1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph wins #2 job in TN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Aug 27, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    A player can adjust too when he gets older....Just look at Roethlisberger....He held the ball very long when he was younger, especially under Bruce Arians but when he was older, it was no longer the case and he was very good until 2018

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But he(Ben) was never a running Qb. I'm not saying you,,but a lot of people get scrambling, and running Qb confused.
    I love a scrambling Qb.....I hate a running Qb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    True but he was great to extend the play but he was hit a lot too....He needed to make some adjustments to his style when he got older.

For Allen, we have to wait and see how he will be when he is older, but I believe he will be able to....I am less sure for the longevity for Lamar but many have been wrong about him in the past so we will see later I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yes, yes. Every QB that uses his legs as a weapon is trash... we know lol

I had no problem talking about it. Allen is great. He throws like Ben and runs like Cam Newton. He has a similar Comp%, TD %, YPG, QB rating, and the exact same career interception percentage (despite being knocked for throwing a lot) as Ben does. He runs 7 times a game (about a half a rush less than Newton) and chips in an average of 9 TD's a season. He's an absolutely awesome player. Its not his fault that the top 4 QB's in the league are all in the AFC right now. He essentially has to go through Burrow, Mahomes, Jackson, and now Stroud every single year to get to the big dance. Tough gauntlet to get through.

Also "how many SB's has he won?" is a weak argument for a guy that is only 28 years old. It took Peyton until he was 30 to finally win for a lot of the same reasons. Didn't win again until he was 39... Brees was 30 when he won his. Aaron Rodgers won his early in his career and might never get back. Dan Marino never won and he was great too... SB's are hard to win. You can be a great QB and never win or win once. Allen probably has another 8 years of prime ball.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Lamar is a great player. He has shrunk in the postseason, but that is on him mentally and not on his abilities or play style. I kinda agree about his longevity though. I expect his career will be over in his early 30's. Allen's won't be. I bet he is really good to 35 and maybe longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes yes....Cam Newton brought so much SBs.....stop comparing J. Allen to Ben. It shows a lack of understanding. Ben was never a running Qb, and never had to depend on running. Again some people have a problem with the difference in a scrambling Qb, and a Running Qb. One is always looking to throw.

7. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I'm not comparing Allen's style to Ben, I'm comparing his stats as a passer alone. He is a fairly similar player statistically. I don't think he is quite as good (as Ben really developed into an elite player in his early 30's), but Allen still has some time to get there. Allen is an awesome passer... just as a passer. His running ability is just a plus. Its a huge plus, but just a plus in the argument I am making.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben kind of lumbered but because of his size he could still cover a deceptive amount of ground when he had to

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bawb the Revelator

Bawb the Revelator Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Everyone? Mason put in the time, improved his skills and didn't give in to years of MT brushoffs. Yeah, I'm a retired shrink and those qualities are increasingly rare in America much less the "not for long" NFL. The Steelers and I will be elated if Mason returns next season

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why? Ben scrambling in the early days was due in part to him not being able to read defenses either. It was his form of running. He would resort to sandlot football until a receiver found a way open. He probably took far more of a beating than running QB’s because of it.

As he got older and figured out defenses he began using a quick release game, something Haley imparted onto him.

So if your reason for hating running QB’s is because of the increase risk to injury, Bens style of play put him at risk each and every week.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Welcome to the board. Just a FYI but green font means sarcasm around here.

• Like Like x 3
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Have we not discussed this before??? The difference is....
    1. The Qb is looking to throw....not to run.
    2. The eyes are always down the field, and the other players , targets see, and know this , and therefore don't stop on trying to win. When they see a guy who's eyes automatically drop....they know it's no use trying to keep winning a route, and that they are now just blockers.
    3. By always looking to throw....even while scrambling.....You are still exercising the mind,and the eyes to read the D, and see where to go.....so eventually You become better at it, and see it fast.....when You drop your vision to run....you are not looking for that, and are learning nothing than what You already know....running.
    4. When your speed, and legs goes away You can still throw....when Your a running Qb.....it's over.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But he was never a running Qb.... He was a scrambling Qb. He is a bigger heavier version of what a Rodgers, CJ Stroud and Mahomes are. They run around looking to throw. Hell the running attempts show this. Example: Ben most attempts in a season was 56.....Pat Mahomes most 75, and most of the time its around 50, and 60.....A. Rodgers most ....67 times.......While these guys are always over 100....they are looking to run........J. Allen most 124, and Lamar Jackson most 176. Big big big difference. I'm not saying You , but a lot of people confuse scrambling, and running Qbs. They see a guy move around, and they're like we'll He runs. LoL

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I understand all that but if a QB gets a first down running or throwing or runs for a TD or passes for one then whats the difference? A big part of the argument about running QBs is risk of injury, Bens style of play put him at every bit of risk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But that's not my problem, or point. As I've stated.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Last edited: Sep 1, 2024
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Just what we need another back up with a good attitude

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree

I’m not confused

My statement was accurate and precise

19. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Lol. What we need is a franchise QB, but unless we have a really bad year, or trade up, it's unlikely to happen

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Even then the odds aren’t great

Otherwise there would be enough “franchise” quarterbacks for everyone

The first round QB bust rate is significant greater than 50%

Last edited: Sep 1, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Oh, I know. I meant that we MIGHT have a chance of drafting a franchise QB if one of those two things happen. Might find the next Tom Brady in one of the later rounds, nothing is for certain

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I suggested this once before based on your thought

If you need a QB and a potentially good one is available in round one take him. Otherwise take BPA.

Then in rounds 2-7 or 3-7 take nothing but quarterbacks but base it on mental capability over total athleticism (ie Tom Brady)

Some people suggested this was not feasible because we couldn’t coach all of them. That’s just an excuse.

I got beat on the head for this idea when Ben was past his use by date..

I see the popular option has worked well.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Must better to trade your entire draft for your guy that wasted so many draft pick on average QB at best since for the most part,QB round 2-7 have not been very good in the last 10-15 years

Dak,Wilson,Cousins,Hurts and Purdy are the exceptions....If you look at the top 10 QB,most was drafted in the first round and most was in the top 10 in their draft class

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Spread your chips around or put all of your chips on one number

Take one guy with a high chance of bust and it doesn’t work you have nothing

Have 6 chances you may still have nothing but at least you have something to potentially work with over time

I’m not disagreeing it’s all a crap shot

• Like Like x 1
  25. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    And only two of those guys I would consider "elite" (Dak, and Hurts). It's too early to tell with Purdy, but he's off to a really good start. No question that the higher up you are on the board, the better your chances are of landing another Mahomes, Burrow, or Allen

• Agree Agree x 1