1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jaylen Warren cracks top 20 list.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 24, 2024.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It was one game. When it becomes a pattern then it will be a big deal.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    In the last two games last season Najee had over 25 carries with 100 yards rushing in each game, eight carries a game is good enough for Warren.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Oh so you freely admit that Your example only applies to Najee????
    Got ya:thumbs_up:

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's funny....I do agree I argue a lot, but what's funny is how You will see people pointing it out on others....yet they do it themselves, and believe Me You do it quite often. Hell Your still arguing about something I specifically asked where the lie was, and instead of answering that....you just keep arguing. I don't know about You , but if I can't find the lie....I tend to stop.
    So I will try again...
    I Love Warren.....I have never once said He was fumble prone.....what I said was.....in 600 less carries than Najee he has the same amount of fumbles.....where is the lie???
    I believe He is great, but I don't think He is a rb that can be Your workhorse, and Your number 1 Rb must be this....because if the the guys You share the work load with aren't very good, or get hurt .....You can be in trouble......We know Najee can do it.....We've seen it....all we can do is guess about Warren....., and everyone that says He can is only guessing.....there is only one RB on this team We know for a fact can, and that's Najee......Now where is the incorrect statement in all this???

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is dishonest to present the average per touch as if they got there the same way. Backs are going to average more yards per touch on pass receptions than they will on rushing attempts. You should know that, but just in case, I will provide the statistical evidence to demonstrate it for you. Harris averaged 1.8 yards more on pass receptions than rushing attempts. Warren averaged 0.8 yards more on pass receptions than he did on rushing attempts. Those may not seem like huge numbers, but they add up to a significant difference. Because Harris is the lead back and Warren is the third-down back, a much higher percentage of Warren's touches came on receptions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It doesn't mean he has ball security issues, but it does mean he isn't as good at ball security as Harris. In a comparison of the two, that is a significant factor in Harris's favor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Harris is better at securing the ball when it isn't raining, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How many runs of over 20 yards did Warren have in 2023? How many did Harris have?

Sure, Warren hit that one long home run against the Browns, but that's the only one like it in a regular season game and it's not as if he hasn't had opportunities.

9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Jaylen Warren went over a hundred twice last year too.... Same as Najee. Warren (or really a pretty good number of mediocre or better NFL RB's) could gain 100 yards a game if he was given 25 carries as well. It really isn't that difficult if your OL is even halfway decent at run blocking. I'm not even saying to make Warren a 25 carry a game guy. He just needs to get more touches. He is simply too good to not be getting more and the guy they have in front of him isn't good enough to warrant not giving Jaylen the opportunity. That is it.

I understand they give Warren over 3.5 catches a game, but a lot of those were just dump offs/check downs due to the fact that our QB was highly limited the last two years... I get that Jaylen is exceptional in space and is both elusive and led the NFL in broken tackles per touch, but I want to see how well he performs if he is given an opportunity to get a rhythm and get into the flow of the game. Najee Harris is wildly mediocre and with the Steelers making it pretty clear that 2024 is Najee's last in our uniform, we should give it a try.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    That is both true and fine. Jaylen Warren is better at gaining yards when getting carries from the RB position. I'd like to see him get more of an opportunity.

11. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    We don't know if Warren can be that guy because he has never been given a chance to prove it. My argument is that we should give him a bit more opportunity. We know Harris can because we've pretty much force fed him the ball for his career. The only problem is that Harris is just not particularly good at it. He certainly isn't so good that we couldn't give Warren a chance to prove it.

Remember there was a 4 game stretch where Warren got more bulk carries last year? It was TEN, GB, @Cle, @Cin. Those game logs saw him get 48 carries for 367 yards and 2 TD's. Really solid numbers. Idk. It's just weird to me. Its all a moot point anyways. Warren will be sharing the backfield with someone other than Harris in 2025.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Warren has never carried the ball 25 times in an NFL game, so we don't know that he can handle that workload. Also, Harris is the better back. He has proven he can take a heavier workload. He has proven he protects the ball better. He has proven to be more consistent in picking up the blitz. It is delusional to think he would still be starting and taking on the heaviest workload late last season if he wasn't the better back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is better at gaining yards in certain situations. It's the advantage of being No. 2. STD has pointed this out many times, but y'all stick your head in the sand on that one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    They're vastly different backs.

Harris' pros are that he is durable, can run with power when he gets a running start, and he can shoulder a lot of carries. His cons are that he has no burst (which requires the line to win longer at the LOS and essentially negates all his power until he gets a yard or two past the LOS), his vision is poor, he isn't particularly good in space, and he doesn't have the speed to break runs. It just doesn't add up to a particularly successful back in today's NFL.

