1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph wins #2 job in TN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Aug 27, 2024.

1. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    i can understand a veteran being upset and wanting a trade in that situation, but a guy like pickett still on his rookie contract? Maybe he should've just sucked it up and kept his mouth shut when they brought in wilson.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    This is the thing with rudolph, people are still judging him as a starter. He’s a backup, he was always been a backup. Only reason he played in 2019 is because Ben got hurt. People assumed he was the heir apparent and compared him to Ben. He’s not that. He’s decent if you look at him as a backup. Judging by his last stint, he’s become a reliable backup. If Wilson cant go tomorrow id actually be more comfortable with MR playing than Fields.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't see any way they would have traded for Fields if they had kept Pickett.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I understand that some people here can't handle reading negative things about Rudolph. The simple truth is that he wasn't good. It wasn't just the Steelers who didn't want him to be their quarterback. It was the entire league that didn't even want him as their No. 2 quarterback. Those are facts, not opinions.

I had low expectations of Rudolph, but I don't remember specifically saying he would fail. By all means, link the post in which I wrote that if you can. I'm quite certain you cannot.

Why do you think Hodges stinking so bad that they gave Rudolph another shot is somehow an accomplishment for Rudolph? Hodges was an undrafted rookie free agent who was out of the league before the following season started. That Rudolph was benched for him tells you just how poorly Rudolph was playing when he did get his shot to be the starter.

There is no reason to assume Rudolph will play for the Titans this season. Levis is their starter. They are committed to him. I have provided links to back that up. Rudolph is there to be a cheap backup, and even that wasn't guaranteed. Malik Wilis, who has been terrible in the NFL, actually gave him a run for the No. 2 job.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He should have, but the Steelers handled that poorly, as they did just about everything in Pickett's career. Allowing him to have a surgical procedure to rush him back from the ankle injury, then not playing him was foolish. To be clear, the part of that I have a problem with was having the procedure done. There was no way they could bring back a rusty Pickett with Rudolph playing well. It would have made no sense.

Pickett isn't gone just because he asked for a trade. He is gone because the team decided he was a bust. The Steelers simply aren't stupid enough to give up on a first-round quarterback just because he said he wanted out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They made that trade after Rudolph beat out Willis, though given the latter's history, that isn't all that impressive. I'm not sure they wanted to move their backup quarterback.

Going into that season, Trubisky had been far more effective as a pro. It wasn't even close. Trubisky also had the better preseason. That Rudolph played well against a series of weak opponents late in the following season doesn't mean he had earned the No. 2 spot in 2022.

7. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    they were willing to keep him around to ‘compete’ with Wilson. I think they didnt know what they had in KP yet. How the hell could they? But once he complained and wanted out - they obliged. There may be locker room issues we may not know about. Refusing to suit up - if true - wouldn't go over well with teammates

8. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I think they decided that Pickett was too much of a diva rather than a bust. Refusing to suit up for a game, saying that he didn't learn anything from watching Rudolph from the sideline, and then asking for a trade when they signed Wilson was the final straw. Tomlin doesn't want anyone on his team that doesn't want to be there. If Pickett had played better, the Steelers might have been a little more tolerant of him, but he didn't. I'm sure if even TJ had that kind of attitude, he'd probably be gone too

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    We can agree that the Steelers can't evaluate QBs, first, claiming to have a 1st round grade on Rudolph, and second, drafting Pickett in the 1st round.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently he didn’t have the balls to do so

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Diva no

Wimp yes

12. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    You have a point there. He wasn't even good enough to be considered a "diva" in the true sense of the word

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    With that logic we wouldn't have Minkah

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That false report was debunked. It has no place in this discussion. If they gave into a trade request without being certain they knew what they had in him, that was an incredibly stupid and shortsighted decision.

15. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    There's no way they could've been 100% certain what they in him, but they probably figured that he was more trouble than he was worth, same difference I suppose. Anyway, Pickett is history here, so next man up

16. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    So was keeping Canada around as long as they did

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    after the way the TITS lost, Rudolph might get a harder look soon :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    How many yards did he have today?

19. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Mason’s training camp stat’s blew the other other two qb’s stat. It was never really a competition. Levi threw two bad interceptions and was big reason why Titans lost to Bears. If that kind of play continues for few more games or if he gets hurt, you will see Mason.

20. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Mason will be the starter in a few weeks

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Answering we have quarterback issues

22. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    one of the worst interception ever....

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Preseason game performance is more meaningful than the first week or two of camp. Rudolph was the only one who wasn't new to the team, so he started faster. Once the rubber hit the road, he was the worst of the three. It amazes me how many people can't accept that even after he is gone.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It wasn't even the worst interception today. Check out the stinker Daniel Jones threw.

25. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Daniel Jones was never any good but since he is dating Kay Adams now his play has totally collapsed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1