1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Aiyuk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Aug 5, 2024.

1. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    Lol.

What's growing up have to do with anything I said? I watched a game, and made an observation. You know, like the most important game these players will ever play in. The game where elite talent is supposed to rise. Well, Aiyuk didn't rise. Not only that, he disappeared. He's a very good WR, but he is not elite.
    The 49ers(Edit:KC) didn't "gameplan" him out of that game, lol. They lined up their guy against him and basically said "beat us if you can". He couldn't.
    The 49ers (Edit:I meant to say KC)game planned for CMC and putting pressure on Purdy, period

Last edited: Aug 9, 2024
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

my point is - we can do better than look at a few plays, a Super Bowl, project and then make an observation

this kid is very talented. KC's defense was top 2/3 last year.

He schooled us week 1 last year, go back and watch that one. Go watch many of his games, not just a Super Bowl.

Antonio Brown was shut down numerous times in BIG GAMES. He was still an elite #1.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Just some random musings, and my two cents on Brandon Aiyuk.

I have followed him as a player since college. I remember wanting the Steelers to draft him. I wasn't the only one. I seem to recall a few others that thought highly of him during the board draft. All that being said, Brandon Aiyuk is a great player. I do not believe him to be an elite player. The guy has great size and speed. He does run good routes, however I have seen him misplay catchable balls on multiple occasions. He also will drop one on occasion. I have seen concentration drops similar to DJ. Perhaps not to the level of DJ, but they have happened from time to time.

Brandon Aiyuk is an outstanding complimentary receiver. If you put him in a situation where there are other weapons on the offense he will excel. He is NOT a standalone, NFL top 5 wide out, type player. George Pickens actually has the potential to be a top 5 type of receiver. If you compare the two players, I feel like George Pickens has a higher upside, and is capable of doing things at the receiver position that Aiyuk simply is not. This is why the notion of trading Pickens for Aiyuk makes absolutely no sense. Not only would that leave the Steelers in the same position they are currently, but it also leaves the Steelers with a player in Aiyuk, that frankly, isn't as skilled as Pickens. Yes, I get the whole maturity thing.

I for one love the idea of bringing Aiyuk in. I'm not even sure I mind the enormous salary he will command. But there is no way the Steelers should go overboard with trade compensation. It is not worth weakening one, or multiple positions, to add Aiyuk. The fact of the matter is none of us know what type of quarterback play the Steelers are going to have in 2024. I read a lot of you saying that the Steelers have upgraded the position. This remains to be seen. If the Steelers do not get solid quarterback play out of Wilson/Fields, then it is not going to matter if Jerry Rice and Tim Brown start a receiver.

Trades I would make :

I would give up a 1st round pick as long as the Steelers get something back. For instance, the Steelers give up a 1st and a 5th, but get a 4th back in return. (Justification) I don't mind giving up a 1st for Aiyuk. Aiyuk is established, and honestly better than any receiver the Steelers would end up drafting next year.

I would move on from Roman Wilson if a player is required to make the deal happen. (Justification) Roman Wilson is the only receiver on the roster besides Pickens that actually has some upside. Wilson in Pittsburgh has the upside of a run of the mill, 50 catch, 600 yard guy. In Shannahan's offense he has potential to be more than that. With Pickens and Aiyuk here, guys like Jefferson, Miller, and CA3 do not seem as bad rounding out the room. The Steelers can draft another mid round receiver next year.

I would consider trading Najee Harris. (Justification) The Steelers already declined the option on Najee. He is basically a one year rental at this point. Jaylen Warren will have a larger role in this offense, or at least it appears that way. The Steelers do have Patterson, and if they want to add to the RB room, it is a lot easier to do that than it is to add to the WR room.

Trades I would not make :

I would 110% not trade George Pickens.

I would not trade Alex Highsmith or any key defensive players.

I would not trade Pat Freiermuth

I would not trade any of our offensive lineman. The Steelers seem to have depth on the O-line for once. The Steelers can bring the rookies on slowly if they choose to. I wouldn't waste that luxury.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I fear they may have the same mindset as your sarcasm.

5. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    That’s my whole point. We literally won’t have any draft picks to draft for all of those needs.

6. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    And he will become a bigger problem with Aiyuk in the fold.

7. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Why can’t the Steelers just try to get Alec Pierce (Colts) or Noah Brown (Texans)? Those guys are number three on their perspective teams. Actually Brown is number 4. They could get them at a much cheaper price and they would be a perfect number two on the Steelers. We would pay them less and give up significantly less in draft capital without having to give up any players. Both of those guys are big, fast and have been productive in the limited roles with which they have been given. I think they have enough talent at least to allow Pickens to cook. At the end of the day in this offense the delta between Aiyuk and one of those guys certainly doesn’t justify spending 30 million a year and losing a 2nd and 3rd and possibly more.

8. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Lol...... yeah, but he did average over 50 yds per punt during the head to head beat down they gave us.... one of his few really good days

9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

sure we do.

and it's not 'all those needs'

we have a #1 RB, we nee a #2 and 3 (and we might have him on the roster behind Najee and Warren now...)

it is not too hard to figure this out.

I'd like to WIN now in 2024 - maybe win a playoff game, maybe even win 2 of them.

get that winning edge back.

2025 will take care of itself.

10. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    I never said I only watched the Superbowl to draw my conclusions on Brandon Aiyuk. I said I happened to catch the replay on NFL network yesterday and focus only on Aiyuk. I said it put me even more in the "pass" column. Go back and read what it is I've wrote. I have stated I live in the pacific northwest. I get to see more than my share of 9ers games. They literally play Seahawks, Raiders and 49ers games out here unless it's a prime time game. I've seen plenty of Aiyuk.
    It's actually a bit comical to me that you say to do better than use one game to draw a conclusion, the Superbowl, then continue to use the Steelers vs 49ers game (in multiple posts btw) to confirm your bias.
    Comparing AB to this guy in any form or fashion is not legitimate. There is zero comparison. One guy had a borderline HoF career and had quite a few years of being considered the best WR in the league. The other guy has put up a few years of nice production. AB wasn't "shut down numerous times in big games" . He was the quintessential big game WR while here in Pittsburgh.
    Last thing, when you capitalize the things you're writing you realize it's like yelling right? RIGHT? It doesn't make your point BETTER. It makes it more ANNOYING.

11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I sense some sarcasm. I fixed it for ya

12. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    It all comes down to if we retain one of these QB’s or not. If one of them performs well this year then next year we have to extend one of them. That still leaves us hopefully extending Friermuth this year. We still will need to extend Heyward because we will probably lose Ogunjobi next year which isn’t that much of a loss but we still will have to replace him. That will still leave a hole at RB and possibly Wr if Pickens holds out. With only a first round pick and having spent the second, third and fourth round picks how are we going to draft starter capable players for DT, RB and WR? Maybe that Georgia FA rookie RB will pan out. But we will still need a WR I believe next year even with this Aiyuk pickup.

13. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    And a head coach he doesn't butt heads with every step of the way.

14. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    The grass is greener above my septic tank

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Let go of your hatred, young Skywalker. Optimism is one of the few things left that is free. If we're wrong and the Steelers suck a$$ so be it. No sense in being miserable for no reason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    We should cut TJ, he was not impressive in some of our p/o.games. Logical? It happens, even to the best.

17. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Not angry at all sir. Whether they win or lose doesnt pay my bills. Just spouting my opinions like the next person. Unicorns and rainbows for everyone.
    Also, I really do have green grass above my septic tank and drain field…true story

18. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    And free beer!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    And funny cigarettes

20. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Or edibles.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    IMG_0699.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Or magical brownies

• Like Like x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

that was your case study, the Super Bowl

that was the data I had to work with

good bye

Aiyuk is very good. Get ready for it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Where is @S.T.D.

25. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    TJ is a perennial DPOY candidate, he is the "elite" at his position. The other guy we're talking about here isn't a perennial anything candidate, yet some are saying he's "elite". He's not, he's simply very good in a league loaded with very good WRs.
    Not sure if you're legitimately trying to compare Watts, performance/impact/tier level to his peer group to Aiyuk or just being sarcastic and contrary. I'll give you the benefit that it's the later because the context of your post is a bit ridiculous.