1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Aiyuk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Aug 5, 2024.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I feel the ame way about this trade as I did with the Minkah trade. I remember thinking "Why now? What's the point?". And that was for a guy on a rookie deal.

This may cost just as much, not to mention the fiscal hit.

You may say that the Minkah trade really worked out, but did it? He's been very good, but we've had him for 5 years and won nothing.

Adding Minkah, or adding Aiyuk, or Queen, surely will make your team better, but it's not fixing the two common, and most important, denominators of the last five futile years, Tomlin and a weak QB.

And I don't think Fields is gonna suddenly be amazing, and think Russ is on his way out.

It seems foolish to go into debt when they're probably, at minimum, 2- 3 years away.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    And the next time he wants more??

3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Agree. MT is the common denominator and until the owners get their heads out of their asses, mediocrity is the standard.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    This is so on point that it cannot be reposted enough.
    QB and HC are and will continue to be the ultimate straw that breaks their back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think that's perhaps a too high standard for what 'works out'. There's a lot of pieces to a winning team - and a strong QB with a ****ty secondary isn't going get you there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Aiyuk AIYUK AIYUK GET IT DONE STEELERS

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    I'll take 2 please.
    That'll put us in the Super Bowl

8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

well, not if we are a wild card team - then it takes 3 ;)

only 1 team gets the Bye and 2 wins get them to the SB....

9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i would just say that you build the BEST TEAM that you can for any given year.

that is where we are here today, 8/8/24.

AIYUK would make this team much more competitive on the offensive side of the ball.

2025 will be another season.......one high priced WR will not kill this offense. Just means Pickens won't get that $$$......and YES - he maybe a problem child b/c he will figure that out.

10. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Dammit man . I'm not changing my 15-2 prediction in the season record poll guey.
    Not gonna do it
    not gonna do it
    :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021

12. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    I just got done watching the replay of last year's Superbowl. I focused exclusively on Brandon Aiyuk. I am even further in the "pass" column on this trade.

By the 12:00 min mark of OT this guy had 3 catches for 49 yards. Faced single coverage for a lot of that game. Some zone coverage.

I know it's one game, but it's THE game. He was not an impact player on the biggest stage in the biggest moments. Top tier WR money? No thanks

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Minkah has been with us for 5 years and was First Team All-Pro for 3 of those years. I would say it was a successful trade, a first round pick for a key piece on our defense.

Given how the salary cap works, I feel like you have to keep the cupboards stocked. At any given point, you will have some big name players on years 3 or 4 of their contract and other times big names in years 1 or 2.

With how quickly the market changes for star players, I think you need to stagger big contracts on your roster. In other words, you cannot sign a bunch of great players over the course of one or two years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Well 20 and 0 or 21-0, I mean if we don't get a bye being perfect, then we did something really spectacular. lol

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers to my knowledge have never paid
    2 talented wr's at the same time beside Stallwworth and Swann.
    AB and Manny Sanders two of the most talented recently, You know
    how that went. Manny took off for greener pastures.

16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    How abt we stop posting on this B.A feed until some legit news breaks... tired of checking the new Ba posts only to find it's just member caring on a convrrsation whether we should should or should not sign him..;)

17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    We got Minkah in the beginning of his second year, a top 5 pick, it was and still is a no brainer trade. Managing the CAP is not an easy thing to accomplish. Teams do it different ways, The Rams went without 1st round picks for several years, had some big contracts, but found and find good players in lower rounds. The 'boys are facing the situation you mentioned, they were stretched at the beginning of this CAP year and really had no money to sign anyone. Now have to make a decision on signing 2 key players they drafted (both wanting top tier money), and making a decision on their QB who will want 60 million a year. Its not a question of should they (that's debatable on many levels), it's if they do how do they sign some other key players.

18. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I agree with your point, but wonder if this points to the fact that the Steelers are uncertain about where Pickens future is with the team.

Frankly, after all of Pickens antics, I personally feel like he should be on thin ice. He either shapes up or finds himself being traded like Johnson and the other WRs before him (Holmes, Brown, Claypool, Bryant, etc).

I feel like this could be an opportunity to safeguard against the possibility that Pickens doesn’t mature.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Always one guy who has to break up the meaningless party, lol. I'm with ya'

20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Minkah trade was a phenomenal success, it was other moves they made before and after that were the issue, Edmunds, Bush etc. Minkah deal was a slam dunk and you’d do it again every time

I see what you are saying in relation to Aiyuk but they have the cap space to make it happen and it addresses a clear weakness. As long as they don’t get fleeced for draft capital it could well be a risk worth taking.

QB definitely a big question mark but that market is changing. Cousins hit the open market this offseason, Dak may hit it next offseason. This roster could win with that type of QB and you wouldn’t have to give up any picks. You never know what’s around the corner and they now have some cap flexibility

21. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    There's absolutely no fun in that approach! Lol

Now I've added to the new post, and you have a little red splotch at the top right of your screen to let you know somebody quoted your post! Lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    In reality if they sign BA for that kind of money I just do not think there would be any room for Pickens long term under the CAP. We can always hope for a Claypool type trade, lol.

23. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
  24. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see any team giving the 49ers two 1st round picks for Aiyuk.

• Agree Agree x 2