1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The current WR Situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, May 6, 2024.

1. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Not really relevant to his point.

There's no arguing that barring a trade acquisition this year's team is going in thin at WR and will be relying on production from guys who have yet to do so (or do so reliably) in the NFL. They need to replace 51/717/5 from Johnson last year, another 34/280 from Robinson. It's a challenge, but not Herculean.

Still, something feels off with this room. It doesn't feel like their plan was to go into the season riding Pickens, a rookie, and a few Page Three guys. I feel like a trade will happen in the coming weeks. I just don't see the FO wanting to ride the amount of youth and inexperience at the position, especially with the state of flux they're currently looking at next year at QB and, with the decline of Harris' easily-affordable fifth-year option, RB.

2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    To put the #1 on Pickens could backfire without additional vet help I will agree. They have a promising rookie in Wilson, Austin III who needs to take a step up and a bunch of just guys.

I understand why they let Johnson go but you also have lost a lot of production.

The receiver market has gone crazy really putting them as the 2nd highest paid behind the QB's. The Jefferson deal has now set the new bar and it's only going up from there. Doesn't bod well with the way the Steelers do business. The Aiyuk rumor mill is all but dead I feel at this point. He is going to command a large contract. And its the guaranteed money that's the killer. Wait until Chase and Lamb want deals :eek:

They will get a vet somewhere but at their price to hopefully be the #2. But at this point who knows who it will be. And are they comfortable with the room as it stands?

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is relevant to his point. He presented 2005 as an example of how a similar situation can work, but Ward was a more established No. 1 than Pickens is now and they don't have a veteran No. 2 as good as Randle El was then.

That said, I think we agree overall that the receiver room seems to thin, especially so for a team that seems to be built to win now.

4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

the roster is not fully built - as you can see every day.

patience is a virtue - sit tight.

;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I have stated multiple times that I am commenting on the roster as things stand. Of course, that changes if the team makes another move.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Don’t have any stats to back this up but it looked to me that Smiths offense doesn’t run through star players, he’ll focus on whoever he thinks has the best matchups. Thats why so many got upset with him for his use of Bijan, Pitts and London.

Maybe thats why they feel good with this collection of WR’s. That could backfire with Pickens if he’s not getting enough use. Muth is going to see a big increase in usage. Smith uses a lot of two WR sets with two TE’s and 1 TE with two RB’s.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    No, it really wasn't. Maybe you didn't understand his point, maybe you're skipping it with intention so there's something to be argued about. I'm honestly not that interested in which it is, but more in the poster's overall point and general thoughts on what the team will be doing if this is indeed the group at the start of the season.

I don't need to have an argument over what Ward and Randle El represented on paper in '05 versus Pickens, et al. in 2024 to know the current group is less proven. I don't think Heinz does either. They have what they have. A more compelling discussion can be had over what they plan on doing with whatever pieces they do have once the season starts.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Unless Pickens has grown up a helluva alot since the season ended, which I have my
    doubts, old MT will be living a nightmare all over again.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I get that, and given the sets Smith runs think we're unlikely to see the kind of WR depth we did in more recent times. That said, I don't think they need to add a star-level WR, but a solid-producing vet they could lean on would be a nice compliment to the youth dynamic they have filling the rest of the room. I think having at least two viable threats at WR desirable in today's game. Riding with the current group definitely leaves some question marks heading into the season.

And while I don't necessarily think that was part of the plan, it would seem they set up a similar situation next year by declining Harris' option. To your point, Smith didn't show a reliance on a single back last year. Robinson, listed the starter for 16 games, accounted for 41% of the rushing attempts, while Algeier notched 36%. I understand the current NFL mindset of RBs being more fungible than they were 25 years ago, but Harris is a solid back that doesn't turn the ball over, is an effective receiver, and compliments Warren well. The $7M was easily affordable, yet they passed. Combine that with potential offseason needs at QB, DL, and CB and it's a curious decision.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m still hoping for Courtland Sutton.

11. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Going to be interesting with Pickens, esp if he isnt targeted enough for his liking. Will we see a repeat of AB walking off field in middle of game with Pickens?

12. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    This will never ever happen. Payton will cockblock the hell out of this situation due to his relationship with Russ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I still dont trust Pickens maturity level. I do think he has the talent to succeed tho but in saying that is he another train wreck?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, it really was. He made the comparison between 2024 and 2005, so the fact that Ward and Randel El were better options going into 2005 than Pickens and any other veteran on the current team is relevant to the discussion. I'm honestly not interested in why you offered that misguided critique of my post, but it is misguided.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Curious is a kind way to put it. I prefer foolish.

16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I still believe it was Najee that told the Steelers not to pick up his 5th year option.

I believe this report that says Najee didn't want to play under his 5th year option. AKA... Najee wants more than $7 million to play for the Steelers. I am assuming he wants what Barkley and King Henry are making.
    PLAYER FROM TO DEAL
    Saquon Barkley NYG PHI 3 yr/$37.5M
    Derrick Henry TEN BAL 2 yrs/$16M
    Josh Jacobs LV GB 4 yrs/$48M

Although, I don't believe he told the Steelers he wanted to play somewhere else. But then again, I don't know exactly why Najee went from being a team captain in 2022 to not a captain in 2023.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...o-decline-fifth-year-option-jaylen-warren-nfl
    According to Paul Zeise of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Harris asked the Steelers to decline his fifth-year option, as he would like to play elsewhere once his contract is up.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    So in agreement. I'm sure we both hope he matures. He has the skills. IMO he is a problem and I wish we had a different #1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Why would he care? He got what he want, Russ out of Denver. I don’t think he cares about anything else now.

19. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Very bad blood there, called a grudge.

20. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Wow! But this is no longer surprising as it once was. A few recent players couldnt wait to leave the Steelers organization. Times have changed.
    But, Parsons recently said he would like to play for Tomln. Go figure.

21. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Productive discourse requires the ability to consider and understand another's point of view. You struggle with this, just as you do in staying away from passive aggressive barbs in your responses, which is another detractor.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I know what a grudge is I just think it’s really far fetched. Denver will never do business again with the Steelers as long as Wilson is there?

If they believe what they get from the Steelers will make them a better team they will do it. Lot better chance at getting him than Aiyuk or Samuels.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I wasn’t trying to be a wise guy, by no means. There have been numerous articles out there stating that Payton will do nothing to benefit Russ.
    No, it doesn’t mean Denver wont ever do business with the Steelers. While Payton is there he is not going to go quietly about giving Russ anything.
    Russ isnt a very popular guy. Would be nice to get Deebo, from South Carolina, but I agree with you about us not having much of a shot.

24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Because of his Legacy. Sean Payton threw Nathaniel Hackett under the bus for his coaching of Rusell Wilson when he joined Denver. A year later Sean Payton is claiming the problems in the offense was all Russell's.

Sean Payton said he had no problem pay Russ $85 million to go away.

Sean Payton's greatest fear for 2024 is Russell Wilson winning comeback player of the year!

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Najee's agent said that wasn't true, he's not getting a Barkley type of deal from the Steelers.