1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Any chance Haley could lure Boldin?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 4, 2013.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    We'll need a receiver to step in for Mike, and we could really use a veteran presence for Brown and Sanders. The Ravens are in cap trouble, espcially if they use the exclusive tag on Flacco like everyone expects, which counts as something like 20 million.

Boldin played for haley in arizona of course.

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course he could, money talks. The problem is that if we're going to pay that much for Boldin, why not spend a bit more and get a better and younger player in Bowe?

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i don't think we have the money for either of them , i would look at ramses barden from the giants http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5207/ramses-barden

5. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    As it stands now, we don't, but I was just saying if we're going to consider Boldin, we should consider Bowe first.

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    yes i understand while i think boldin should come cheaper than bowe , i mean boldin will domand 5-6 milion at 33 years old , bowe more than 10 probably

7. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I could see Boldin going for 6-7 while Bowe will be around 10

8. Dick Shiner

Dick Shiner Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Isn't Todd Haley one of the reasons Boldin left Arizona to begin with? Last I saw, Boldin was furious about being taken out of a playoff game and they were screaming at each on the sideline. Good old lovable Todd Haley. Good thing we got rid of Arians . . .

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not sure Boldin would want to play for Haley, he was the one involved in the famous melt down argument on the sidelines. Haley kept him off the field at a crucial part of the game, I doubt Boldin is very chummy with him, I've never heard him go to bat for him like Warner has either. And as much as I envied the way Boldin was going up and fighting for receptions, I'd rather fill the need through the draft. Keep Plax, cut Cotch (whom I like) and see what the new guy brings to the table, I think Plax can fill in admirably while the rookie learns the ropes.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    we should go young if we want a tall possesion wr we can sign back plax for cheap , paying boldin at 33 after he won the superbowl 6-7 milion has no sense , i agree if we had the money we should go directly to bowe but we don't have , but just to be sure i would ask his agent how much he want maybe we can arrange a deal

11. SteelersWin!

SteelersWin! Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2011
    No way, I don't want any part of Boldin on the Steelers!! He's pretty far up my list of hated Rats

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    how about antonio brown and manny sanders pick up their game and we won't have to worry about boldin or bowe.:cool:

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd still like a big bodied receiver that can out muscle the CB's, I think they make a huge difference in those must catch situations. But yeah, Brown and Sanders can pick up their game for sure.

14. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Unless the guy was an elite player I wouldn't want a player who just won the sb, i think they wouldn't be hungry, they just won one :shrug: kinda like what happened to Cowher after winning his, the fire went away.

15. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Personally....I wouldn't want him on the team.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i wish they would use will johnson and our TE's for this more. we all saw finally what heath is really capable of. i think will j. gets alot more trys too. he was a wr at first in college. he's a big fast dude. he should create some mismatches. paulson has shown flashes and i think gets better under heath. use them like gronk and vernon davis more. i'd love that.:cool:

17. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Man people on this board crack me up. So much hate just b/c he's a Raven. When Boldin was in Arizona I thought he was the epitome of the type of player that Steelers fans love. He reminds me a little bit of Hines. I would say Hines was more consistent (although in these playoffs Boldin was the man), but Boldin stronger and a better deep threat than Hines was.

To say we should just look at Bowe instead is laughable. Bowe's going to make 10 mil a year. And Bowe is a turd. All his stats come in garbage time and if you watch his mental lapses result in a lot of interceptions and passes into no man's land because he ran the wrong route. Boldin is about to get cut because he's due 6 mil which is too much... I'm thinking about 4 mil over 2 years. Boldin is old, and honestly before that playoff run would've been taking about 1 mil a year.

Still, the guy is tough as nails, has great hands, and fights for the ball as well as anyone in the league. I'm not so sure Cotchery makes the team this year, and it would be nice to have a veteran presence. This team is really lacking leadership.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'd love to have Boldin...he's a frickin' beast. I was pissed when the Ravens picked him up, because I knew he'd be a difference maker there.

To answer the original question- could Halely lure Boldin here? I don't see how, but it's really here nor there considering the price tag IMO.

19. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd love to have him too and I also was really furious when we didn't try to get him when we could have. There are many players I would have told to hit the road in order to obtain him. As far as the original question I think that Haley and Boldin are not very good friends and I don't think he would be able to do that. I think it would sorta be like saying "hey do you think Al Davis can lure Marcus Allen?" or "hey do you think Jim Mora can lure Peyton Manning?" I just don't think there is any love lost but I do think the Steelers should be falling all over themselves to try and make it happen though. But if it took some major sacrifices to make it happen who would you do away with to make this happen??? THAT is a provocative question my friend.

20. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    at this price yes but i doubt he will take 2 milion a year , he willl cash his superbowl perform with a lower team to end his career

21. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    If I could pick 2 guys who would make the most difference off the Ravens roster on ours it would be the following:

Kruger - cause he would immediately improve our pass rush, especially if he can play the right side that Harrison is on now. Pressure creates turnovers and IMO it is the largest weakness this defense had this year. Better pressure = more turnovers = better field position = scoring more points.

Boldin - he is exactly the type of guy this team is currently missing. A big physical strong presence who has great hands and fights for the ball. He immediately improves this team and changes the kind of WR you look for in the draft.

Those 2 signings IMO change the complete complexion of this team and change how you draft. Do I see either happening? No. Would I like them to? Yes.

22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I wouldn't want any Ratbirds on our team, then those fans would be ranting " so you can't win your own players, you need our help to win!?! "

I don't want any of their leftovers, I would feel like the Steelers west.

23. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, Im with you...I would love to have Boldin too! We NEED a big, strong receiver. Manny and AB have speed but not size.

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Once a player wins a SBowl, they consider their market value has just increased, sorta like an actor after they win an academy award, all of a sudden they demand millions more to do a picture. If we really wanted a hungry top receiver then we should talk to the cards about Fitzgerald, he has said he wants a ring more than he wants money now at this stage of his career, why not go for the best if you want to test the waters, Fitz has been mentioned as trade bait and Arians covets some of our players on offense, nothing wrong with trying to work a deal if Fitz is willing to take a smaller contract and come back to Pittsburgh for a shot at a ring since he is in his 10th year and the clock is ticking....

25. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Thats crazy. Seriously. If that's the case we should've never signed James Harrison either.

Smart free agent signings is what put the Ravens over the top.

Bryant McKinnie, Matt Birk, Jacoby Jones, Bernard Pollard, Anquan Boldin, Cary Williams, Vontae Leach

If you want to turn your nose up at a guy b/c he was a Raven fine, but I want players that will get us back to the Superbowl.