1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New year and OC, Same old Offense.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ytownsteeler, Aug 21, 2024.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    We have won 3 playoff games in 13 fing years…. Elite???? WTF planet am I on. I will say this MOST of us get it. Years ago when I was ranting on here there wasn’t many that agreed now look around. Year after year more people see the light. Pretty soon even the squad will be liking my posts :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Hard to call our teams from 2004-2021 anything other than an elite stretch of football. Yeah, we should have done more with the killer B's and that is on Tomlin imo (a bit on injuries too, unfortunately)... but yeah, that is elite. Only one other franchise during that time was more successful than us.

I said we were a few years into being "above average" which is where the 2021-present teams have gotten us.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    We had some nice regular seasons since 2010 but the elite days ended after the GB SB. That was a long time ago now man. I will say I have no idea how MT gets this team to 9 or 10 wins when you watch them play they look awful 90% of the time. So it’s both a compliment and crack on MT really he pulls it out but his team looks unprepared more often than not.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    The killer B's teams were elite. They didn't have a ton of post season success (a few injuries didn't help here), but a lot of that is on the coaching. A team that goes 13-3 and loses in the first round was still an elite team... they just lost to another pretty good team in the postseason (something that Tomlin has gotten pretty good at). They had a pretty elite run from 2014-2020 averaging over 10.5 wins a season (one season with a season ending injury to the QB), which is almost exactly the same win percentage that SF has had in the last 5 years (who also lost a QB for one of those years). Yes, it isn't a KC or NE run... but during those times, there were only a few teams that were even as successful as we were. We had a better win percentage than the Packers. Same as the Seahawks. Better than Brees and the Saints. The Broncos had a few years during Manning's time there, but that was short lived. The only team that had it better was New England. They were also the only team in the AFC that had it as good as us during that span.... When you're a top 3-4 team during a time period, you're elite. It is what it is.

The 2020 season was the last glimpse of that though. We've been just above average since then.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Most of it came down to coaching in regards to the lack of success during the "Killer B's" era. A good head coach like Andy Reid or Bill Bellichick would've gotten at least 1 Lombardi out of that talent

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I guess I could agree on somewhat elite during regular seasons however when the games matter? Well you already know.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Tomlin sucks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There was some talk with a Dan Patrick guest on the state of the Giants, he mentioned how the ownership, much like the Steelers coveted a culture of stability and were in chagrin how things have went the last few years. The downside of that is not knowing or not moving on when the time is right. I agree Tomlin should have stepped down (forcibly if needed), but also Colbert should have stepped down instead of that extra year. There were some horrible drafts, including Pickett. When you feel like its time, its time. When Colbert approached Rooney with his exit plan, he should have said thanks, but resign tomorrow instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think it goes deeper. The Steeler nation is still faithful, obvious when you see the number of fans at away games, but this new generation is fickle as well. When teams with a 'national' presence are mentioned on talk shows, its hard to get excited about a team that has been 30th in offensive production the last several years, and no playoff wins in years.

10. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Oh, I understand and feel some of the animosity towards the offense the past few years. That was PAINFUL compared to years past. The playoff wins (or lack thereof) is definitely a bummer... but I see people on here basically saying they're apathetic towards the team now because we just aren't competitive anymore. Idk. Our worst is better than half the leagues best the pasts 25 years. Hell we've had 3 losing seasons since 1992 and none since 2003. We're pretty lucky all things considered and it just comes off pretty weak IMO. I get that people are entitled to their own opinions/beliefs on things, but imagine if things were actually tough for the franchise? Are we so fickle that we'd all just jump ship? I have my own opinions on the direction of the franchise and where we sit now, but that doesn't mean I should just not care anymore because of "how far we've fallen".

There are maybe 3 franchises that aren't SUPER jealous of us the past 30 years. KC, NE, and maybe Baltimore. Everyone else would trade us tomorrow.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015

The Steelers drastically under achieved in killer B's era and the last AFC champ game was a debacle as Tomlin was over his skis and got outcoached BIG TIME. I would have fired him right then. We looked like a freshmen team playing a varsity team in hs.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Ytownsteeler

Oct 2, 2015
    The big issue is that the Steelers offense is a joke and has been for last 4 years and not even the greatest Steeler Super-fan can disagree.
    I get being lousy on offense for a year or two and sucking on the o line fore a few years but we are going on number 5 in a row.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And #7 never was able to put team on back and carry them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    It should be obvious to all that Tomlin is not a good offensive mind coach. For years we most of us here were saying how big Ben was carrying this team. It is even more obvious now that Ben has retired. Never do understand how Rooney gives Tomlin all the excuses and it's never Tomlins fault.

