1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Khan's black eye. Give me DJ as WR #1, and being on the clock at #20 with all CBs still available.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Aug 30, 2024.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Looking back the DJ trade this year is what is going to end the Steelers run of winning seasons. I think this offense really stumbles without a route running WR like DJ on the field.

It gets even worse when you replay the Draft and realize that the Steelers would have had their choice at #20 of any CB they wanted. Quinyon Mitchell or Terrion Arnold to pair with JPJ in the backfield.

To many Fans boys running around praising Khan for me. This off season he totally screwed up.

And, I am not even going down the Mason Rudolph road.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I literally posted about the Diontae trade on another thread just now. They may do a deal for a WR over the next week but as things stand today that room is a big problem

Nobody in that WR room is going to beat coverage consistently. I didn’t like the Diontae trade at the time and like it even less now. Whatever you say about him he could get open for his QB

I think with DJ going in to the last year of his deal they had to either extend him or let him go and they chose the latter, thinking they had plenty of time to sort a replacement.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think you are giving too much credit to DJ.

I think you are forgetting that Rookie wide receivers can perform pretty well. I think we are going to be very satisfied with Roman Wilson this season and more to come.

Take a look at DJ’s stats as a #1 receiver compared to these rookies of last season.

IMG_9305.jpeg IMG_9304.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    DJ was a cancer

You remove cancer as fast as you can

And he was the 75th ranked receiver last year

Someone even a rookie can do better than that

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Yeah, this. Bad thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I have heard fans talking about DJ being a cancer but never really saw any evidence of this . GP is far worse and we still employ him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't think DJ was much of a #1. he fleeced them a couple of years ago for a salary that was too much for what he does. he can get open with his quickness but his total game isn't at the highest level of the league. good but not great. we have plenty once the rookie wilson get's back to healthy. he didn't blow out a knee or anything. just a bad ankle sprain. they can heal. pickens has been looking like a force to be reckoned with. the rest will feed off his coverage. they are capable. wait for the games that count before saying kahn was wrong. preseason is really no indicator of what's to come when they count so this is very premature. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Pickens didn't start his nonsense until DJ set the example before him when he gave up on that fumble

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I remember the fumble and all that but I have a hard time believing this was the play when Steelers decided to trade him.

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    DJ is overrated, IMO. I don't think the Steelers will miss him. The O line continues to be the Steelers Achilles heel.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

They were all in on Mitchell until Fautanu fell into their laps as well... pretty sure they thought he would be long gone by pick #20.. games are still won and lost up front

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    The offensive line needed to be a priority. If we are going to have a question mark at QB, then we need an improved line and ground game.

DJ was a middle of the road receiver. Frankly, I was never impressed with his play in the red zone, running backwards to be tackled short of the sticks, inopportune drops, penalties, etc.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

It isn't, but is was the start of things, and it was the spark that fanned the flame of Pickens

14. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    While I don’t think DJ was a legitimate number 1 the homers are fooling themselves if they don’t understand how bad this WR room is after GP. Roman Wilson is an undersized rookie. I hope he turns out to be good but he could easily be nothing more than a 3/4 type NFL WR.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Didn't DJ once punch his QB in the face? That was probably what got him on the trade block.

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    JuJu of '17-'20 and AB were much better than DJ ever was.

17. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    We did not need a wr for 30 million that does not get separation I am glad trade fell through. Give 30 million and picks was a waste of time anyway. Our qb will be on his back most of game anyway. How about do a trade for the left tackle for 49ers. That would help this team

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I watched him at games

19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    DJ suffered from having Pickett throwing him the ball. He was a nearly 1200 yard receiver with Old Man Ben throwing him the ball. He'd be putting up Aiyuk numbers with prime Ben as his QB, and there is 0 doubt in my mind. The QB matters a lot.

DJ is a very talented WR. He's definitely a top 30 receiver in the league, but he never got his mental together to become a top 15 guy.

Rookie WR's can perform great tho, you're right about that. That isn't to say that we should expect Roman Wilson to be as good as DJ in his first year, but if he gets healthy he should be able to have an impact on the season if he's good enough.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm:

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I know they wanted to fix the OL, but I really wanted Mitchell at #20 him and Porter would've been a hell of duo at CB.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    not to play monday morning QB, but we could have traded johnson and a pick for aiyuk. i think steelers fans would all be feeling a lot better about this team right now if that was the outcome. our WR group is absolutely horrendous. we don't have the QB talent to make up for the lack of talent at WR either.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Looking in the rear view mirror and going in reverse...

Khan held his ground. I didn't feel that at anytime this would happen with yesterdays news. And i'm glad. Wasting picks when this team needs all they can get.

You have a new offensive coordinator so time to coach em up Smith. Lets see what you got!

And this being one of the highest paid defenses best deliver Popcorn.

I feel this is a wash year. They need one to get better position to continue building. Far from a product that can compete with the upper echelon teams.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    If it was Aiyuk or bust, we would have just added a player to get the deal done. If we had no other options and felt like we "had to have him", then there would have been more of an effort to meet trade demands. We were interested, but at a certain price. Now we will probably be drafting a first round WR or in on Higgins.

• Like Like x 1