1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers did Najee wrong

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 6, 2024.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

no, he is not getting tagged. he is not a steeler next year, that decision was rendered in the spring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    The non-exclusive tag (currently valued at $11.95M for a RB, will raise 2-5% in 2025) would be great for the Steelers if they could get another team to engage. But if you're maintaining that Harris's production doesn't justify a simple $7M fifth-year option, why would you expect another team to value him worthy of not only a more expensive multi-year contract, but two first round picks should the Steelers decline to match it? (And if the Steelers match, they supposedly get a disgruntled player.)

If you think he's about to have a breakout year it only furthers support for exercising the option and securing him at good value, while you either negotiate an extension or allow him to leave after next year. I've seen no evidence that Harris would simply 'coast' through the next two years. He just doesn't seem like that kind of guy. And if nothing else, he's going to want a decent contract after 2025.

Exercising the option would have increased Harris's rookie contract APY to $4m/year. That's on par with guys like Jamaal Williams (career best 1066 single-season rushing yards; next highest, 601) and Zach Moss (career best 794 yards). Devin Singletary signed a contract with the Giants this offseason with an APY of $5.5M and his highest single-season total was 898 rushing yards last year.

So for me it's more than just 'we have cap space'; the value is there. The other side was pausing the need for replacing his role until 2026. Next year they need to focus on a QB (and backup), likely a WR2 (maybe WR1 depending on how Pickens does; if he does well, a potential extension), a CB2 (and possibly nickel), etc. While it can be argued that Harris hasn't shown elite production, he's been solid despite a substandard line and OC and a good compliment to Warren. Which I see as further reason against creating another gap to fill with the other plates they'll be spinning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I totally misread or misunderstood an article I read on tags

Thank you for your information

Go Yinz Stillers n’ at

So apparently there is some reason they did not want to guarantee his salary for 2 years

• Like Like x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    They certainly did not do him wrong

Contrary to the clickbait thread title

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    By that logic, teams are making a mistake treating it that way because they aren’t getting great results.
    What it also demonstrates is that Harris is among the best in the league at his position.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1,000 yards is yawn yardage - that is the point.

lies
    damn lies
    and NFL stats.