I guess the only way the offense gets fix is when Rooney or Tomlin is gone or they get an offensive mind coach or a Franchise QB that can carry the team again.

15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    [QUOTE="Rollers, post: 1296514, member: 2241"]It's obvious the Steelers are not going to be competitive this year. We haven't won a single preseason game. Only one thing left to do!!!

View attachment 13491 [/QUOTE]

16. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    I cannot believe how some of you are saying :steelflag: are :noose: saying fire Tomlin FIRE the greatest non-losing season coach we ever had we should all be:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: to Tomlins greatness.:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::herewego!:

17. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Preseason don't matter much in coaching....Matt Canada was good in preseason and the Todd Haley offense was hard to watch in preseason....Week 1 and every other week is what who matter

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wait so Qbs have nothing to do with OL success???
    Did a worse OL not look better for Ben his last year. Did this same OL not look, and rate better while Mason played the last games last year??
    So do You think Mahomes has nothing to do with the success of the OL??? I'm not being smart a$$....I'm seriously asking.
    IMO Qbs have a lot to do with OL success. It's a lot easier to block for a guy who gets the ball out of His hand in less than 3 secs....than it is for a guy that take 4, and it's a lot easier to block a guy up field as a Tackle....then have a Qb that runs right into the lane You are trying to make.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just lucky we don't play Y'all this season. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Where do you get 5 years???

21. Ytownsteeler

Oct 2, 2015
    steelers 2019
    The offense has been unwatchable since Bens' injury and everyone with eyes can see it. The o line stinks and cant run the ball until late in seasons and every starting qb gets pummeled by rush and eventually hurt. Now tih our new o line issues and schedule means 6 win seaosn.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Cant tell if green font is required or not

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    i certainly think it matters to have a good QB that can stay in a pocket and not happy feet his way out of it. How in heck can an OL be confident knowing they cant depend on their QB to be behind them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    I was with ya. If eeking into the playoffs and getting blown out is great, then Tomlin is Great. The problem is, that is the very definition of mediocre, average. A few years we had a mediocre roster, aging out. Most of the past 13+ years we had an above average roster, and underperformed. To anyone with a functional brain and eyes, Tomlin is a below-average head football coach.

Tomlins cons:

- mostly bad at hiring coordinators and assistants, with props for such hires as Haley (yeah, he was good, and we should all miss him) and Munchak
    - Poor at game planning. He made Brady and Belichick look like gods. Rex Ryan teams, worse rosters, gave them fits and won a few times (better coaching). Tomlin routinely lost games that should have been gimmes. He put lipstick on his pig by winnning a couple of close games late in seasons to back into playoffs.
    - Playoffs, his coaching abilities are laid bare come time to play GOOD teams when all is on the line. He is, has been and always will be over-his-head. Bad, awful coaching hires is not helping.
    - He gets along with Rooney, this is a con because it means he doesn't have to ever be good HC to keep getting extensions.
    - Poor at challenges or when to challenge (could change a game outcome once or twice a season if any good at all...he should be stripped of the red flag by Khan).

Pros:
    - players seem to like him. I assume because he is mostly positive and likely does care about them on and off the field. It can't be because he knows how to coach, because never winning playoff games has to wear on a player that spent most of their life competing and hating to lose (not all players care though, and Tomlin seems okay with those guys for WAY too long).
    - We do get an extra player to come here every other year that seems to be because they're fond of Tomlin, that is a plus for roster building.
    - He is a fairly stand-up guy and gets along with or works well with the media. A gruff curmudgeon he is not. I would happily take a gruff curmudgeon if we actually won some playoff games and a super bowl in the next 3 years.

I can only hope Khan is in Rooney's ear and if we have another embarassing year (tired of these one after another) that he gets the stones to ask Rooney what exactly is wrong with him to think this is a good product. Money is nice, but doesn't he want to win the only hardware that matters again?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Uhhhhhmmm....a year later.....We went 12-4.....Ben put up 34 tds, over 3800 yards and 10 ints that year....I believe he was top 5 in many categories that year.....so how was that a bad offense???