1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Howard Draft Watch

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Born2Steel, Aug 17, 2024.

1. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I will be keeping an eye on Will Howard this season. He played at Kansas State and transferred to OSU. 6'5"-245, Probably the closest BigBen/Josh Allen comp this draft. Big arm and good runner. His stats have improved each of his 4 seasons at KSU. He's only 22.

Any thoughts and insights are 100% welcome.

2. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    What makes you believe the current staff can develop a QB?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I would like to see the current posters stick with a thread topic first. You think you can manage that?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I would like to see what he does at OSU. He will top talent around him unlike at K State. However at this point he's a pretty big project. But might be someone you watch in the later rounds. My only concern is with the Steelers being able to develop a project at QB.

6. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I don't know how big a project he is. I didn't watch him at KState. I did watch his highlights and some games on Youtube. I don't know how his arm talent ranks compared to Ben or Josh Allen, but there are other parts of his game that remind me of both.

7. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Biggest knock on him is the speed on his downfield speed on his deep ball. But let's see what happens this year. Better coaching better talent around him. Could move up

• Like Like x 1
  8. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023

A very simplistic video that just shows scoring. Some of these make think he has next level potential. Some of these are scary sloppy and probably picks in the NFL. I don't know but should be able to learn quite a bit while he's at OSU. Maybe I give up on him halfway through?

9. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I watched Paxton Lynch for 3 years in college and thought he had all the arm talent in the world. Turned out that was all he had. Wait and see on Will Howard.

10. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    No need to give up halfway through. Hell do well at OSU

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Tom Arth I trust in. Same goes for Mike Sullivan despite the rising amount of animosity he receives. As for the likes of Tomlin?!

Got me there.

12. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I can understand people wanting another Ben, but I just don't see it happening. Personally, I'd wait until Arch Manning declares his eligibility and try to draft him. I know it may sound crazy considering Arch hasn't done anything on the college level yet, but those QB genes of his are difficult to ignore

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    So now we have to consider genetics?? Wish the QB gene were real. imagine how many great QBs would be playing after their dads retired.

14. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Usually they're nowhere near as good as their dad, but the Manning's are an exceptional kind of breed

15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Archie's kids are the only ones that have surpassed their father, Peyton greatly so. Arch doesn't have to compete with his dad though, since his dad was the 3rd Manning kid and the only one that didn't play in the NFL. Now, he will always be compared to his Uncles... but that type of thing didn't hurt Peyton and Eli much.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Definitely someone to look at. If he has a great season and the Bucks win it all, he stands to move pretty far up the draft board. There's really only 3 prospects I consider a high end prospect at the moment. Ewers, Beck, and Sanders. Milroe and Weigman kinda round out the potentials, but each have an issue or two I'm worried about. Leonard is a solid prospect, but is more of a pure pocket only guy. Howard could find his way in the top 5 since he is the type of QB modern offenses love.

Personally, I think I like Sanders the most out of the list at the moment. I think Mike Tomlin is actually the right person to have someone like Shedeur (well, mostly his father) around. His willingness to stand in the pocket and deliver will endear a lot of Yinz around here and the accuracy and football IQ matches up. I don't think he is quite the prospect that CJ Stroud was, but he is a similar style player. Size, build, tendencies... I think he could be a great fit.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe in bloodlines, if nothing else they are better prepared for the NFL and the challenges it presents.

TJ worked out pretty well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    If Arch Manning declares himself eligible for the 2026 draft which I think would be the earliest that he could, he'd be my 1st pick without hesitation (that's of course if he's still on the board). Don't really care what he does or doesn't do in college

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I will need an explanation on that logic.

I grew up in a Saints household. In the 70s nobody rooted for only the Saints so my team was the Steelers. BUT...Still big Archie WHO fan. Watched his sons thru HS into college and then the pros. Arch is his grandson and namesake. I really want him to be great, and be a great Steeler. BUT...what he does in college means a lot. He's not even playing currently. There has to be something to draft other than a name.

20. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    I know it's not very logical, it's just a hunch. I would've drafted him #1 straight out of high school if it were allowed. How many college QB's have we've seen over the years that had great careers, and were deemed "can't miss" prospects, but ended up being total busts in the NFL? I don't think it's any more risky to draft Arch Manning on what we know about him now, than it was for the Bears to draft Caleb Williams at #1 this year. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Arch ends up having a much better NFL career than Williams, especially when you consider what a graveyard the Bears have been for QB's.

21. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    And if the Bears draft him?

22. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Any prospect has to have something to show other than a birth certificate.

23. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    I think he showed plenty in high school. Besides, like I already said, he has those QB genes

24. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Highly unlikely, unless Williams turns out to be a total disaster from the jump. They'll probably give him 3 years like they did Fields, no matter how much he sucks

Edit: I think Arch will be good no matter what team he lands on, but the Bears, Browns, or the Panthers would really test my theory, lol. I just hope the Steelers get a crack at him, but it will probably only happen if they trade up, or have a really bad year

Last edited: Aug 23, 2024
  25. Chucktownsteeler

Chucktownsteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2022
    I don't think our QB of the future is currently on our roster. Looking at Ewers, Allar, and Howard close this college season.