1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Tomlin ever win another playoff game?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Arch Stanton, Aug 26, 2024.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I just mean overall. Obviously our postseason success has been poor (especially compared to the talent we've had), but I wouldn't consider us anything close to "poor" 9-10 wins every year is not only above average on a yearly basis, its quite good when you factor in our consistency. Overall we're good right now. We were great (just didn't have the postseason success to show for 2011-2020). 2000's were exceptional, lots of great teams and two of which got it done in the SB. 2010's were great, lots of great teams but not the same level of post season success with no SB wins, a loss in the SB and a AFCCG loss. 2020's have been simply good, playoff team 3 out of 4 years but no playoff wins. Our last true gasp at being a contender was the 2020 season (it also was the only season post-Ben elbow injury that we had a real shot). Since then we haven't been a true contender (in the SB sense), but a playoff team nearly every year.

Great - SB contenders
    Good - Division winners, high end WC teams
    Above average - above .500 record, low end WC teams
    Average - basically everyone that has 8+ wins and missed playoffs
    Below average - 6-7 wins
    Bad - 5 wins or less

There's exactly 30 teams in the NFL that would trade their last 20 years for ours, the only exceptions being the Pats and the Chiefs. Only a small handful that would even have to consider it (maybe 3-4 teams)?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I agree now but after Ben got us #5 I had zero doom and gloom for many years and could not wait for September. We knew we were going to be in the mix for awhile.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    This is all understandable but doesn’t mean it has to be brought up in EVERY single post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That frigging day will stay with me to the end. 16 of us fired up big time an hour before game. We were actually talking about who we want to play in the SB. I bet F (our HC) was said at least 100 times that first 5 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That's just the way it is until something changes :shrug:

6. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yes we will win another playoff game and it will be either in spite of Tomlin or because of him and no we will not all agree on that. I hope all Steeler fans will fill free to post it like they see it and remember we are One Steeler Nation Under God . P.S , that means no personal attachés on fellow members we are hopefully voicing our own opinions and wanting the same thing, the Best Steeler Team possible

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Since he's the HC for the next 25 years, I'd say yes. It's bound to happen at random.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    27 years. He just got extended again.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed pastorbob but imagine how many people would be in your congregation if you gave the same sermon every week with no new information or thought week after week month after month

It’s not the message it’s just the excessive repetition some posters do solely to get attention and to get people to per se look at them

That is what this OP is nothing more nothing less.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I couldn't give a rats @$$ about getting attention. I asked a legitimate question, and gave my honest opinion. I was just curious about what the other members though about it, that's all

Edit: You seem to have a preoccupation with complaining about other people complaining, which is equally as annoying to me. It's ok though, you have the right to voice your opinion just as I do. I don't understand why it bothers you so much though, it's not like Tomlin is the only thing I ever talk about. However, being that he is the HC of the Steelers, his name is bound to come up at times

Last edited: Aug 26, 2024
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think you’re right it isn’t a legitimate question. Problem is it’s been asked or at least declared that it’ll never happen A gazillion times by the usual suspects that do nothing but turn most threads into complaining about Tomlin.

as far as the people complaining about people complaining thing.
    The way I look at it is people constantly complaining about Tomlin and the Steelers will have no effect on any decision-making by the team.
    But people complaining about those complaining may actually be able to get through to some of these blockheads to knock it off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    As things stand right now i put Noll as 1st, Cowher 2nd and Tomlin third as far as Steeler coach rankings. Noll and Cowher built their teams from the ground up, specially Noll, and won superbowls. Tomlin inherited basically a superbowl team that just needed some tweaking and won a superbowl and got to another, but hasnt done anything since then.

