1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Aiyuk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Aug 5, 2024.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t play that what if game. Everyone always likes to point out teams that arent at their best when the Steelers play them while ignoring that the Steelers aren’t always at their best when facing teams.

As for the rest, I have a higher opinion of the team I guess. They have a very good defense, a major upgrade at OC, more improvements to the Oline, two very good RB’s. The unit with the most glaring weakness is the WR room. SB or not, Aiyuk makes the team much better.

If Wilson or Fields gives them top of line QB play, this team can make some noise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That or those 'if' questions will always be in play. This D (on paper) is better in several departments than it was last year, if healthy they can be top 10, even better. With Aiyuk, the QB play (if just decent) can make this team competitive in every game they play. I look for our TE's to have very good years simply because that is what this O is designed around, bt having Aiyuk opposite Pickens would/could have opened so many mare possibilities. Perhaps one will emerge, but the track record of those we have does not measure a at all to what he brings.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Cousins wouldn't be bad, but I was thinking someone younger. Short term Cousins could be a good thing though. Let's face it, TJ, Cam, and Minkah aren't getting any younger, and the window is rapidly closing. I just don't think it (Cousins) will happen though

4. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I don't think the window has ever been open. Its not like we are the Chicago Bulls trying to get past the Pistons. We haven't gone deep in the the playoffs in years. In fact we seemingly need a host of miracles to qualify of late. So we have some great players on Defense in Minkah and TJ, but we have done nothing in many years now to think a window was even there.

5. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    You'll get no argument from me on that, the "window" was barely cracked open to begin with. It's just a shame that we have two generational talents like TJ and Minkah with not much to show for it. Let's face it, the Steelers aren't winning anything until they get a franchise QB. Wilson is washed, and Fields is a bust. HUGE mistake not keeping Mason

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    1 preseason game in and Fields is a bust. LOL.

7. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    I'm not going by that, but what he did in Chicago. Or should I say what he didn't do in Chicago?

8. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Which was probably his plan all along. I highly doubt he ever intended to pack up and leave the golden state.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Are you saying that career 3rd string QB Mason Rudolph is a franchise QB? Come on, he is in danger of losing the backup job to Malik Willis down in Tennessee.

10. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    At this point, a trade or signing of Aiyuk would be pointless in my opinion. WR's are rarely plug and play, they take time to understand the offense, routes, timing, etc. Brining Aiyuk in now would just be paying for someone else's headache. We've always had better luck developing our own WR's than signing any big name players. I can't even think of the last big name WR we EVER signed actually. My worry is we'd bring in an arrogant head case that wouldn't actually contribute much this year.

I could be wrong, but I just can't see the urgency for a big name WR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Why would you want a 36 year old QB coming off a season ending Achilles injury, who has a $180 million contract?

DAK would be a better choice if you are just throwing money at the QB spot.

12. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Honestly I would start going hard after DK. Who ever signs the trade deal first gets the deal

Aiyuk did it right. Leveraged one team against the other

But certainly feels like it was just a tactic to get SF to up the money

Time for Omar to leverage DK on Aiyuk....ie time is ticking

If he can't get either...i would just go get Metchie from the Texans for cheap and see if he can turn into somethibg

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    We had a window and not a basement

14. Utpittsburghfan

Utpittsburghfan Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2018
    We should have moved on from this a long time ago. I want the Niners to be saddled with another untenable contract. Plus, the drama here is insane. Don’t need that **** here after dealing with our diva receivers of the past….and present.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    I don’t understand if the Steelers have a potential deal. Why not give SF a deadline or leave? Why are they giving SF so much time. Lets move on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    forget Aiyuk lets support Pickens give him the Ball.I Think he can be THE BEST

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    No, I'm saying that I think he could've been a better "bridge" than Wilson or Fields until we get a real QB

18. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    It’s hard to be the best WR if you are the only weapon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Friermuth and Pickens are proven weapons. Problem is.... can Muth stay healthy and can Pickens not implode like AB did?

20. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Muth is hardly elite. I can’t even say he’s overrated cause you have to be at least very good for that stature. Heath was a beast. Muth is nowhere near that. Pickens I worry about being a team player but time will tell. This season will show me whether he is or not.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I get the point, and don't think it would go that way. His CAP cut would be over 60 million (like Denver), I just brought it up as something to look for (for some team), if he plays well enough to establish that he is healed, he and Atlanta may have discussions of I want out of here, their CAP situation is not the worst, it could be a situation where a team might take on that debt (if it could be leveraged) to take a gamble. His guaranteed money would be gone at that time, his salary would be manageable and could likely be had for a lower draft pick just to get him out of there. Not saying we should or would, but after GB and Denver unloaded their QB's with massive cap hits, nothing would surprise me.

22. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    well, this is going to end anti-climatically for the Steelers.. i'd say move onto plan B, but it doesn't appear there is a plan B given how long the Steelers have allowed the 49ers to drag this out. we're going to have to roll the dice with an unproven rookie, a loose cannon in Pickens, and an injury prone Muth. oh boy.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Utpittsburghfan

Utpittsburghfan Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2018

That’s the issue, we should have told the Niners to pound sand a long time ago.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Its pretty unrealistic, but taking the CAP hits like GB and Denver did by unloading their QB's was unrealistic. And I would not advocate for him or anyone at this point. Just saying in this league strange things happen.

25. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    The problem with Muth is he rarely gets open. Seems like he's good for maybe 2 games a year, the rest of the time he's almost nonexistent