1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2024 Pittsburgh Pirates

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by steel machine, Feb 28, 2024.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Starting pitching with crap behind it. I followed it on a Pirate message board and the feeling was just like here, bullpen scares the sh!t out of Buc fans.

Not gonna happen but if that guy that owns them would just take some of that revenue money and grab 1 reliever who I can watch with eyes open and 2 decent bats they would be more enjoyable to follow. I'm not greedy either I'll take a first baseman who can hit .240 - .250. Maybe hit a HR once in awhile too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    it might not even take much money to solve the issues. For relief pitchers, WHIP is the better measurement of effectiveness, since they often come in to games with runners on, and allow the previous pitcher’s runners to score without affecting their own ERA. Chapman is awful, WHIP above 1.8. He needs to be used less. Maybe he can figure it out and still pitch. Maybe not. Holderman is much more effective (admittedly in a small sample), and maybe should be doing some of what Chapman is being used for, though he is a righty. Just weed out the ineffective relief pitchers. Send them down if they have options. If not, DFA them. They are doing you no favors as it is. You don’t save money by keeping them, it is a sunk cost.
    Bring Lamb up from AAA and stick him at first. He is hitting the **** out of the ball in Indy. I know he is 32, but you have him already. Older guys who have been stuck in the minors have been known to perform well when called up (I call it the Al Pedrique effect). Trade Tellez and offer to eat half his contract. Maybe someone will bite on that.
    Note: Brady Feigl (LHP) has more than one K per inning pitched and a WHIP of 0.92 at Indy. He is better that what ya got in the Burgh, until he proves he is not.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    We have no one batting .300. Our best hitter is at .273

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    .250 is the new .300. Mendoza line dropped to .150 when CA raised min wage to $20/hr for unskilled fast food workers which means those with 2 weeks experience now are making $25/hr. :rolleyes:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Hey Desert, is that true. Cali minimum wage 20.00??? New Jersey is 15.00 but most offer more to get the help. I know 3-4 guys with summer businesses (we are a vacation spot for Philly people) and they were forced to raise their prices to pay that higher minimum wage. I bet Cali got some high priced stuff.

6. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    We are headed to a have and have not society, rich and poor. We won't be around to see it get worse but something is going to break for sure.

My State 15.00 minimum wage. 40 hour week that is $600.00 before deductions. I know good young people starting families and most are forced to work two jobs. When a 1 bedroom, 1 bath 70 year old piece of sh!t house rents for 1300.00 a month something just ain't right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Yep, started April 1 this year. It's created a tidal wave of repercussions not the least is the laying off of 1000's of fast food workers who were supposed to be the benefactors of this Law, the Law of unintended consequences. The layoffs are how franchises are trying to cope with this Law, minimize price hikes and still semi-maintain decent levels of service to customers. Next stop - I Robot!

Last edited: May 28, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    No doubt on all points you make. But, and a very big but, isn't life about taking responsibility and learning how to do something meaningful and rewarding. Minimum wage was never intended to support raising a family and should not be the standard for doing so IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Everyone do your Argentinian Rain Dance. Bucs up 3-1 over Braves in bottom of 5th with a rain delay. It's already an official game at this stage and Keller is still in with no need for the dreadful bullpen. Afraid if it's a long delay - Keller will be out and then the bullpen. Come on - seed those clouds! :thumbs up:

10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    BULLPEN IS IN TO SAVE THE DAY!!!!!!!

11. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    C'mon rain!!!!

12. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Our bullpen gave up zero runs!! We're on our way

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    This all day long. We were taught young to learn something and to work hard. Dont settle for minimum wage. I never worked a minimum wage job.
    Cant blame this on the rich. Have some pride and responsibility.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    A three run lead in the bottom of the 9th. Another toenail biter. Bednar somehow held them. I don’t know how.
    On the plus side, Holderman pitched very well. And the starter, Keller, did fine.
    I did find myself hoping they would call the game after five so the bullpen would be kept off the mound.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    The Pirates are going to make it to the playoffs this year!!!!!!! COME AT ME!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    HAHAHA!!!! Hit two grand slams in back to back games at home and lose both games. Turn around and beat a good team two in a row.

This team does seem to have MLB pitching but need a lot more to sniff .500.

17. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Bucs like my Golf game, very inconsistent.

Maybe Bobby boy will make a few moves at the trade deadline and I don't mean a salary dump.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  18. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm sure you figured out we are not all the same. Your point is valid but you know as well as I do for millions of humans it just don't work that way. Not everyone gets a College education and there are only so many great paying blue collar jobs.

Which brings me back to my point. A child born today is going to have to make 100 dollars an hour to have what I have. As I said before, something is going to break and it ain't going to be pretty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    My former neighbor way back who was one of the head Imagineers with Disney and oversaw many of their top animations told me they don't hire college grads no matter their major. They preferred young kids who learned coding and CGI stuff on their own in their parents garages and basements. The main takeaway from college is not the material you learn (that becomes stale very quickly in this day and age) but rather the skills and desire to learn more adapting to change. This is where I believe lower level education fails society - they don't teach much that is practical, just stuff that's probably already outdated in dusty old text books. The basics of reading, writing, arithmetic will always be needed to survive in this world but the social stuff being shoved down their throats - meh. Of course parents or a parent aren't off the hook either. Assuming they have their sh*t remotely under control, they should be teaching their kids practical stuff like responsibility and time and fiscal management. I know, I know - all easier said than done but IMO society should not be responsible for bailing out stupidity or laziness. Calamity, health and other unfortunate things, perhaps but not the former. I'll let myself out.

Last edited: May 26, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Welcome back bullpen! 7 runs given up today! Thats the bullpen we have known to hate.
    Chapman, no sense even giving him attention by evening mentioning his name.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    How is it people cant live off minimum wage as a family, but people who have 4 kids, that I personally know can make it off welfare? You dont need college never have esp today as it is a joke.
    Hard work and the desire to learn is really the way to go. Not many want to do that today. This is the age of entitlement.
    My friend I respect your opinions, not saying I am right and you are wrong. I just dont think you pay everyone a million dollars a hour.
    Let’s go Bucs!

22. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Well put my friend! My whole point is that those who don't have the ability to keep up is growing and I'm convinced we will need the National Guard on our streets one day because they will get real PO'd at the haves one day. The gap between rich and poor is growing. I also know a lot of the younger generation are keeping their heads above water because of us baby boomers. All but one guy I golf with within my age group has to give money to their family or in-laws. As for me we pay the freaking rent for an in-law.

"Let them eat cake"

23. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Me n wife doing same for her daughter. Married and 4 kids.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have never worked a minimum wage job either.....but there was a time in America when one person could work, buy a house, and raise a family....that is not the case as much anymore....unless You want to go into debt that You can never repay.....now I know some people like that.., and they say they don't care because they won't have to pay it.
    It's simple. Just look at what just food at a grocery store has went up in the last 3 years. Now figure out that percentage. Is everyone getting that same percentage raise every year????....., and I'm just talking about food.

25. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    My son says he's going to put me on a flop house

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2