1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Aiyuk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Aug 5, 2024.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah, this is just a revisionist take on someone we "didn't like" so we say things like this. DJ is an immensely talented player. He could be a top 10-15 talent if he figured it out upstairs but it doesn't seem like that is going to happen. His stats were held back by having to play 2 years with Kenny Pickett as his QB. He gets open at a level that puts him in the top 5 in the league. He had above average hands by all metrics and could get you the possession routes as well as win deep. If he played on a team with prime Ben as the QB he likely puts up 1300 yards and 8TD in his sleep. This would put him in Aiyuk territory and make him a borderline top 10 guy in the league. Unfortunately he had Trubisky and Pickett throwing him the ball so he got to look like a scrub because the QB's throwing him the ball were scrubs. He wasn't all he could be because he couldn't quite mentally put it all together, but he certainly wasn't a low end #2 or a #3 by any stretch of the imagination. No need to say he was just because we didn't like him.

As the top guy in Carolina I am sure he will do well. I don't expect him to be a top 10 guy with Young throwing him the ball (not a huge believer in Bryce) and he plays on a bad team.... But they will be throwing the ball a lot and DJ will only be competing with a 33 year old Adam Theilen and rookie Xavier Leggette for targets. 1000 yards and 6TD's should be a floor for him if he stays healthy, and that would easily make him a top 30 WR.

2. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023

Highlights of a couple WRs that will be entering the 2025 draft. Both have been very clutch for their teams. I would take either on a rookie salary.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Yes, actually. They have agreed to terms with the Steelers on a trade that would send Aiyuk to us... Aiyuk and the Steelers have agreed to contract terms should that trade take place. San Francisco is still trying to do everything they can to keep Aiyuk in a 9ers uniform, so they won't officially accept this deal until they feel like they've done all they can and accept that they won't be able to keep him. Essentially they will put their best final offer forward and if that doesn't get accepted, then the trade gets done.

Apparently they are close on keeping him, but they still have a hurdle or two to cross. That hasn't happened and it appears (based on the latest info) that there haven't been any talks between the 9ers and the Aiyuk camp for days now. It will likely come to one last push from SF to see if they can keep him. If it doesn't get signed, they will accept the Steelers' deal and Aiyuk will sign immediately with us and the whole ordeal is over.

This whole thing is a reminder that the media will always sensationalize and misrepresent things in order to get more clicks and eyes on their story. I promise you if you hate modern journalism, you don't hate it enough.

4. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    DJ is a 3 receiver on a competitive team whether you all want to believe it or smell it. And he should be lucky to have that considering he went an entire NFL season, and played all games and didn't score a touchdown.

Some of you all have been disagreeing with a lot of common sense analysis. I guess we will find out who's correct once the current season is complete.

5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    He isn't. There are a few teams that would have him as the 3rd WR (SF, Cincy) but not every team is lucky enough to have multiple top 15 talents at the position. Also, no teams have shown a willingness to dump 55-60+ million bucks into their WR corps so these types of WR rooms are short lived.... There aren't 30 teams that have a WR on their roster better than DJ. He is a #3 WR in theory and dreams alone.

I don't care that he went a whole season without a TD. There were only 12 receiving TD's to go around that year and only 5 that went to WR's at all... He was also rated the most open NFL WR that year, so it is more of an anomaly than anything he did wrong.

And yeah, we will. I have 0 doubt that DJ will have a fine season if healthy. a #3 WR is someone that sits outside the top 64 in receiving and he wasn't that even on one of the league's worst offenses (and probably the league's worst offense to be a WR on). He will be just fine.

6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    QBs can't trust him.
    Ben knew it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Ben threw to DJ for 195 receptions - 2,084 yards - 15 TD's in his final 2 seasons in the league.... Hardly numbers you see on a WR that the QB "knows" he can't trust.

You should listen to how he talked about DJ on his podcast. Ben thinks a lot of DJ's abilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    'Ben says...'
    :lolol:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Laugh all you want. Stats and actions say differently than your assertation.

10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Stop confusing people with stats!!!!!!!!

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Get Ben liquored up in the back of a bar some night and ask him what he really thinks.

On second thought, don't do that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    And you believe him?

13. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    No, he came here to see what you thought first.

Everybody's got an opinion; not all are going to agree, and that's okay. But simply restating yours as a 'correct product of common sense regardless of whether everybody else is smelling it' doesn't exactly make for a compelling argument.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    DJ will be a top 24 WR statistically this season I will happily take money and match money on that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Make it happen Omar!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    This is what I don't understand, are the 49ers not wanting to match the Steelers contract offer? Seems like it would be a done deal if the 49ers just said show us Pittsburgh's offer and we will match it.

This is done all the time with the Teams Free Agents, the whole "Go out there and see what you are worth, and then come back to us and see if we want to match the offer"

17. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It might be working out incentives, bonus structure etc. They are also working on Trent Williams deal, trying to make all this work, when they are already projected to be way above the CAP next year will take some doing, and figuring out what to do with the QB.

18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well, he would probably need more money to account for state taxes, cost of living, etc.... Just because the years, AAV, and guaranteed money say the same thing, it doesn't mean that the $ in pocket ends up being the same.

19. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I'm sure that is something you've done many times....

Guys that cant be trusted don't get 313 targets in 31 games. Actions speak louder than words

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Spare me your condescending horse****. If he was so good, why is a Panther? Why didn't the Steelers retain him? Why was he signed for only 10 million per while being young and in his "prime"? Steeler fans have a habit of overvaluing players and they have had a habit of being in denial how full of **** Big Ben can be half the time.

21. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Steeler fans that were around in the 70s have a very bad misconception of how good this franchise is now. It’s not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't drink.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yet here you are

24. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    And??

Just because the team stinks I’m not going to stop being a fan. I just don’t live with my head in the sand like you. I’m sure you were very “impressed” tonight spin us some positivity hall boy.

25. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I mean, not many franchises go as many years as we have without a losing record... not any actually. Are we as good as we were when we were competing for SB's in Ben's prime? No. But just because our Steelers played poorly in a preseason game doesn't mean this year's team stinks. It means nothing at all. Would I prefer us to look better? Sure. But we saw last year what the preseason amounted to for Kenny and the offense, and it meant less than nothing at all.

We just have to see where we are when the games actually mean something. Am I more worried about the offense than I was last season? Yeah. Will our offense be better than last seasons? Yeah.

• Agree Agree x 1