Looking back ill say Noll was great, Cowher was great, Tomlin started off great but was average for a good chunk of his career.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

You will know the NFL is fixed when people stop betting on it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Well, nothing anyone says on here is going to have any effect on what the Steelers do or don't do. Doesn't mean we can't discuss it. I mean, it is a talk forum. Tomlin supporters seem to get their panties in a knot anytime someone is critical of him, regardless of the frequency of it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m not Tomlin supporter and I’m sick of hearing about it.
    May not be the case for you, but I’m convinced some of these guys are just doing it to agitate others. And some of them aren’t happy unless they’re making others unhappy.

16. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Not really, plenty of suckers out there

17. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Their would be a lot more if I told them what they want to hear and not the truth but then I should not be in the pulpit and if you are not being honest your posting bs. Might be ok with some fans but most of us geezers like to call it the way we see it . Also I agree with Peter when he said I know you have heard this but Iam going to tell you again , meaning you heard it but from m your actions it is obvious you did not get it . Speaking in general as like most of younz I do not agree with all of anyone's posts but respect that we are all Steeler Fans

• Like Like x 1
  18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    then clean up on them. If you know it’s fixed and thr sheep don’t, fleece them.

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It used to be when we went into the post mortem after a game and often times a win that a bunch of us got labeled as negative. We would then have to spend the next two days saying no we aren't negative, there is only so much high fiving and awesome air kicks you can do before you undoubtedly turn to a discussion of the good bad and ugly. You can bask in the glow of a win and still talk football. Imagine @blackandgoldpatrol 's thoughts threads but with a more biting critique and that was just at the beginning, by the time the next game started people had been stewing for a few days. Not sure if it's better or worse now.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Even if it's fixed, you're not going to know who it's fixed for until the game is over. Only the fixers would know that. Besides, I'm not a betting man anyway. I like to hang onto the money that I have

21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

In other words, you don’t what you’re talking about. If it’s fixed,presumably against your team, why do you have hundreds of posts urging the Steelers to take some action? Wouldn’t that be a waste of time for a guy as clued into the graft as you?

22. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    I'm not God, so I don't know everything. Maybe it's fixed, maybe it's not. I've been a Steelers fan for 50 years now, and I'll keep on watching them, and talking about them either way. I try to give things the benefit of the doubt though, makes it more enjoyable for me when watching them

23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I’ll offer an opinion, maybe it’s not.

24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Let's look at the numbers since 2010. Back when the Pens were still playing at the Civic Arena.

Parity suggests that you should make the playoffs 38% of the time. In last 13 years(since the last SB appearance) they've made it 61% of the time. Above the parity line. Woohoo!

Parity suggests that you should win at least one playoff game 19% of the time. On 2 of 13 occasions they've won at least one playoff game, 15% of the time. Below the parity line. Boo!

Parity suggests that you should make the championship game 13% of the time. On 1 of 13 occasions they did, 8% of the time. Below the line. Boo!

Parity suggests that you should make the SB 6% of the time. They haven't made it in 13 years and only have 3 more seasons to satisfy parity. Probably boo.

These numbers are using the old 12 team playoff format. For the last 4 years it's been 14. So the mumbers would be a little worse.

Of course we know parity is b.s. because there are teams that destroy the parity numbers. Teams whose tradition is sucking, and have finished way below the line.

The Raiders haven't won a playoff game in 21 years. The Bengals, pre Burrow(2021), hadn't won one in over 30 years. The Browns have been reliably pathetic until very recently. Ironically, the Jags have only made the playoffs twice since 2007. Miami hasn't won a playoff game since 2000. That's 5 of the 15 teams we're competing against.

We're supposedly a premier franchise, with one the bestest coach/owner teams there is. If the goal is making the playoffs, they've been quite successful over the last 13 years. Bravo!

If the actual goal is making serious runs at/winning SB's, they've been below average. Pretty woeful. Yet we're consistently told that our coach is amazing by the talking heads, and our owners, who just keep throwing more money and time at him with continually diminishing results.

Take from this what you want, these are the actual numbers.

• Informative Informative x 2
  25. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    burning wood?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1