1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on the steelers defense in 2024?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jul 16, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He broke down. Ogunjobi could do those things when he was healthy. In the past, he disappeared when he was playing hurt. Unfortunately, he is already in decline, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Thanks Scribe. Sounds like a good rotational option looks like he may be coming off a couple injuries though.

3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I have the same concern. Not certain about our defensive line yet. Need to see Cam return to form. Would really like to see Tomlin commit to putting Benton on the field more than Ogunjobi not just at NT iim three down lineman sets. Part of my concern here is our defense schematically is vastly different than what it used to be in the Lebeau days as far as stopping the run and what we ask our Defensive lineman to do. Because there is such an emphasis on passing and spread offenses and RPO’s etc. the NT and three down lineman sets are very rare now because you need that extra Defensive back on the field. The problem is on top of usually only playing two down lineman we no longer ask our Defensive lineman to gap contain or occupy multiple blockers. Our Defensive Lineman are basically asked to penetrate a gap and get after the QB. The ILB is supposed to take the other gap, the problem is now the Offensive lineman often have a free shot on our inside linebackers and with inside linebackers today being built for pass coverage it is often a mismatch to ask them to shed a block and make the run stop without giving up four or five yards a run. This is why I would at minimum really like to see our scheme stress the defensive lineman being more two gap contain and occupy multiple blockers and push the pocket so the QB can’t step up and away from the edge players. I really am not interested in our defensive lineman penetrating gaps and everyone in awhile guessing right and making a sack or tackle for loss. Early on in Cam’s career he didn’t have alot of sacks, and they like to point out that it was because he was young and hadn’t developed yet. I disagree. He was in a different defense back then and they were ask him to two gap and occupy blockers. As Tomlin took over the defense more that all changed and they no longer were asking the Defensive lineman two gap. That is why you saw Cam’s sack total go up. For some reason Tomlin is enamored with the smaller quicker one gap penetrating defensive lineman ever since he coached Warren Sapp in Tamapa. I really think you do a disservice to the Edge players and especially the ILB’s when you aren’t two gapping it with the big boys inside. I think it is even more imperative when you are playing with two down lineman like we most often do.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    The Heyward situation is slightly irritating to me. I understand he wants to get paid, but it is risky on the Steelers part to commit to him long term until they are confident he can still perform at a high level and without reoccurring injury. I want him long term if he is healthy and productive but I don’t want to break the bank for him. I am a little perplexed at this point in his career that playoffs and winning aren’t above making top dollar for him. I am not saying they aren’t but it appears he still is angling to get as much money as possible. I will never understand the greed. You have made more than enough money to set you and your kids up for life... when is enough , enough? You have a great legacy here on and off the field with alot of stuff going on outside of football. Is it really worth it to go elsewhere for a few extra million a year or even worse prevent the team from being stronger in other areas just to fill your own pocket book? Which is it setting the team up for success and taking less so they can sign others or is it all about you?

• Like Like x 3
  5. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Yeah I was uncomfortable when they resigned him to an extension especially for the amount that we did. I know there weren’t alot of options but it just seemed a little desperate on us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The yards stat was pretty much a direct correlation to being 21st in 3rd down conversion percentage. We fix that stat and we should be in better shape regarding yards allowed. We were 6th in red zone defense, so as long as that doesn't regress substantially at the same time, I would be surprised to see us give up more points than last year. A better offense at all will help immensely as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am excited about seeing Beanie Bishop and Dashawn Elliot.Would like to move on
    from leal and Lowdermilk

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Defense Making Changes

The Steelers are making some tweaks, too. For one, they ran a three-outside linebacker set with Nick Herbig, Alex Highsmith, and T.J. Watt on the field. It was deployed in the red zone and third-downs. That presents multiple options for what they want to do with blitzes, and Herbig looked comfortable off-ball.

In addition, Cory Trice was the dime backer in these sets and seemed to be getting more comfortable as he played more in the defense. But Trice has never played dime backer before, and Ryan Watts is the top backup at the spot. It seems like this is the body type the Steelers are looking for at dime backer.

Last but not least, Cam Sutton is playing safety. It is not like the dime backer hybrid that he has occupied in the past, but he played as a true safety in addition to his work in the nickel. The Steelers seem to be looking to use Sutton more versatilely and add true safety skills to his resume. This is a solid way to do that, especially as Beanie Bishop and Grayland Arnold battle it out in the slot.

Steelers Training Camp Thoughts: Top WRs dazzle, defense making big changes - pennlive.com

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Friday night lights tonight, will see real
    hitting tonight. Weather should be good,
    probably see 10-15 K fans their tonight.Mr. Queen say hello to Jaylen
    with back on backers.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2024
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Leal has looked good in camp per the media, the depth isn't great so both of them might make the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes that is what I am reading, I will see it in person Tuesday next week going to practice. I will also be watching db's and receiving core.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Might be a bit of a concern in certain areas:

D Line: Aging vets in Heyward and Ogunjobi, development has not been positive (Leal and Milkman) a solid draft pick in Benton. Adams is just a rotational piece at this point. This is a looking like a possible liability especially if there are injuries.

Linebackers: OLBers very solid, major upgraded ILBer room. The strength of the defense at this point.

Safeties: Who will be the starting SS? Need Fitzpatrick roaming the field. A bit of concern.

Corners: Sans Porter JR and Jackson coming on to take the other outside corner spot who will the slot corner be until Sutton gets back? Neutral as this point.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Biggest concern?! Age; namely in the form of TJ Watt and Cameron Heyward.

I am not overly concerned about depth anymore at EDGE. IDL?! Different story. If DeMarvin Leal can finally showcase something, literally something, that would alleviate my concerns a big deal.

15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

With the Queen signing and perhaps Peyton Wilson getting in on some action I like our coverage. Stopping the run likely wont be much of an issue. The defense will not have to do as much as last year because of our improved offense ( BA signing ) Ok yeah that is presumptious. I think even if BA does not get signed we still have a better QB and a better offense with AS as OC. Defense does not have to be stellar. AVerage will get us the AFC North division

16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    You're right. Cam is not staying healthy. father time is never wrong.

17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I was at practice Tuesday, Cam was helping coaching up Adams
    on the second field where defense goes to do fundamentals. I had my binoculars
    On them and Cam was coaching him up hard. It was refreshing seeing Cam being so
    great of teammate. Also saw Minka coaching up
    Db's with their footwork Really enjoyed
    These experienced players mentoring their younger teammates.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Total domination by the defense especially in the second half...The Falcons could not move the ball in the second half

• Like Like x 1
  19. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Looked damn good today. Had to play against the refs too. The TD was a breakdown but honestly should have been a strip sack play before anyways.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1