Warrens pros are that he is explosive, has great vision, he is elusive, runs with power, and has the ability to break big runs for long TD's. His cons are that he fumbles in the rain and he is just a smaller human being than Najee. This just seems to be what you'd want to see in today's game.

Like, I don't make the decisions but it seems like an easy one. It would have been more frustrating had they paid Harris, but with them seemingly being ready to move on from him after 2024 maybe we will get to see what Warren has sooner rather than later? Idk.

15. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I've refuted this claim with actual evidence multiple times now. You choosing to ignore it is your prerogative, but I'm not going to take the time to prove this again (for a third time). Warren isn't getting long garbage yards on 3rd and long. He's putting in the work on first and second down in pretty obvious running situations and in pretty obvious running formations. Its a tired narrative and factually false. Nothing more is needed to be said there.

As for the 25 carries, yeah we haven't given him the opportunity to take it. I'm not even calling for it. He just needs to be getting more than 8, and he should be getting more than Harris. 15-17 carries per game with 4-5 catches a game would be an excellent workload for Warren and certainly one that he should be able to shoulder with his size/frame.

It is an opinion that Harris is a "better" back. One would think that because Harris was getting the workload late in the year that he would be better, but after watching us keep Canada on for 3 years and put Pickett and Trubisky ahead of Rudolph. Idk. Tomlin has been known to have some suspect personnel decisions in his day as well. At least the FO hasn't seen enough from Najee to consider keeping him around so that might not be as true as you think. Who knows until a decision is made I guess.

16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Last couple seasons, I think defensive coordinators planned to set up to stuff Harris as their highest priority and dared us to throw. So, my concern is maybe without Harris they switch to stopping the pass first.

In other words, I would like to see a season where defenses have to fear Harris running the ball the same time where they fear Wilson throwing. I think Harris`s stats were depressed by lack of fear of us throwing the ball as they keyed on stopping him. Also, I don`t know if Warren would have done better than Harris if we did not have Harris.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Despite not getting much from the passing game, a line that couldn't get its act together until the second half of the season, and having to share carries, Harris was seventh in the NFL in rushing and averaged over four yards per carry. That is a successful back in today's NFL.

Y'all need to stop with this idea that Harris is only better at holding on to the ball in bad weather. He is better in all conditions. It's just that Warren was so shaky in that game in Baltimore that he became nearly useless. Luckily for the Steelers, Harris took on the load when it mattered most, something he has done the last two seasons.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    so what? Yards are yards. Warren had more yards per carry and more yards per reception. It's very simple. Warren's senior season at Oklahoma State he had as many carries 256 than najee did here last year. no it wasn't in the NFL but it does show he has done it on a high level. So he has carried the load for a season. Again, it doesn't matter how they get the yards. We have 3 capable rbs.:cool:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2024 at 4:34 AM
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, I’ve been trying to make this point to STD, unsuccessfully.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Fields being the 3rd?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no. :lolol::cool:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2024 at 4:35 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  22. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I would think that if you are removing Jaylens worst game, wouldnt you have to do the same for Najee? I mean your comparison with Jaylens worst game removed is now apples to oranges, remove Najee's worst game and we may get back to apples to apples, but there is still the amount of carries per fumble. Even if you take out Jaylens worst game and then average it out over his next 600 carriers, we are still looking at 6 more fumbles, thats over twice as many as what Najee has had. There is no way to predict the future, thats why there are averages and predictions and evaluations that may or may not be accurate, but these guys get paid rather well based on past performance and are expected to continue at that rate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You should have stopped at "no, it wasn't the NFL..." Doing something at the college level is not evidence that the player can do it in the NFL.

How they got those touches is relevant when comparing the average yards per touch. I explained why and backed it up with relevant evidence. You asked what was dishonest in your post and I demonstrated why it was misleading. This is where a poster with integrity would acknowledge that point. I'm certain you will do so. Thank you.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You didn't prove it the first or second time. I'll take your word for it that you made the argument. I remember somebody arguing the point with him, but I did not see compelling evidence in that argument. That narrative is not factually false. It is your opinion that is false, one that you supported in a way that was overly simplistic at best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I don't know if Warren is better than Harris. I will say I think they are pretty much even though, except for pass protection where Harris is clearly better. This may not matter as much in Arthur Smith's offense since he uses 2 TEs so much. I understand not picking up Harris' 5th year option, but would have been fine if they had as well. I don't think there's a big enough gap between the 2 RBs to overpay for 1.

• Like Like x 1