1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TRADE TOMLIN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Aug 24, 2024.

1. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I watched all of this as well but the one thing in the lean years following the 70's success was we never found a QB to replace Terry but the team played disciplined, there wasn't locker room issues and they competed and Chuck and Bill had the teams prepared. I believe this to my core, that Mike was a good coach to come into a team that was already disciplined and stacked with veteran players that held themselves accountable to each other. As those players aged out, Mike's player friendly style began to show its weakness with the team beginning to have issues in the locker room, undisciplined play, separate rules for star players, etc. So with having a franchise QB and the talent he had in many of these teams I believe we underachieved so was/is Mike a good coach, yes because players love to play for him and managed to keep the team from having a losing season for a long time, but do I think he was a great coach, nope.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    That is how YOU measure. All you have to do is speak with HIS peers. The coaches and players that do what he does day in and day out to earn their living. THEY say Tomlin is a great coach. THEY know more than you do about it. I will listen to them.
    Go by Tomlin's stats alone and he is a top 10-15 HC of ALL TIME. Not just during his own tenure, ALL TIME. That's just on naked stats.
    2019 the Steelers make the playoffs without a QB. They were 27th in points and 30th in yards offensively. We scored 25 TDs that season, Total. We did not have anything offensively and Tomlin coached a top5 defense and a roll of 'Duck' tape to the playoffs. THAT was the season that convinced me how great Tomlin is.
    There are 3 examples of greatness. But his playoff record.....smh

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Most people think that

That was Mundy’s responsibility and he once again bit on the run fake

Ike was trying to make up for the mistake

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    So if I told you El Chapo was a great man because he was my mentor. What’s your first response?

Great as a person? Ok. Great as a motivator? Ok. Great as a head coach in the NFL? The RESULTS…….SAY…………NO! Wake up and grow up.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Hopefully you get that seen about.

6. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I watched a little of him in one of the Saints games and thought the same thing, I thought he made some decent plays.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sort of

mundy was supposed to fake a blitz and drop into coverage. That would have left Thomas bracketed with Ike over top and mundy underneath. Mundy was late on this fake and subsequently late getting into coverage. The rest as they say is history

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    should have never come to that. That was the beginning of the downfall of the Tomlin era of coaching.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Because Ryan Clark couldn't play in Denver???

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Because the sun rose in the east

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    "Like tryin' to put an oyster in a slot machine!"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  12. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    So what is the standard today for the steelers, barely qualify for the wild card last playoff seed and get waxed by double digits. Heck 7 out of 16 teams make the playoffs. That barely qualifies as some great feat. Even the most optimistic steeler fan knows we are light years from competing for a AFC championship. Do you trust the person responsible for the problems to fix them. Doubt it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What I find is when some other HCs Qbs go down for the season like let's say 2019.....people say what do you expect....that's why they had a losing season.....example Ravens 2021 they missed the playoffs, and was the last team in the division, but what I heard was ....well they lost their Qb....what do expect..Yet Lamar Jackson only missed 4 games....yet when Ben missed 14 ...it was still expected to do well..... I hear many people give excuses for teams ,and HCs that they don't afford their own team they root for. I could sit here ,and write a book of the examples. Because they judge us in a vacuum.
    Like yesterday. Tomlin allowed Blake Bortles this many yards, and this many tds.....He should have been fired...Yet the very next Game Bill Belichick allowed more yards,and the same tds by the same Qb, and actually should have lost if not for a very bad timing call.

• Like Like x 1
  16. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I doubt you would have any idea what was going on during the lean years. There was not social media, invasive media outlets etc. most things were kept in house. Most folks do not understand the influence social
    Media has on any organization when any member can bleed every fight argument and or fart that occurs and I just wish people would think about that when they hear these sophomoric stories that emerge.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    it’s safe to say he has far more insight than anyone on this board

• Like Like x 1
  18. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I am VERY much enjoying this conversation and finding a lot to agree with between the two of you and very little to disagree with. I also believe either of you are disagreeing on much also, just some little bits.

However, even in today’s social and media FILLED life, I don’t think I am getting too much REAL exposure into our franchise. Or haven’t yet… Sure there is plenty of stuff to chew on out there coverage wise between print, radio, pod casts and stuff, but I feel so much lacks accuracy and so much is created for viewer - I.E. advertising revenue - that I don’t buy into to much of it as FACT. Sure, I think I’ve carved out a few of these people who I think are rational, make sense, and decent at prediction how the organization and people in it operate more than others, but still a lot of holes in the stuff I read. Insight is on soft ground, but not quicksand.

All of that being said, we’ve seen Tomlin’s ceiling and he needed an epic roster and Belicheat to have Brady injured that year or else it’s likely we wouldn’t have even played Arizona in the Super Bowl. He was almost always out coached in the pats matchups in the biggest games even when the Steelers players put it all out there.

Now we are just kicking the van down the road in sports version of the movie ground hog day.

The game passed on by our two past coaches AND this one too.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm: :smiley1:

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe many of You tie Cowhers losses, and Tomlins losses to Belichick together in one big package, and state them as all Tomlins losses. Because I keep hearing about How bad Tomlin is, and How great Cowher was....yet I remember really great Steelers teams coached by Cowher losing to Belichick.

21. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    I would want Vrabel if---and that's a big if --if we got rid of Tomlin but we are not worthy to even speak of NON LOSING season Mr. MIKE. YOU should all be ashamed of yourselves and just:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: to his Greatness.:wave:

22. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
  23. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    There was talk of Vrabel and the Patriots HC gig.

24. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Let’s not make stuff up.