1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Former NFL Ref Says Pickens Was Wrongly Flagged For Pass Interference

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 10, 2024.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Refs SUCKED on Sunday.

NFL must have looked at the game as one of the 'lesser' on the docket and put out their 3rd string.

2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

there is pushing on almost every downfield pass play.

this was a garbage call.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, but his arms were extended. That is why it was called.

The point many are making is that what Pickens did is rarely called. Steratore, who knows more about this than any of us, is saying he wouldn't have called it.

You are right. Technically, it was the right call. Technically, they can flag that and holding on just about every play.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Funny, and I agree that Pickens made a mistake, on of many he made in the game. He didn't have to push off. He had position and the ball was well thrown.

It is still the sort of push that usually isn't flagged, which is why it was a bad call. It is the inconsistency that is a problem.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    In one of the video reviews, the reviewer said NFL rule explicitly states “offensive player can contact the defender, and it’s only a penalty if there’s significant contact”.

if that’s the rule, Pickens didn’t do anything wrong. When running full speed and looking up and back with a DB right there, it’s better for Pickens to assume the DB is going to be making contact so Pickens should brace himself (and push a bit). That’s how good WRs play and should play.

it’s kind of odd to expect the WR to know if the DB will or will not close the gap in order to decide whether or not he should brace/get ready for contact that is explicitly permissible by rule.

• Like Like x 2
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This exactly

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Never ever put your crimes in writing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    the F--n refs can go f- themselves they all hate on the Steelers maybe Belicheat still pays them even though he is no longer coach

9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You of all people know better than anyone that a lot of penalties are called inconsistently in the NFL. It wasn't just technically the right call. It was the right call. When you push off and gain separation, you gain an unfair advantage over the DB. That is exactly what Pickens did.

The fact that OPI doesn't get called often doesn't change the fact that it was the correct call.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

it is ALL subjective - THAT is the point

just like holding on EVERY offensive play

every single one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    It's like the defensive holding that was called against the Eagle defender while guarding Juju in the Superbowl a couple of years ago. Yes it was technically the correct call but the refs let grabbing and contact go on all game long and didn't call it until the critical play of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    When an official flags something that is normally not called, it's not the right call. If you condition the players to do things a certain way, then occasionally pull the rug out from under them by throwing the flag, that is poor officiating. I get where you are coming from this, but Steratore has a point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    If all calls are subjective, why the outrage?

I am not disagreeing with you. You can look at almost any penalty and point out inconsistency. Look at the running into the punter call on Johnston. To me that was clearly roughing, but that wasn't the call. It's all subjective.

14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Keep in mind the audience. Gene Steratore is a retired ref being interviewed on WDVE's morning show. I like Gene Steratore, but something tells me he doesn't make that comment if he was being interviewed by a morning show in Atlanta.

We could beat this thing to death. To me it was an obvious call. I expected the call before the flag hit the ground. I'll stop by adding that if the same situation were to happen and Joey Porter Jr got pushed resulting in a big catch, Steelers fans would expect the refs to make that call. You can't have it both ways.

15. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    The enforcement of rules, any kind of rule, should never be subjective. That's the problem, the only way to take the human element out is review damn near every penalty, creating a 4 hour game, which no one wants. Instead, we're left with the product you see every Sunday. And Monday. And Thursday. Sometimes Saturday.

I do think you could review some penalties but then where do you stop?

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This. If anyone thinks the zebras target us so be it but in reality, the truth is its league wide. And has been.

He pushed off. They called it on him. He didn't have to. I mean it wasn't a major shove ala Ervin used to do but he did push the defender away slightly to gain an advantage. Let it go, Let it go...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Troll

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    He is correct

It was OPI. It's just that simple.

Pickens, pushed, and gained separation as a result of the push.

Absolutely the correct call.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2024 at 8:24 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The summer league does it pretty quickly, and effectively.....with the eye in the sky.....I don't think I have ever disagreed with a final call in that league....like I do almost every NFL game I watch.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    even if it was I can still hate on the refs they are no angels. I will apologize to all refs when they turn a blind eye and let Steelers do whatever they want;):rolleyes::dontknow::goofy::goofy::goofy:

22. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    That is a no cal 99 out of 100 plays period end of story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok

Since you agreed it’s a penalty we can end the story

24. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Well sure fella!! There are literally hundreds of those that happen every game. Refs subjectively look at calls and do not always flag plays. You’ll never get a speeding ticket for 56 in a 55. If you did, I doubt you would be saying “well, I was doing 56”. Nope you would call it chicken****. But if in your small world, could it have been a violation, yes your majesty you are correct. Thank goodness we have you.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m here to serve those that need help