1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Blocking. #11

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Busman, Sep 10, 2024.

1. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Anyone else rewatch the game or notice Van Jefferson can’t block with a damn?

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Aren't we all glad Khan decided to replace Johnson with a bunch of cheap options he signed off the scrap heap?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Nope. They want to spend as little money as possible to sign these washed up players. Keep this up and we will be known as the Brownies. Sorry I swore

4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    He can't do anything worth a damn. He is a fringe NFL player that was thrust into the #2 WR position.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    They count on Roman Wilson.....

6. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I don’t miss Johnson, he just never seemed to fit in, let alone the drops. The corner we got seems pretty dang good so hopefully we will get Wilson back soon and I think we will still be in the market because we have the cap space.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    The Pickens half ass block cost the Steelers more than Jefferson. You can thank the NFL for the softness anyways.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wilson's camp injury was a HUGE setback for the team, that is for sure.

LOTS of camp injury setbacks

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

agreed!

10. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    We missed on replacing DJ but don’t confuse that with the fact that DJ had to go. Addition by subtraction simply just to regain control of the locker room and groom Pickens correctly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

There were 4-5 times where Jefferson whiffed on a block. Looked like he didn't give a sh it

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They’re really going to miss Allen Robinson’s blocking ability in this scheme.

he was turning it up last year for them in that department. That’s why I was surprised they let him get away!

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

whiffing and not caring are 2 different things. Smith wanted him, so this is very curious, as to what is going on.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2024
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickens is still doing bonehead things, including half-assing blocks. He was that guy before he played with Johnson. He still seems to be that guy.

That said, I supported the trade when it happened, but I assumed Khan would do a better job finding a replacement. I didn't think he would fail so miserably.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I hate to say it, but on our current roster, Pickens is our standout receiver. Heck, he is our receiving core. If he gets injured, the team will be in a seriously bad spot. The team would be smart to avoid needlessly putting Pickens into situations that could lead to his injury for little to no gain. For me, this means avoiding plays that require him to do a very physical block.

Think of it this way. If Pickens got into a car accident today and was out for the next 6 weeks, what do we have left? We can't completely baby him because this is the NFL and we need him to play. But we can mitigate the risks to our most important wide receiver.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Pickens is as important to us as TJ Watt is right now. Watt is obviously a better player, but the absolutely empty receiving group behind Pickens makes him all the more valuable to us. It's a shame we let it get to this point. Even prior to Wilson's injury, the Steelers clearly weren't content with their receiver group with their pursuit of Aiyuk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    His missed block wasn’t because of lack of effort. He simply needs to be taught how to do it correctly. Big difference. I agree with you. I had thought we would have been able to find someone. In fairness though Aiyuk literally backed out at the last minute of the trade and Roman Wilson has been injured. I wish they would have picked up Noah Brown or somebody at least. They must not be that high on Brown.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Apparently you don’t understand management or locker rooms. You just like to be confrontational for the sake of being confrontational. You are that guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Based on what I read, Aiyuk didn't back out. The 49ers weren't going to move him unless they could add a veteran replacement. Their trade attempt for Courtland Sutton failed. That is what killed the deal with the Steelers.

Also, Pickens has demonstrated that he knows how to block when he wants to do so. He has also admitted there are times he is going to get out of the way to protect himself rather than doing his job and blocking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Pickens made that statement last year. GO to Steeler Nation or Steeler Depot today An article just came out in detail on how Aiyuk squelched the deal at the last minute when the 49’ers were literally on the phone with the Steelers making the trade.

22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I agree and the bubble screens. I cringe when I see him getting the ball on a bubble screen. Put Skowrenick or however you spell his name on those.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually that is not correct

I misread your post is all

I went back and read it again and I wholeheartedly agree

I am that guy

You could have politely asked me why I thought it didn’t make any sense

But you are you

• Like Like x 2
  24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Not caring causes the wiff. You know when you kinda make it look like your making effort? That's precisely what Jefferson was doing.

25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Right? I'm just saying if you're throwing guys out there and expecting them to block in this offense, and these are the receivers you kept it's a little confusing. Austin is going to get blown up every time!