1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Aiyuk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Aug 5, 2024.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    we will figure out 2025 and beyond.....when they get here.

let's win a playoff game or dare i say, 2 - THIS YEAR.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    This guy seems like a cancer. And we're inviting him in with open arms??? This deal will not work out well for us

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Are we getting another Antonio Brown..... After he left the Steelers? Aiyuk seems to be in the same path.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

could be - who knows. alot of cancers with these Diva WR's, I had stated that earlier in this thread.

He was not a cancer in the locker room - just now, that he wants his $$.

We'd get ~3 good years from him - then he'd start this with our FO.......

6. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Where is anyone hearing that Aiyuk is a cancer in the locker room? Just because he wants paid? That's quite different from AB's antics or even Pickens' blunders.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    This is more in line with Leveon honestly. Basically refusing to play without a new long term contract.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I don't think that he's a cancer. But I do see a lot of similarities with how Antonio Brown was. Both players want to get paid. Both players want to get paid well above average. Both players want to trade. Both players just can't find a way to make things work with the team they're on. Both players are expressing a lot of dissatisfaction with how things are. It is very similar to the trajectory that Antonio Brown was on.

Aiyuk is a great receiver. That can't be disputed. But I do think that he is too expensive for the Steelers. The amount of money he wants is going to hurt us in the future trade caps. We would end up having to renegotiate his contract if not next year, certainly the year after.

The 49ers want unrealistic trade picks if the rumors are to be believed. Everything from multiple first-round picks to Pickens or Friermuth. It makes zero sense to trade away one of our good receivers for one of their good receivers and give them a bunch of picks on top of it. That's a net gain in the negative for us...... And don't forget to add in that we're paying 30 million dollars to a receiver and giving up our equal receiver who is still on a rookie contract.

One thing that I do have faith with when it comes to the Steelers these days is Khan's eye for a deal. I don't think that he's going to let us get screwed over in any way on a trade.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Seems high maintenance to me. Like Wilson etc I think he is high maintenance too. Pickens high maintenance lol. These players are getting just as bad the NBA players.

10. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    WR has always been a diva position.

11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Getting Aiyuk makes the schedule less brutal.

12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I will be looking to see if James Daniels or Calvin Austin play on Friday. If one of those players is held out of the game, this would be a huge indication that this payer has been traded.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I’m not so sure. Lots of starters don’t generally play in the first preseason game. Austin isn’t exactly a lock to be a starter, so I would expect him to play, but Daniels? It wouldn’t be odd if he didn’t, regardless of any trade speculation.

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    And look where that got Mr. Bell.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Fan fiction is always fun. I cannot find any smoke out there whatsoever about Aiyuk being a diva or a cancer or high maintenance. He wants to be paid while he has a window of opportunity. He played out his rookie deal and over performed it dramatically. I don’t really like that he is seemingly unwilling to play out his option year, but many top talents like him get long term extensions from their teams before ever having to play out the option year. If the 49ers aren’t willing to resign him at market, I get why he would want to get his payday while his stock is high.

Cancer? Diva? :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019

The 30 million per year sucks just to see it on paper, but we are going to have to spend on O sooner or later. I can't make a determination on him, the 9's reportedly offered him 24-5 million in May, which is probably a fair assessment, but the market is what it is. If, and it is still an if, our O line develops we are pretty much on the cheap there for the next 2 or even 3 years, what we decide to do at QB could be an issue, the other positions TE and RB will likely take care of themselves.

17. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Steelers will have to get lucky to find their franchise QB. Steelers have shown for as long as I’ve been watching them that they don’t tank. Therefore, they are highly unlikely to ever suck so bad that it warrants a top pick to have a chance at getting a potential franchise QB out the draft.

The Ben Roethlisberger pick doesn’t get talked about enough on how pathetic the Raiders and Browns were in that draft.

There is no reason why Big Ben should have got passed 6th overall. No reason. Even when you look at the teams from 6 to 10 in that draft, you realize why those teams have continued to suck ass for all or the majority of the last 20 years.

• Like Like x 1
  18. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    If I'm being honest, I find it quite baffling that anyone would be surprised by an athlete wanting to get paid more than fans feel they are worth. It's not like this is something new.
    Le'Veon Bell's situation was completely different. He chose to take an entire year off. He gambled and lost. That decision, in my opinion, essentially ruined his career. Aiyuk hasn't stated anything like that. Above and beyond that, yes I'm sure he wants to get paid but you guys are assuming that he is driving all of this and not the 49ers organization. They are the ones who want something significant back for Aiyuk.
    If you guys are upset by his actions now, you're really going to freak out if they were to actually start negotiating his next contract. That's where the big money will be.

19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019

i get it, they supposedly offered 24 million range in May, he balked. That they could tag him at least one time for whatever that will be in 25, then again in 26 if they wanted wouldn't thrill me. It's great money, but still not the guarenteed money is sees others getting.

20. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The Browns passed on Ben to take Kellen Winslow Jr. lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

agreed

never heard he was a problem in the locker room or on game day

like knuckleheads Brown and Pickens

22. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    So the Steelers will provide that pay day?

23. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Call me crazy but I really can’t see Aiyuk and Pickens co-existing in what is built to be a run-heavy offense. There won’t be enough touches to make them both happy.

Aiyuk would make the Steelers a bette team, but given the cost in salary and trade assets I’m not sure he makes sense for the Steelers.

24. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    This is true, but if the Steelers truly want to be an elite team, they need to have as much elite talent as possible. I know the Steelers will never be confused with the 1999 Rams, who had Faulk, Bruce, Torrey Holt, Az Hakim, etc., but Mike Martz was able to utilize all those players. The 49ers have to get the ball to McCaffery, Samuel, Kittle, and Aiyuk, plus supporting cast players. Why can't Smith utilize Harris, Warren, Pickens, Friermuth, and hopefully, Aiyuk?

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s seems that they might. I never said I supported it (see my earlier post), but I have seen nothing out there that’s credible that indicates that Aiyuk is in any way a cancer or diva. Recent statements by his teammates seem to indicate the exact opposite. That may be why we seem so interested. A very good receiver who seems to be a good guy. How many of those are there?