1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The current WR Situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, May 6, 2024.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    A couple years ago dk mentioned juju would have his knee drained before every game. Also said juju refused to get it fixed surgically

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Listening to daily shot of Steelers this morning and he made an interesting point. Basically wondering if WR were becoming fungible like running backs. You can pick up quality wide receivers throughout the draft so there’s no reason to be paying them 30 million a year. Pay Diontae a kings ransom in 2025 or grab a guy like Roman Wilson in the third and pay him a fraction of that? If they do truly become fungible then Kahn is ahead of the game already. You’ll have a bunch of teams stuck with asinine contracts and the Steelers sitting pretty

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Steelers sitting pretty with no #2 WR on the roster!!!!

Is this supposed to be funny or in green text?

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Fungible. Now that's a word I haven't heard in a long time. A long time.

5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

W-I-L-S-O-N

you heard it here - apparently, first!!

6. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    You're
    You're right that LB we got in the 4th is well past his prime as well. Acl and shoulder issues.

7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I don’t see why Wilson can’t quickly develop into WR2. The question is if Pickens can assume the WR1 role. Talented yes but does he have everything

8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Too many syllables

9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Brice, stick to physicals or the lack thereof

10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What do you think makes Brock Purdy look so good? His skill as a top QB, or the fact that he is throwing the ball to 4 pro bowl Receivers? (Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittles, and McCaffrey) Hell I think Kenny Pickett would be a Pro Bowler throwing the ball to those guys.

And, the 49ers just used a 1st round draft pick to bring in another WR. Don't try to sell me this garbage that WR talent is no longer important.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Again, stick to physicals or the lack thereof. I never said wr talent wasn’t important.

12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We have Pickens, Muth, Washington, 2 stud RB's (Warren, w hands) and Wilson

Brock has Shanahan.

We don't.

Pickett sucks

13. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What? And you think this is comparable to Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittles, McCaffrey, and now 1st round draft pick Ricky Pearsall?

15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I get you now. You are not saying this, you are just reposting it.

You would have to be a complete idiot to say something like "Basically wondering if WR were becoming fungible like running backs." the day after Justin Jefferson signs a $140 million, $35 million per year contract with $110 million guaranteed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Jesus tap dancing christ. No you don’t get it. Fungible means easily replaced. Pay Jefferson 35 million dollars a year for 1400 yards and rough;y 7 td or someone like Nacua 1.5 million for 1400 yards and 6 td? It’s not that hard to wrap your head around

17. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Those who think that the market between the WR and RB will become the same,I don't know what to said....I mean before today the market at the RB position was around the same since 2018.....The highest paid WR in the NFL back in 2018 was OBJ at 18 millions per year,it was at 30 millions in 2022,now this is at 35 millions per year

18. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    very rare you can draft a stud in the 5th round no matter the position.....and big difference doing this in one year vs doing this year after year like Jefferson since he is in the NFL

19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I don't think anyone said WR talent is no longer important, just that the amount of guys entering the league with decent talent at that position makes the transition from 30 million guy easier. You did hit on a valid point, Brock is surrounded by all star talent, thus signing Jefferson to that huge deal with a rookie possibly starting and Addison on the cheap for a couple more years makes perfect sense. the 9'ers drafting a 1st round WR makes sense, simply because they cannot pay all those guys, plus Purdy. Miami is similar, paid Waddle, Hill is reportedly already crying for a new deal, and they have to decide of their QB. The Steelers will have to decide on spending money on O in the near future, if GP excels and they want to keep him it won't come with a discount. It's all part of the business, but finding and developing talent is and always has been the standard for a team wanting to stay in contention.

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Never said it was easy. It’s an interesting idea. Year after year wr drafted in lower rounds are producing. You can similar production for a fraction of the cost. It makes sense. Will it happen? Nobody knows, but teams will start getting burned by these contracts. When that happens the market will fall

21. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    It's easier to give your WR a big contract when your QB is on a rookie contract or is on a cheap contract....Also if you have Mahomes as a QB, you just need WRs who are competent, so no need to pay a big price for a WR

But if you are in a situation like Miami or 49ers right now, decisions need to be made, you can't pay everyone in the passing game....

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I forget the stats I heard before the draft, but many 1st round WR never truly develop, the key is development and the right staff at the right time. the Chiefs could move off Hill simply because Mahomes is that good, the Vikes keeping Jefferson with a cheap (for now) Addison and a rookie QB makes perfect sense. The Cowboy's keeping a top edge and top WR makes sense, keeping them and Dak will be nearly impossible. I would choose the first two and find another option at QB. That's an issue many GM's are facing as the talent emerges, you cannot keep them all.

23. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    yeah, I don't disagree with that....if you have a great QB and you're good at finding receivers in the draft, no need to pay a crazy price for that, especially now that the WR market has completely exploded in the last 5 years

24. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  25. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Sounds like something that might grow on your foot.