1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Aiyuk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Aug 5, 2024.

1. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Remember the time when we didn't have to worry about the wr position? When we were a wr factory. Now, we can't even develop two or three. And, why didn't we bring Hines Ward in as an asst coach? I'm actually happy that we missed out ob Ayuk. That was too much money and I don't think that he would've improved this offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    The guy is indisputably talented and can help a team, but I am glad they did not sign him to the kind of contract that the Niners did. It can lead to a DeShawn Watson situation, where you don’t have the money to address other team issues. The only happy ending from that situation in Cleveland will be the one Watson gets from his next massage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    As I and others have mentioned, he will probably jet off to the Jets.:shrug:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I like your optimism, but I seriously think we are lacking more than an Aiyuk

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The salary cap will go up plenty, some expensive guys could be gone next year Cam, Larry O. Wilson or Fields will probably return in 2025, I don't see the Steelers paying them outrageous money either.

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I wanted Aiyuk because he's a proven player, and teams would pay for double coverage on Pickens.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    IMO he handled this the wrong way. Rubbed me wrong.

8. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Well, you made it through the first cuts, didnt have to send it. Congratulations

9. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Proven for the 49ers, just not sure if he would have been as productive with the Steelers

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What I am finding comical about the very expected fallout from all of this is that people now believe that Kahn didn't have a contingency plan should the Aiyuk trade had fallen through. People tend to also forget that trades in the NFL are not just mere "spur of the moment" deals on their own. Such discussion is had over weeks, if not months, concerning a player or draft pick to trade for something else of equal value. Brandon Aiyuk potentially becoming a Steeler was also no exception; same goes for the trade that made this missing piece in the WR Room in Donte Jackson in trade for Diontae Johnson.

If anything, Pittsburgh's initial contingency plan was to have Roman Wilson be the primary backup option if the Aiyuk trade was unsuccessful. Due to the injury however, things turned sideways. Now, the second option was the increased usage of Pat Freiermuth into the Offense. Given Arthur Smith's history of using Tight Ends in the past, him even spending a draft pick in the top five in the form of Kyle Pitts, expect more targets for Pat.... is what I'd like to say. However, even this has problems as Russell Wilson has not been one to throw to Tight Ends at a good volume. There is also the aspect of merely stating Pat alone is going to solve this receiving problem for the current projection of him working in the Arthur Smith Offense is nothing more than an optimistic viewpoint given the percentage of snaps he has played overall within the past three seasons; 2022 being his highest amount at 64.1% of the snaps compared to 41.8% of the snaps last season.

As for the final contingency plan Khan is banking on?! Hoping the likes of CA III and/or Scotty Miller can produce well enough to begin the season. Roman Wilson is not likely to suit up for game one despite not being placed on IR. Of the two, I like CA III but his Preseason left a lot to be desired... and I mean a lot. Scotty did perform better but not by much overall. Regardless, one of these two will have to perform well Game One and likely moving forward.

Overall, I am happy that the Aiyuk Saga has reached its conclusion. That said, I am now convinced, more than ever, that should neither Wilson and Fields work out, the 2025 NFL Draft Cycle is going to be one helluva cycle for the Steelers. Grabbing a new WR will be a major priority but acquiring that Future Signal Caller may supersede everything else.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I also wasn’t happy with the way Aiyuk handled himself. Snide remarks, sitting out, we really dont need that bs in the burgh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We had 7 picks to draft them. So what Your really worried about is the the Qbs won't be able to make our Wrs better....because we never had to do that with Ben. We just draft a wr.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I thought he handled it like a professional. It’s a business after all.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's when We had a real Qb. Ever wonder why Guys like Brees, Brady, Ben, Mahomes, Manning, and such....never had to go get ready made Wrs, and most didn't even need 1st round picks for it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    You dont get on social media and make snide remarks. To me that is very unprofessional. Also, I am not playing. Take your ball and go home than. Thats what i meant about rubbing me the wrong way.

16. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    We can make Fields our 2 wr!?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Yes its a business and you are the employee. Yeah ill go to work and say im not working until i get a raise. Ill get a raise right out the door. Also, he was still under contract, you must fulfill your contract obligations.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    As infuriating as Diontae was I’d feel a lot better about our WR room if they had kept him, even extending him for a year or whatever was needed to keep him happy for 2024

Jefferson and CA3 are not going to cut it as your WR’s 2/3, Wilson has missed the preseason and probably won’t be a big part of the offence. God help us if Pickens misses any time

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently the Steelers were ready to pull trigger, but Denver did not want a 3rd rounder from SF
    for Courtland Sutton?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Attitude and intelligence don't seem to be requirements for WRs here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah, I wasn't a fan of trading Diontae why not let him play out his final season. He would get you 800-1,000 yards this season, I'm not sure any of their other WR besides Pickens can do that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The cap will go up next year by 30-40 million, they would've had plenty of money to address other needs.

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This! They need to draft a QB. Hopefully Wilson plays good enough to warrant a resign and mentor said rookie. Fields is a gimmick and if anyone thinks he would sign for peanuts is mindless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I have said all along, I believe GP is the superior talent to Aiyuk. If we signed Aiyuk that would have meant Pickens would have been gone next year. We would have essentially been swapping one receiver for another. I would much rather extend Pickens and draft or get a lesser tiered WR2 someone else’s number 3 or 4 that is deep at WR to be our number 2. I don’t know why they aren’t looking at Alec Pierce or why they didn’t try to get Noah Brown. In this offense they don’t have to be dynamic, just good enough to get off of press coverage and take advantage of single coverage and be an efficient blocker down field. In this offense the ball is thrown to the TE’s and RB’s alot anyway. The success of this season is gong to come down to this offensive line. Thats where our real focus needs to be at the moment.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

what were you expecting - the 2nd coming of the 3 Amigos?

this offense was going to struggle in 2024. we were going to go from ~ 29 ranked to maybe 22 - 25. that is what we are getting here.

Injuries in camp may have derailed that and the season. we will see. Wilson was drafted #2 to PLAY and PLAY he will, when he can.

yes - injuries has REALLY set this preseason back. Starting with the OLINE ( a disaster), Wilson (both of them) and Warren

everyone needs to quit crying.

it's football and it's time to play