1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Aiyuk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Aug 5, 2024.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Ditto

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    Watch 9ers games. I'm in the pacific northwest and see more 9ers games than I would prefer. Purdy finding wide open receivers is the norm, not the exception. They don't throw a lot because they simply don't have to and when a team gets to operate a heads of the chains all game it sets the table for the offense to pick their spots and play to their advantage. Maybe no other team outside the Chiefs benefit from that, and I would argue that outside of maybe 2 games last year the 9ers did whatever/whenever they wanted. Aiyuk is a very good WR. He's is absolutely no J.Jefferson, J. Chase, T. Hill, CD Lamb type.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    I hope to be wrong, honestly. Especially considering what has been rumored to be the trade details.
    I like him, I just don't think the production he's enjoyed in SF translates to the Burgh.

4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  5. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Aiyuk is not as good that Chase,Hill,Jefferson,etc but he is still in the second tier,so very good and this is not like the steelers would gave the farm to have him....

6. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    Former Jets GM is all I need to know.

No please, just no.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Love to have Aiyuk if the cost is right. He's a damn good player and would really help here. We've been clearing cap money for him and are not tied heavily into future costs. I'd give a 2nd and/or a player where we have good depth. I'm not doing a 1st or someone clearly important to us (like Muth). SF has no leverage in this despite trying to create it with the Cleveland and New England rumors. Kid only wants to play here, and just like Fields, the Steelers only have to wait it out. Omar has certainly done well. Also, for whatever failings Tomlin has, and he has some, this is yet another time where guys in the league really want to play for him. That is hugely valuable.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    There's a reason that moron kept getting fired.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    If the Steelers can get Aiyuk, and "not give up the farm" I am more a fan of the move to get him. The trade details I've heard, for the most part, have been far to much given for the return. Especially considering there would/could be a large contract that would be negotiated for BA should he be traded to them.

10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Wait... this is back in play? I wrote this off as wishful thinking back in June!

If Khan pulls this off and doesn't sell the farm for it, just make his bust for Canton already.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    The Steelers WR's and TE's don't get open very often (especially deep), this has been a problem for years now. Of course it would be nice to have a Hill or Chase, but even another guy like Mike Wallace would be a great addition. I like Aiyuk, but I don't think he's worth what the Steelers will have to give up for him. They need a burner, and Aiyuk isn't that

• Like Like x 1
  12. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I’m just curious to know who all is logging in every 15 minutes to see if a deal is done yet.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Aiyuk had almost 20 yards per catch last season on 75 receptions

14. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    I am one of them!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  16. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    If 93.7 The Phlegm is to be believed, looks like this is happening! If Khan gets Aiyuk and gives up Dan Moore, I will be well pleased. Draft choices would of course be involved, but Khan is usually pretty sharp on his moves. They are not going to do anything remotely as idiotic as the Browns did with the Watson deal.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
  17. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    [​IMG]

18. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    still no trade at the moment....

19. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    Now show how often those other WRs faced double coverages, like percentage wise.

When someone throws these stats out in comparison to other teams/WRs it attempts to show that they are the same skill type players, when they actually are not.

My point is, those other WRs put up those stats in spite of being the main focus of their respective offenses. Teams schemed to stop those players and still couldn't. The focus on the 9rs team is CMC.
    In fact, I do believe that every skill player(CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle) on the 9ers are in the top 10, or even 5, for YAC and TDs per reception and 20+ yard plays. At one point last year Aiyuk and Deebo were #1 and #2 in YAC.
    All I'm trying to say is, while he us a talent for sure, he is a product of his environment to an extent. The real issue is knowing exactly how great or not that environment manipulates that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

I would be worried if Aiyuk would be the only weapon for the steelers but that wouldn't be the case...If we have Aiyuk and the defenses decide to double him, Pickens will have more 1 on 1 situations...And the running game would be better. And Arthur Smith loves to use TEs and I expect a very good season from Pat..So it wouldn't be a one man show...If Corey Davis was able to have over 900 receiving yards in 2020 in an Arthur Smith offense as the second WR, I have no doubt that Aiyuk can be great too...This is not a Kyle Shanahan offense but this is far to be a Matt Canada offense too

• Like Like x 1
  21. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
  22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Some of us have jobs. Every 30 minutes for me. Gotta go. Here comes the boss.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Some of that is due to scheme and QB play. Teams were jamming wr's at the line and they couldn't work free as the play developed which allowed safety and LB help. When that happens 3 step drops quick underneath passes and strong runs are what's needed. The Steelers were never quick to identify when a receiver had be given a 5-8 cushion at the line on a 2nd and short and have an audible ready to just turn it into a quick slant. Who knows if that will change but it's damn frustrating looking at it and going jeez Tomlin attack how they are playing you.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I'm curious to see what type of deal we would offer. I understand you have to give to get, but Aiyuk isn't playing for the 9ers in 2025... so some of that leverage is out the door. I guess Freiermuth makes some sense, but I don't love our TE group behind him. We'd be thrusting Washington into a tough position (maybe he's ready, maybe not), but we'd be pretty thin at TE in an offensive scheme that wants to use its TE's. Daniels makes sense too kinda. We have good G depth (Herbig likely starts in his stead) with the newly drafted McCormick and Anderson, so that would be the "easiest" person to replace. Pickens makes no sense to trade in this scenario. Not sure I'd trade him straight up for Aiyuk. Calvin Austin could easily be a part of the deal. To be honest, Najee Harris would be an interesting add to the trade as well. I get they have CMC, but he isn't signed for a long time and he's already 28. Might be moving off of CMC and onto Harris past 2024. Lots of options to be honest.

I wouldn't want us to get too antsy and give up too much, but if they are certain they aren't walking away with a first round pick... a second and a player (preferably one with a bit of contract value) would make a decent deal in place.

• Agree Agree x 1