1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph wins #2 job in TN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Aug 27, 2024.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This. If anyone can honestly say He wasn't better than Trubisky, or Pickett during that time. I got nothing left to say.

2. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I am tempted to see if what you say is true, but I am too scared to try it. The wrath of @TerribleTowelFlying is not worth provoking.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Pickett was their first round pick, of course he was going to play to see what they have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I was having the same thought just to see if he actually had nothing else to say

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    He would not have been a first round pick if Mason actually had taken his 6 years of chances and shown he could be the guy

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Guys, it's been so nice without "He who shall not be named". Why would you want to go and stir that sh!t up again?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Agreed. Simply this.

I don't know why its not ok to think that:
    1. Mason is currently better than Pickett/Trubisky
    2. Mason played a couple nice games for us and saved our 2023 season
    3. Mason is just ok and nothing more than a career back up

All 3 things can be (and are) true. Mason should not have been the starter here in 2024. He hasn't "shown more" than an aging Russell Wilson or Justin Fields.... He's played a couple nice games in his career, but he's started 14 games and only thrown for 250 yards or more in 4 of them. Jake Browning did that in 4 games in a row last year, yet no one was lining up to throw him the keys to the starting QB job on their franchise. It is fine to be realistic about it without trying to knock the guy. It is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Last year several QB's came out of nowhere and had a pretty good 3 or 4 game stretch before the wheels fell off. Josh Dobbs in Minnesota, Browning for the Bengals and Tommy DeVito for the Giants.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I am throwing the challenge flag on the Tommy DeVito claim. At most, he had a two-game stretch.

upload_2024-8-27_21-29-20.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    A
    The call by the poster was correct. @mytake loses a timeout. Tommy DeVito had a 3-game stretch where he had a a passer rating over 100 each game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Take out the two bad games from 2019 that Mason played under extenuating circumstances and Mason has career quarterback rating of around 96, which is pretty good. He blew away his competition in this year’s training camp. Hopefully, he gets an extended chance to prove himself. The same people who are calling him career back up said he wouldn’t do too much last year and were proven wrong.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    There would be a long line to administer the ***** slaps

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Solid backup is one thing but taking over the starting spot? I dont know. Could Colbert who chose him in the 3rd but had him rated higher be right and Tomlin/Canada be wrong?

they did put Trubisky ahead of him so that shows their ability to evaluate Qb’s. they could very well have been entirely wrong about Mason. He showed they screwed up the Qb pecking order last year.

Its just preseason though. I guess we’ll get all the answers, Mason, Wilson, Pickett, Fields, as the season goes.

could they have gotten Wilson and Fields wrong too? I hope not.

14. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Why did we use a 1st round pick on kenny when our line needed help badly and a better line helps a qb play better . Looks to me for some reason some one making decisions did not really want Mason to succeed , yeah sounds odd but look at keeping canada , bad clock management ,not being prepared for teams we should easily have beaten , just playing it safe and if honest most of younz could add to this list .

15. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Thats another challenge you lost coach:roflmao:
    Upon further review, Tommy Devito, is he Danny Devito’s son? Was 3-3..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We certainly should have drafted a OL instead of drafting Harris. We got rid of Conner because we thought our rushing woes that season were on him (some of it was Conner's inability to stay healthy too), but we had a bad line at the time. Harris turned out to not be a better player than Conner and we still had a bad line for him to run behind.

In hindsight it wasn't a great draft to get an OL at our draft slot, but Landon Dickerson was probably the correct choice for us at the time. I get that Harris and Freiermuth were far from busts, but we could have ended up with Dickerson and Humphrey... which would have certainly bolstered our line for years to come. Lets hope that Fautanu and Frazier turn out to be players of a similar (or better) caliber.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    And a lol… well done:roflmao::cool::roflmao:

18. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    He might be. But he was far better than a #3 backup like the Steelers said.
    And if either Rudolph or Pickett end up shining in this league, it is a seriously fireable offense for the Steelers staff.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    13 touchdowns
    9 interceptions
    5 fumbles
    Rating 82

20. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Did you even read my post. He had two bad games and with reason which have been discussed to death. If you take those two games out, his a rating in 2019 was around 93. He had three games that year with qb rating over 100 which is excellent. In 2023, his regular season rating was 118. Those two games were an anomaly. If you do analysis of variance on his ratings, a statistical tool, the two games are their own cluster with a 99 percent confidence limit. Even this year, his training camp stats blow away the other two QB stats that he was competing against. https://sports.yahoo.com/were-titans-quarterbacks-final-numbers-090006038.html

Last edited: Aug 28, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

correct - if either of them SHINE, it is another indictment on Tomlin. I personally think Rudolph showed some talent late last year. Time will tell, we ALL will see.

the offensive players said as much, in interviews. they said the kid knew what was going on and could play. It took him 4 - 5 years to get there, but maybe he did. We will see. He DID make some pretty impressive plays in his 4 starts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Glad to hear Mason is withTN.

23. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Yeah, I would've picked Linderbaum, but what do I know? There was a reason why 5 teams that were desperate for a QB passed on him. Pickett was a reach, but I guess they didn't want another Marino situation to happen

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't believe they got rid of Connor for rushing woes, but for injury concerns, and I believe He has shown that still

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You will not change some people's minds....because they can't, or will not be changed. They say a thing once, and they stand their ground....no matter what the evidence may show either way.
    I've been called wishy-washy, but I'm not....I just believe that my opinions can change by new evidence. This is why I say.....I want Fields to do well....because things can change....., and I people didn't see Mason had gotten better, and was definitely better than Pickett, or Trubisky....well....:shrug:

• Like Like x 2