1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2024 steelers training camp

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jul 25, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

There are firsts for everything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I
    I thought he was on our practice squad?

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I
    Your full of ****,go back and look

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah, but there's been so few of them that it is hard to say that it "isn't possible". Hurts came really close. It is going to happen since more and more QB's are going to be like Fields and less like the normal "pocket passer" of old. Why not Fields. Its a team game anyways.... that and a little luck of course.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Different player. Maybe Fields doesnt choke in the playoffs?

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The talking heads are having a "field" day talking about how Fields is overtaking Wilson.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The Steelers surprised us at the QB position in March even if they were the favorite for Wilson and Fields(true that no one expected both!), so who knows?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I can't believe after what happened after last years camp and preseason, that people are buying into QB hype from Fields. Steelers offense looked awesome throughout August. 49ers arrived and the offense folded like a cheap tent. I don't care that we have a new OC and 2 new QBs. Unless it provides consistent results.... Steelers are gonna struggle against the better teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Can't argue with that but hope springs eternal. All the talking head BS is fun to read and does get me a bit fired up.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This...the banter being thrown around does not move me at all. It's a very young line, one QB who has a past needs to show he still has something, the other who has loads of athletic ability needs to show he can put it together and produce consistently. My algorithm brings in different chatter from different teams, all of them have the O as being perfect in drills, blah blah. Wait and see, that's the only waty to take this all in.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    I agree 100% with you but my point it was that the steelers surprise us in march at the QB position and I still expect that Wilson will be our QB in week 1 if he is healthy and ready but this is not 100% impossible the steelers choose Fields

Also,Fields had some struggle in the first 4 days of the camp before yesterday!

14. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Drama!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, but that’s one hell of a big “if.”

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    let the controversy begin Fields or Wilson just what we need:rolleyes:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I've seen both QBs play for other teams. Wilson will provide better results, IMHO. I hope Fields can prove me wrong, but he looks like a career backup to me. Nothing wrong with career backups.... we've had some good ones over the years. Tomczak, Batch and Leftwich are examples.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    People act like running Qbs just started. You hear this every 20 years.....the new style.....LoL.
    I can't remember there not being any. It always comes down to facing great Ds in the playoffs.....that say....we are taking the run away.....so if You can beat us withYour arm.....do it, and they haven't been able. Because they never had to learn to actually read a D. I've seen this style all the way from pop to college. The coaches just want to win....they don't care about the kids future. Look Here.....if its not there.....run....all the way to college, and then its...look here, and here....if its not there....run.....NFL....now I need You to read this D , and throw people open, and people expect them to all of a sudden learn. I've only seen two Qb be able to learn, and stop the two read, and run mentality. Steve McNair, and Steve Young. Maybe You have to be named Steve. The rest never grasp it. He Mike Vick still couldn't read a D 10 years after the fact.....just this last AFC Championship....how many times did You see a guy open, and Lamar Jackson never seen them???
    See Mahomes is perfect He's a guy that can actually beat You from the pocket with His arm, but he runs just enough that You must respect it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The thing we have more very good running QB who is able to pass now in the NFL....Who can do both.....20 years ago,Vick was a mediocre passer in Atlanta,same thing for Kordell with us.McNabb and McNair later in his career were able to do both but it was about it. This is such a great luxury when a QB can do both.The NFL has evolved since then....Of course,I don't want a QB to be mediocre passer and this is likely Fields is a mediocre passer.

And I know about Randall Cunningham but he was the only true first run QB when he was with the eagles....at least the only good true one in the NFL in the late 1980s,early 1990s

20. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    seems harsh. :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    A. Manning, F. Tarkenton, B. Douglas, T. Rote, D. Culpepper, W. Moon, and So On......the list goes back to the 50....I remember them from the 70s.....this is 2024. This is not a new thing like they try to say...., and they all could throw. Fields can throw....Vick could throw....Lamar can throw.....it's the whole reading the Defense, and seeing who's open, who's not, and throw it accurately in a small amount of time. Almost any Qb that's in college can point to the chalk board, and read a Defense, and tell where to go.....it's a whole other thing....in real time , under real pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I understand your man crush on Mahones. But I understand. He is ALWAYS looking downfield even as he scrambles to the line of scrimmage. Unless it's a designed run. Mahones would seem to blend the two successfully. Ok now I have to go wash my hands!!!!!!

23. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Vick was a very mediocre passer during his time in Atlanta....He was below average.Lamar is above average as passer,in the regular season at least.Of course the coaching staff in Atlanta from 2004-2006 was very poor and he was much better in 2010 under Andy Reid but he was old at that point

And you're right, the NFL has always had mobile QBs but it's just since Newton and Jackson after him, it's the coaches who use their QB's leg as an asset more than ever...Before, coaches wanted their mobile QB to run as little as possible but now, they have no problem seeing their running QB have 10-15 runs or more in a game, especially in a big game(I mean,even Mahomes run more often in the playoffs even if he is not a run first QB)...I'm sure Kordell Stewart would be better in this era with a good coaching staff

24. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Cunningham was an immobile statue when he was at his best with the Vikings.

25. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    This is the reason why I said when he was with the eagles!

And it did not help Cunningham with the eagles that Bubby Ryan did not know one thing about the offense!