It's all good.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Same Here.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I said this in another thread but I’m sure coaches are not saying don’t throw it to open players what they are saying is protect the ball at all costs and don’t take chances. That mentality has all these QBs second guessing themselves and throwing 2 yard outs, check downs or running. They are scared to make a mistake or probably feel MT will bench them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now that I can buy. That is reasonable. Because We seen Trubisky, and Mason throw into the middle of the field,,but Not Fields, and Kenny P.
    That makes more sense....than game planing someone into the middle of the field, and then saying......don't throw it there. They being young maybe afraid to do it.
    Yes . I like this explanation better. LoL

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Fields played better than I expected overall, but other than that truly beautiful sail route throw to Pickens before halftime and the throw where Pickens pushed off, his passing looked more like that of a solid backup than that of a starter for a team with postseason aspirations. More growth is needed. I’m hopeful, but not expecting great things. A couple of things:

1. On the run for a first down on our first 3rd down: I’m not going to get down on him for that. He turned down an open, but not wide open, receiver at the sticks. However, he had a pretty easy running lane to the first down. I’m not going to get on a QB for taking an easy first down with his legs when it’s right there in front of him.

2. That said, he hesitated to pull the trigger too many times when the receivers were open. He has to see things opening up sooner and be decisive.

3. If your QB needs to run the ball 14 times just to put 18 points on the board, there’s work to do with the QB and the whole offense. That’s a recipe for Kyle Allen to get significant snaps.

There is no doubt that Fields checks every box in terms of physical talent, but he looks more like a high-ceiling rookie out there than a 4th year vet. He has the potential to be a really good QB, but it’s going to take a lot of work on the mental side of the game. Study, study, study.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, it was never that but if you don’t like passing charts than look at the route charts and see how much the MOF is employed. It’s undeniable but people don’t want to let go of their agendas so a missed open receiver in the MOF becomes they were running 50 routes and missing 20 open receivers there.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m pretty sure just about everyone here said Fields was just ok on Sunday. I don’t recall anyone acting like he was Mahomes out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    well I don't get the argument.. He didn't complete a single pass over the middle. Presumably his coaches jump to his defense and decide hell if he's not going to throw over the middle there's nothing we can do so we'll shelve a big part of our offense and just call the throws he wants to make. So I guess I'm done with this. I am probably too dense to understand it all

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The argument that people who want to defend Tomlin should be making is that he isn’t the only one whose team does this. Lot of them do. Higher percentage of turnovers occur in the MOF and yes, I’m sure the level of QB play figures into the equation of making the determination on how much to employ that area of the field.

We have not had good QB play in quite a while so they are going to want to try and keep the turnovers down. Comes down to the coaches philosophy, I don’t agree with playing it that safe, think you need to be aggressive in this league in order to compete with the top teams. To be fair they did open it up against Buffalo in the playoffs. If they continue to play situational football like that from opponent to opponent then I’m fine with that as long as they win.

• Like Like x 2
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This wasn't about that. This was about the....we have no routes to the middle of the field. That's why I posted it. To show that that was not true.

17. LoneHorseman

LoneHorseman Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Atlanta and Denver??? That's not an impressive body of work to annoint anyone as an automatic starter for the rest of the year. I see these two QBs as a game to game decision, depending on how good their last game was. Not a very enviable situation we're in this season.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Just say it was wrong. There were 4 that I remember, and maybe more that I don't..... 4 is way different than 0. Is it not??? Also Your vaunted route charts shows none....yet the actual game tape shows that's not true. Yet instead of looking at what actually happened.....some would rather go by a chart. Seems like that's burying the head in the sand because it doesn't support a claim....., but that's just me, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.....but people don't say something didn't happen.....when someone can actually point to actual film, and show that it did......unless people think the film is fake. :shrug:
    Hell there are still people that are arguing there were none, and will not watch the video that clearly shows there were some.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know if you are being obtuse on purpose or not but I know I have zero chance making you see otherwise.

20. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    As I had said before, two things can be true here. It is possible that Smith told Fields to stay away from the m.o.f. Again, it could be coach speak but no one here knows for sure which came first. Yet, fans will continue to come their own conclusions.

Regarding the routes, it would not only be possible but expected for Smith to still have routes going through the middle of the field. Schematically, they're trying to clear out or draw defenders to a certain area. That's not a hard concept to grasp if you watch enough football. That doesn't mean that Fields has any intention of throwing to those routes based on Smith's instructions. Of course the receivers are going to look back at the quarterback. That's what they're conditioned to do and maybe with broken coverage one is so undeniably open that Fields has to make the throw.
    To reiterate again though, no one knows for sure and they got the win so at this point it's a pretty senseless argument unless it is a glaring trend throughout the season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Dude if you can’t tell that they are game planning away from the MOF I don’t know what to tell you.

You even have Smith saying they purposely stayed away from throwing there because of Bates.

Your own video of JT shows there weren’t many routes run there. Running your scrubs Jefferson and Washington through there isn’t a serious attempt to use that portion of the field, more like just clearing out space.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think avoiding Bates is an honest answer, but maybe not complete. I wonder if there was a more specific concern about Fields being manipulated into a turnover by Bates and Simmons (who is also a solid, savvy safety).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Smith might have mentioned him in that clip as well. I Know I heard his name mentioned somewhere.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Who is being obtuse. You said there were none....I showed there were some. There is a big difference between none, and some.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See now if You didn't say none....there would be no argument, but you did, and you even use chart to try backing it up....yet the film shows some. The whole argument is over .......quite simply people saying there were none. I don't know how to make this anymore simple. I would not have said one thing of people said......We didn't use the middle of the field much, but that's not what was said, and you know it.....what was said was we didn't use the middle of the field at all, they completely ignored the middle of the field, and as My eyes, anyone's eyes that watched the game, and the video shows that was incorrect. It really that simple.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1