1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2024 steelers training camp

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jul 25, 2024.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Last edited: Aug 3, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    What I like seeing in these highlights is that Fields is making these throws while in the pocket. These big throws are not from scrambling around and throwing on the run but of course knowing that the defense can't touch him probably adds a lot to his comfort in the pocket. Still he does look very impressive.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    its encouraging. But Facing pressure in a regular season game knowing you can get flattened by 300 pound defender is a different thing altogther. If he can still make these types of throws in the pocket then weve got something

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    20 years ago today

• Like Like x 2
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I admit I was against Fields but he could have some of that Mahomes ability. Pass first but if trouble run it. Just like Big Ben in his waning years;)

6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I'm with you. Camp excitement really does not impress me, but his talent is evident. A report from Sat's rain soaked practice said he looked pretty bad, but the whole O did as well. Taking that with a grain of salt, might have dome things that normally would not even be tried on those conditions in regular season, etc. What I do see is a guy who is taking the opportunity given to him, is winning some fans over, but more importantly his teammates seem to love him. You win the locker room, they will work harder with you,

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    And there’s the biggest issue with Justin Fields as an NFL QB so far. Glimpses of “wow” followed by “oh sh!t” moments. It was a nice play, but the QB needs to see the defender there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Honestly the best QB is a hybrid one that can do both like a Maholmes. I see that kind of QB being sought after more than any. I’m all for an athletic QB as long as they can learn to develop field awareness and go through progressions. The College game is and has been migrating to the running QB but they have the advantage of only needing the guy for four years at most. It is a little different in the NFL. For the injury reason alone I still believe there will always be a place for the pocket QB in the NFL. You can still win with the pocket QB with the spread offense and quick precise strikes.

9. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’ll just say this about Fields, I want him to be great and be a Steeler for a long time. Anything negative that I say is me expressing concern and not rooting against him in any way. If he can be a terrific QB for us, the sky is the limit for this team.

Long before we traded for Fields I had said that if we do get him, we should go all in on the running QB approach and find backups who can run that type of offense. Now, at that time we didn’t also have Russell Wilson. I never even envisioned getting both, so right now I think having Allen as the #3 is an excellent choice. If we move forward with Fields in 2025, I think we should reevaluate our QB bench and grab a Tyrod Taylor type of FA and draft a mid round athletic QB who needs further development but has high potential to take over as QB2 in his second season.

11. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It will be interesting if the lightbulb goes on for him and he realizes that its entirely different situation than Chicago. There he was drafted to lead them back into relevance, to be the man. It was he had to make plays and that pressure forces dumb mistakes. He could eventually become the man in Pittsburgh but there are plenty of others to carry the load so don't try to make things happen. Take the 5 yard dump or the 9 yard scramble, move the chains.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  14. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Any news on Cam's condition. Is he back to his old self, with the groin injury completely in the rear-view mirror?

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

Last edited: Aug 4, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's practicing so he's over that groin injury.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Went to training camp today.

J Fields was either the first or second QB to take the field with J Pumlee as the other. They started throwing. Fields doesn't set his feet all the time. Even in the game of pass and catch. Makes me wonder if his feet are the reasons we hear of his varying performance. One thing of note, when he did take the practice field, there was applause from the crowd. When R Wilson took the field, there was no acknowledgement from the crowd. I found that interesting.

R Wilson threw the ball in QB drills, but when there were 7 or more on the play, he maybe had 1 snap - a running play. Perhaps he will not see action in the first game and so his reps were limited, IDK.

Van Jefferson looked good. I saw no lack of effort from Pickens. He had plenty of catches. Conner Heyward was impressive, had a td that the refs called him for OPI. Muth had a nice grab for a td, kept his concentration. Defense did many workouts on the middle and far field, so I paid less attention to them. Did see Queen out there. TJ was on the field but Minka was on the sideline during the one offense vs defense drill.

You could hear Danny Smith doing his thing. Boz wasn't out there today.

They were working with P Wilson. Najee was even coaching him up on one drill.

J Colletto #45 was making his presence known. Is it possible they keep a fullback?

• Like Like x 4
  21. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Matt Williamson said, this morning, that Spencer Anderson has been so good that if the Steelers were to trade James Daniels for a decent return, and plug him in as the starter at RG, he'd be fine with it.

That's really good news.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I typically like Matt Williamson but that is the dumbest, dumb thing to say in camp. Yes the Steelers camp is physical, yes Anderson probably did look on par with Daniels "in camp" but wait for at least a preseason game where you can see how he stacks up at a game level before saying this guy is plug and play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hopefully that lightbulb continues to get brighter once preseason games start. The good vibes we are feeling could shrivel up fast.

The Wilson injury could end up being a blessing in disguise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

WR2

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Thank Tom Arth for that.

Dude has worked with the likes of Justin Herbert. Yes, that Justin Herbert, the one many (myself included) were nervous on given his boom/bust style of play coming out of Oregon?! Herbert's natural talent ended up shining through but make no mistake; Arth had just as much to do with Herbert's sensational 2020 Rookie Campaign just as much as Shane Steichen did.

Now, Arth has to aid Fields in both progressing and improving upon the basics and fundamentals of the position. Remember, Tom Arth was once under Peyton Manning as a backup; a QB who is arguably the greatest fundamentalist and disciplinarian of the position the game has ever seen. Those lessons learned under both Manning and his coaching background have clearly stuck with him.

If Fields is to thrive, Tom Arth is the guy; all the more reason I was ecstatic when the team announced he would be the QB Coach.

• Like Like x 1