1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Players Week One

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Sep 9, 2024.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    1. Boswell - Insane game from one of our most reliable and clutch players. Even punted in an emergency.

2. Watt - Had at least one sack stolen possibly two. Relentless is the only way to describe him. How this guy isn’t DPOY every year I don’t know.

3. Pickens - Mr. clutch number 2. Love seeing him being the focal point in the passing game. The bubble screens makes me a little nervous though as he isn’t built for that.

4. Ogunjobi/Adams - Both of these guys were providing alot of inside pressure all game long. If they can step up that would be a massive boost to this defense this year.

5. D. Jackson - A couple nice PD’s and a timely interception. He actually could have had a second interception earlier in the game.

6. Elliot - Solid SS play next to Minkah. Added an interception to boot.

7. Scotty Miller - Stuffed the return at the end of the game and then held the ball for Boswell on his last Field Goal.

I thought Fields, Najee, Frazier, Washington, JPJ, Minkah and Friermuth all played solid.

We definitely need additional help at WR and for the QB and Offensive line to develop. I’m not sure how long we can maintain ugly gritty wins week in and week out. I feel like that has been the standard for the last four/five years. We keep doing it, but it won’t work against the top tier teams.

When those top tier teams block us up on defense and don’t allow us to create havoc it seems thats when everything implodes and we don’t have the offense to come from behind. Hopefully this offensive line can really grow and improve each week and we can build a top level run game. I think thats what we are going to need this year to truly have a chance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    For number 3. I think that was just trying to keep Him involved.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Everybody played good but in this hypothetical world they will not. Good accesment. OMG! Really?:facepalm::cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I didn't understand this. It's probably just me. I'm not sure what You are getting at. Again it's probably just me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickens made some great plays, but he also made some really stupid mistakes. The worst was when he nearly gave away a field goal before the half by not just running out of bounds.

Jackson was a mixed back. He made some nice plays and had the huge interception at the end. He also dropped an interception, took a dumb penalty to wipe out a sack by Watt, and he is not a good tackler.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He names 15 players who played well and then some hypothetical scenario that when some team blocks us up we can't do anything to win. This isn't the past year's to start with. Different players. We don't know what will happen because it hasn't. He's assuming this is how it will go. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Calvin Austin wasn't really involved in the passing game, but his punt returns were more than solid

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Most of them were, but he has got to stop hesitating so much when he gets the ball. He had at least one return that went nowhere because he waited to long too start running.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    His speed would be welcomed in the pass game. Hopefully they get him involved.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe he isn't getting open. Also, I do remember one ball thrown his way. He was in good position for the catch, but failed to come back for the ball, allowing a defender to knock it away.

11. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    I hope I don't get banned, but Dan Moore had a good game.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    The defense looked great overall. The one thing is we tend to give up outside contain on the run alot. We did that last year as well. My concern is neither of our CB’s are very good tacklers and we need them o be in that situation, in addition if we play alot of man coverage we risk giving up big chunk plays to a qb scramble or delayed runs to the outside.

The guy i failed to mention was Heyward. He did much better in this game than he did all of last year. Lets hope he can maintain this and stay injury free and they can keep him fresh all year.

13. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I thought that at the time about Pickens at the time as well. But I watched it a few more times. If he had broken that tackle, easy td. The field was open. It is possible that Pickens pushed for the TD, knew it was not going to happen and went out of bounds for the clock. If that was the thought process, very smart play. If that thought process was not there, he got lucky.