1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Aiyuk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Aug 5, 2024.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    They are obviously trying to up the return by "re-engaging in contract talks". Aiyuk says there's two options... It appears that they are meet his salary demands or trade him to Pittsburgh.

I guess the third option is do neither and play the season out with Aiyuk on his last year of the deal and lose him after the season for nothing.

3. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    They can't force anything. It probably means Aiyuk either plays for the 9ers or sits out (this would be a terrible option). Aiyuk has caused enough of a scene throwing his leverage around and meeting neither of his demands risks him being a malcontent that causes problems throughout the season. He won't sign for less. He had his money demands met by multiple teams in this exercise. He is getting his money, and it wont be in SF.

4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am pretty sure one the reasons Aiyuk wants out is that not only do the 49ers want him to play on their 5th year option, but the 49ers also plan to Tag him next year. (Tag and Trade)

I don't know if a player can somehow add verbage to a contract that guarantees his team cannot use the franchise tag on him when the contract expires.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Maybe its not over, Johnny.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Boy, I believe Ayuk and his agent better revisit Levean Bell's negotiation and see how botched
    that was by Bell and his agent. It ruined is career.

7. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Oh man did it ever! Well, that and a lot of miles on the wheels.

We are like the Apostles of the first century, who believed that Jesus would be back momentarily. Eventually they quit paying attention to the clouds and got on about other daily business.
    I am done paying any attention to the Aiyuk situation until something concrete happens.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    They would still get a comp pick?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Not sure what you are suggesting. If the contract expires then there are no binding agreements in place by the team or player.

And NFL rules say a player cannot refuse a tag. They CAN, however, refuse to play under one (sit out).

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Or go the Kirk Cousins route. Play under the tag two years in a row get that fully guaranteed money while balling out and then get that mega deal with guaranteed money upfront on the deal. It's unbelievable how much money that man has gotten in his career just being average.

11. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Yes, they would. But the compensatory structure would take into account their additions too. So theoretically yes, but it is at best a late 3rd rounder (depending on other additions potentially less). If the offer is a second and a third, they would be getting two picks better than the one they get via compensatory.

12. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Ruined his career and was a few years away from a hall of fame discussion. One of the worst decisions I have ever seen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I don't like hearing "strong offer ". If we send Austin, I'm not going to like it.

14. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Oh certainly. He definitely does not want to get tagged. That is why all these players are trying to negotiated contracts 2-3 years into their careers now (see Jamar Chase). A one year contract is daunting in a league where one injury could be it. I totally get it.

Another reason is California taxes. At 28 million a year he is a couple million bucks richer per year for playing in a place like PA than he would be in CA. I think ultimately this is the best year for him to have leverage. He is trying to use it to go where he wants... Its all but killed his potential to re-sign in SF since the open market has seen multiple contracts that Aiyuk would agree to money-wise, so he is obviously seeing the money that SF isn't willing to pay.

I honestly think we still end up completing the trade. SF is trying super hard to get the most out of him (and based off reports got better offers they turned down on draft day), so they are pulling out all the stops to up the compensation (like stating that contract talks have re-opened when Aiyuk clearly says they haven't). Either way I assume there will be a resolution this upcoming week at some point. They will either deal him here or end trade discussions and tell him he's playing out the year.

15. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Yep. Kid got some really bad advice from some people that he trusted to make him money. It ended up costing him money. He's stated numerous times now that he regrets everything... hindsight obviously, but he thought he was doing the right thing at the time.

He was such a special player, and truly one of the most talented players to ever wear a Steelers uniform. It was too bad that we only had him for a short time.

16. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Why? You wouldn't be okay flipping Austin for Aiyuk? I get there's money implications, but sometimes you gotta give a bit to get.

I like Austin as well, but he is still unproven potential. I think he will end up being a good player, but it is highly unlikely that he is going to develop into a better player than Aiyuk. A second rounder and Austin wouldn't break my heart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would do that in a heartbeat. I would be more concerned on what the draft picks are than Austin. Im not too interested in parting with a 1st rd pick.

18. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I wouldn’t. I would like to see what have in Austin in this new offense. I still think on raw ability alone George Pickens is a better Receiver than Aiyuk. If he can put it all together he will be a top five Wr this year. I don’t think it is worth it to spend 30 Million on Aiyuk. The guy is good but I believe he benefits greatly from a fantastic offense. Lets keep the money and the draft picks and spend it on retaining our own players. I think it is really risky to put it all in like this. It makes me wonder if Tomlin is willing to do this because he is planning to retire in three years or whenever his contract is up.

By the way here are my rankings of WR’s
    1. Justin Jefferson
    2. Devante Adams
    3. CeeDee Lamb
    4. Garrett Wilson
    5. George Pickens
    6. Jamaar Chase
    7. Tyreek Hill
    8. AJ Brown
    9. Puka Nacua
    10. Amonron St. Brown

I am not talking production ... I am talking ability.
    To me some of these guys are pure speed. Yes obviously they can catch and can run routes but they don’t have the fluidity or eye hand coordination of Pickens. Chase and Hill are those speed guys. Brown is big and fast but not as fluid as Pickens. Nacua and St. Brown are high effort gritty Receivers. I guess what I am saying is if George hit his ceiling and matured with a better attitude I could defiantly see him ranked at 5. I know I have Devante Adams listed high but on pure ability alone Jefferson is the only one better than him. He is older and on an inferior offense with inferior QB play compared to everyone this list so his production is not gong to be commemorate with his skill set.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It will take more than Austin and a second to get Aiyuk, I would offer Daniels, Austin and a second in 2025 maybe a 4th or 5th in 2026.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Second and fourth at best is my thoughts. But if we send Austin then only a second at best.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    But with the current group of receivers it would be easy for teams to use double coverage on Pickens, with Aiyuk that probably doesn't happen.

22. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Dag nam your killing the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    This is true. Either scenario would be tremendously better if the Steelers can effectively run the ball.
    I really hope Smith's offensive scheme and some more consistent QB play pays dividends this year. If Aiyuk does end up here and those two things can happen, this offense could be a real problem for opposing defenses to stop.

• Like Like x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well, what the Steelers are currently offering isn't good enough for the 49ers.

25. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1