1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Aiyuk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Aug 5, 2024.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Wouldn't surprise me none if Allen is the best QB we have, that's exactly why Tomlin will have him at 3rd string just like Rudolph

Edit: BTW, that was a good pass by Allen, Austin should've had it IMO

Last edited: Aug 14, 2024
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Muth is the only TE in NFL history to have 60 or more catches his first two seasons :shrug:.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Because Allen played against some scrubs now he's the best QB they have :facepalm:. Allen will be inactive on gameday.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    I'm not saying he is, but it's not out of the question

5. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Whether or not Allen is the best we have is still to be determined. What I did see was that he was much more poised in the pocket than Field

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    post like this cracks me up. Come on man, Fields had 3 possessions. Fields was against 1st team defense, Fields I’m sure had all kinds of nerves being on a new team and he was still 6 for 6. Allen played the rest of the game against practice squad players and has no pressure on him.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Fields is still very much a work in progress. Allen is to but not to the same degree. Allen's stat line should have been much better than what was shown.

8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    It was a horrible pass to someone who was open by 10 yards. You learn in Pee Wee football that if a receiver is that wide open you take something off the ball and just lob it to him. Allen gunned the ball 3 yards over Austin's head.

9. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    I’m just happy now we have all three QBs. We are going to need all three to play well to get through this schedule!

10. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Pickett lit it up during preseason last year... I remember Big Ben's preseason his rookie year.. His throws were all high and wild. Not very promising, to say the least. The Browns went 4-0 during their 2017 preseason.. they went 0-16 during that regular season.

I don't know how people haven't learned by now that preseason is a complete farce. Nothing matters. Sure, sometimes young prospects shine and that's a foreshadowing to their eventual successful careers. However, I'm sure there are even more prospects who shine in the preseason and then flop when the games count.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    DJ was not a number 1. Aiyuk might be but he has played on a great offense so I s hard to tell. This will be the first time Oickens has a QB and in a good OC system.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ha ha, I def remember thinking Ben as a rookie in preseason was probably a dud...

13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    DJ was the #1, he was the only WR on the team that was capable of running all the routes on the field for the last few years.

Say what you want about DJ, but his route running skills are right up there with the best in the league. Aiyuk would be a nice replacement for DJ :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    And next week AB will say that he hooked us up with Aiyuk, so we owe him and should bring him back too....lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This. Preseason is where special teams guys and fringe roster players get their opportunity to show they belong

In terms of QB evaluation etc it’s virtually worthless

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Fautanu and Frazier haven't taken an NFL snap yet. They could be busts for all we know. Remember Mike Adams and Kendrick Green? Memories are short around here.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    against backups and with backups. allen looked pretty good. led at least a scoring drive. rudolph played against backups too last preseason and came in and put us in the playoffs. we need that 3rd guy to be able to run things. he did. :cool:

18. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    This is true. Ask any DB who are the hardest WR's to cover, and DJ's name is almost always mentioned by them. Aiyuk would definitely be #1 on the Steelers, but it looks like a deal won't happen

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tom Ricketts, Jamain Stephens. Always a gamble with #1's for sure.

20. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Kyle Allen has had 19 NFL starts, so if he is thrust into the lineup because of injuries it won't be something new to him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Allen has the best arm of the QBs on the roster. Dude can launch it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I knew we had a good one in his first game at Miami I think. He rolled to the right to escape pressure and hit Hines Ward with side tge goal line on the edge fir a touchdown.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Yeah but do great routes matter when the scheme and implementation of the routes by the OC aren’t good. George may not be as good of a route runner but he is better at everything else and they will scheme him open. There are many ways to beat number one wr. George presents a mismatch problem. Dionte never presented that.

24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Mason Rudolph could launch it also. Didn’t make him a great QB though.

25. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Johnson was not a #1 WR because he did not make the plays when they were needed, whether it was a first down that was needed or a TD catch in a clutch part of the game. See AB. See Hines Ward. Those two would do whatever it took to win. DJ had his skillset, route running and getting open, and he improved his hands over the years, but teams did not have to game plan for him. IF DJ was a true #1 WR, he would still be a Steeler.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1