1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Aiyuk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Aug 5, 2024.

1. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Has there ever been a bigger D/(%v tease in NFL history than this trade?

My phone beeps with "breaking" news 2 or 3 times a day saying it's a done deal only for nothing to have happened

HACK

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    There was a lot of talk about this on several radio programs just now as I was moving my kid into college and I don't know if the hang up is Aiyuk. By all accounts, he wants to come here and it sounds as if a verbal deal may be in place. Problem is, satisfying Aiyuk is the first of two problems. Now, the Steelers have to offer the right draft pick compensation to the 9ers and I believe that's where the hang up is. I'm thinking they want at least 1 first round pick and they have the leverage because Aiyuk is under contract.

I just hope the Steelers don't fold and give up too much draft capital for a guy they may already be planning on paying north of 30 mill a season for.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Time is ticking.... How long will it take Aiyuk, who is not even practicing right now with the 49ers, to be ready to play in a new offense with a new QB as WR 1?

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If you look at top receivers in the last few years who became available or moved to new teams, it has really been more miss than hit. Hopkins forced his way out, never really put whatever team he went to into the next level. Diggs forces his way out of MN and has some statistical success but the Bills couldn't get over the hump. Adams takes the money and goes to Vegas and is one of the four or five good players on a horrible team. Hill leaves KC and goes to Miami, huge points and success just can't get over that hump either.

This maybe the only time in the next 10 years where Pittsburgh has the money and opportunity to get a good player to complement other good players and see if they can move the needle. No way it happens last season and probably not next with everything coming due. Could be just the right time to gamble.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm betting not that long if Smith is a good teacher. He played for a very creative and prepared coach and system. I'm sure he can master run really fast up the sudeline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    I'm not sternly against it but I just don't have that much confidence in the quarterback situation to warrant giving up significant draft capital for him. I feel like the money is doable but I don't see they're future quarterback on the roster right now and I think they'll need all the picks they can get to go get them one.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Art ll said after last season he was tired of losing in the playoffs, you put Aiyuk on the Steelers they're just as good as the other teams in the AFC except for the Chiefs because of Mahomes.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m now reading that he’s close to completing a deal to stay with the 49ers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Man, I will never fault you for your optimism because I'm that guy too but I just don't know how you can make that statement with the quarterback situation the way it is.

I'm going to have to see way more out of both of them before I'll be remotely confident that they can even have a winning season. Much less go further than that. With or without Aiyuk

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

As it has been the case.

Aiyuk has been the one holding the leverage. Not shocked at all in any of this. That said, I'd suspect something does happen within the next 48 hours.

11. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    49ers making the Steelers wait so long the hypocycloids on the logo are all turning blue

HACK

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    At this point I hope this isnt another Tomlin white whale that Kahn is investing time and effort into and ends up being the 49ers using the Steelers to set a market price that they can exceed it. It's like Hightower all over again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Good luck with that.

Omar has had the likes of Kevin Colbert and Bill Nunn as teachers. Both are (will in Colberts case) be in Canton Ohio. Omar will be fine here.

It is John Lynch who is on borrowed time here. For that matter, all of these recent reports means that San Fran is the one who is going to blink in the end. Question remains... to whom?!

Aiyuk or the Steelers?!

Time will tell.

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Reports are the owner wants to keep him. So keep him.

Does anyone think with uncertainty's still with the offense that Aiyuk is going to be the catalyst for playoff success? Well if so he better be giving up two high picks that are needed to add to the DL and SS and then paying him 28 mill.

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers don't have the depth and quality of Chiefs and 49ers rosters. Not even close. Aiyuk doesn't fix OL, DL, QB and secondary issues.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I don't think the acquisition of a single player will make this team as good as any team in the afc other than the chiefs. There are a ton of questions about this team that has to be answered. Way to many holes that need to be filled at this point. Including QB

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    At this point, I'd be shocked if the 49ers didn't up their offer and keep Aiyuk. Unless just frustrated, I think those two sides will figure it out.

However, just as important is this: the Steelers are willing to make a trade and sign a big-time player to a long-term deal. That's a huge deviation from the typical "Steelers Culture." Omar wants to win and will go against the norm to do it. So. Damn. Refreshing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    It has to be proven on the field, but many of those holes have been filled. Aiyuk could bring a valuable weapon to the WR room, IF they buy into it Pickens, Muth, and any QB would benefit by his presence. That really is for this year though, because if given that huge contract you won't be able to keep Pickens long term, still need to decide on a long term QB.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If they get solid play from QB then absolutely. Aiyuk would make a huge difference to this offense. They have nothing at WR after Pickens except a rookie and a collection of stiffs. Keep fooling yourselves if you think Van Jefferson is the answer.

They won 10 games with Pickett and company, are people forgetting that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    No surprise that Aiyuk is staying with the 49ers. If the Steelers were going to make a deal for him, it would've happened by now. I heard the 49ers wanted two 1st round picks, so forget that. I think they need to save that 30 million a year they would've had to pay Aiyuk, and try to trade for (or sign) a top 10 QB. If not this year, then next. If they go their usual 9-8 this year, the best QB's will already be gone in next years draft. Let's not put the cart before the horse

Last edited: Aug 14, 2024
  22. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Burrow,the meat slapper and Lamar also were out. If we are going to be truthful about whole situation . Thats 3 games that would’ve been probable. BA is not going to make this team a Superbowl contender this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    not long

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Hard time looking past this year when the roster is not even set, but I thought of something and it would not be past the realm of possibilities, (especially the way this team has gone with QB's since Ben retired).

I don't know who is going to be available in the FA market, nor who will emerge for the draft, but keep an eye on Atlanta. If Penix shows he is ready, then Kirk and the team may just want to move on. The dead CAP hit would be massive, but creative minds could make a deal work for all involved, especially if he shows he can still play.

Do i want him, no. Just saying he could be on the market and teams with a need will be looking.

25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

well.....it was more 'company'

pickett was tanking, failing. had he not hurt his ankle, we may have finished w 6 straight losses. he sucked.

he went 7-7 as a starter.

• Agree Agree x 1