1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Justin Fields Breakdown

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Aug 26, 2024.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But what You are not factoring in is .....unlike the Olympic people....He has played Qb....so when You run Him out there....they are automatically looking for certain keys, and at the worst on some plays....you could use that as a distraction. You don't take Russell of the field to do it.....just like we didn't take Ben off the field when we used Ward, or Randall El.....that's why people never knew when it was actually coming.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    So who are you taking off the field for this PWP play

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm switching Him out with one if the 2nd, or 3rd wrs....it actually matters what type of formation we do it in......, but don't take Russell off the field to do it. That already sells your hand. Cowher, and crew did it perfect when they had Ben....you never knew when it was coming....you just knew it was coming

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    It worked for Kordell, he was strictly a qb in college. Didnt line up as a wr until NFL when coaches realized he wasnt going to develop into a qb. Fields can run utilize him where he can benefit team. Him impersonating a qb isnt benefiting anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Of course what I didn't say when talking to @jeh1856 ,and what's important....is Fields has to want to actually do it....otherwise all talking about it is a complete waste

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    This IMG_0411.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Probably have a huge career, make a ton of money, and be a huge star for years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The problem is late throws in the NFL become pick 6s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The big questions burning in my mind are: do Arth, Sullivan and Smith have a viable plan for helping him overcome these glaring deficiencies and what are they telling Tomlin and Khan? There’s no doubt that they recognize that Fields isn’t figuring things out. They’re smart coaches. But do they have a realistic plan for “fixing” him? Is there a realistic pathway to Fields being taught how to read a defense pre and post snap and make quick decisions in time for the team to make decision on whether to resign him or let him walk at the end of the season? It’s probably too late for him to be anything more as a QB than what he is for this season.

What I believe could play into Fields’ favor is that, by all accounts, he’s a good guy and good teammate. That tells me that he will put in the work, but what is that work going to result in? And when? I would take a shot at that if he were playing through 2025 on a rookie deal, but his contract expires at the end of the season. Unless he finds a way to figure things out really quickly, we’ll need to make a decision based more on potential than proven performance. That would have terrified me in the Colbert regime. Now? I’m not sure. Stay tuned. This will be interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    We need to see what Fields can do with a full year starting to really know what the story is going to be on him here. If it was up to me, this would be that year. I think they're just wasting time starting a 36 year old "has been" who will probably at best be a 1 year bridge QB

Last edited: Aug 28, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The Cowboys had the world class hurdler Bob Hayes in the 60/70s that became an all pro at WR, Rod Woodson was on the track team and wanted to tryout for the Olympics, but under contract the Steelers would not allow it. Some guys lettered in multiple sports and were actually drafted in different leagues.

It happens, but for those suggesting Fields could just go out and be some hot prospect at WR are in some fantasy land. As exciting as Slash was in his role, I remember some commentators saying he really was not that good of a WR. Could he have developed, possibly, but it's not a certainty either.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    One would hope and expect behind closed doors all the upper guys talk to Justin as this is his second chance. I don't think the coaches are dumb people not talking about this stuff.

It could just be that Justin doesn't have what it takes to be able to process defenses quickly making decisive accurate decisions with the ball.

So he'll continue to look the part and just run because that's what he trusts.

Steeler fans will be happy we just moved the chains for once.

Who knows the season is still to come but imo it's really on how Wilson plays because I just don't think Fields has 'it'.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Arch

Just so I have this correct

Are you suggesting we should waste an entire season seeing if one single player can magically transform into a good player after failing to do so in 3 previous seasons

If so mark me down as a not so much

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    That's EXACTLY what I'm suggesting. We already know Russ is well past his prime and isn't the future, so they need to find out if Fields can improve enough within the Steelers offensive system to potentially be the franchise QB that a lot of people expected of him coming out of college. The Bears have been terrible for many years at developing QB's, so I'm not ready to give up on Fields just yet. Maybe he can turn things around in Pittsburgh, maybe he can't, but they need to find out now so they'll know whether to draft a QB in next years draft or not.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    If I recall Kordell kept stating he is a QB and did not want to be slash. I think Fields would make an even better "slash".

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Man, that is one tough call for the Steelers. I see what you are suggesting and I think the chance is going to present itself due to injury or need.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Tomlin has stated that Atlanta better prepare for use of Fields along with Wilson. Could perhaps be BS but hey at least they will scheme for Fields

Mike Tomlin thinks the Atlanta Falcons better be ready for a Justin Fields package when the Pittsburgh Steelers head down to Atlanta in Week 1. On th day the Steelers announced Russell Wilson will start, Tomlin swung the door wide open on the idea that Fields could have a package used for his legs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    I get that. It may be damned if you do, damned if you don't. I can understand why they're going with Wilson, he has a better track record, and I'm sure Tomlin thinks they have a better chance of winning more games with him presently. Still, I hope the lease is short on Wilson if he should struggle, and that Fields gets a chance at some point this season

• Like Like x 2
  19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Would be nice if we could have a hybrid of both Wilson and Fields .. Combine the athleticism of Fields with Wilsons knowledge of the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    That is why a healthy Wilson makes me think we can play with anybody. Wilson sure the hell knows the QB position. In his prime Wilson had the athleticism. Now it's gone but his football smarts will go a long way.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The problem with this is the Steelers won’t look at Fields from the same perspective as the fans do. So if they go into the draft with Fields riding the pine all year they likely won’t draft a QB, their plan will probably be playing 2025 with Fields as the starter and if he hasnt improved at all then you have now wasted 2 seasons. Unless by some miracle Wilson turns the clock back this year and wins them a championship and sign him to a multi year deal. Not likely.

In fact, I’d say right now the Steelers are looking at the QB situation like this: Wilson plays the whole year and Fields learns under him and takes the reins in 2025. I’d rather play Fields this year and get that answer sooner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Kordell showed he had pretty good hands. How does Justin catch? We know he can run ok.

I'm utilizing him as a slash option with Wilson to have both on the field and do some trick plays. Any throwing Fields would do would either be scripted to who he's to throw to and if not there just run it.

• Like Like x 2
  23. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    If that happened this board would implode.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The million dollar question with so many NFL players, how does that light come on? Are the players involved open to constructive criticism?
    Are the coaches capable of getting these players on the fringe over the top? I talk of player development all the time, these are world class athletes
    competing against other world class athletes., when do you cut ties? Who gets it?
    Who get's that more time frame? I see players with marginal talent succeeding, does their coaching staff know more, or do these coaches put them
    into a position to succeed?

25. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Kordell Stewart did it. He could run go routes, Posts and comebacks. Fields is significantly different than an Olympic athlete. He is a football player. He understands route concepts, is used to contact and has proven his ability to generate yards after contact.

I don’t think he will ever be a WR in this league but he can certainly be used in packages as a slash role. Like Stewart was or like Taylor Hill is currently.