1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Heyward does not plan to attend OTAs as he seeks a contract extension.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 15, 2024.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    A mere 16 million. They still have 22,406.250 to account for. So your right. $115,582,735 in career earnings.

I still say let it ride for the season and bid him further adu. You can't open the vault for an aging player. They can find a FA as well as the draft in 2025.

Hopefully Lawry can step in and be solid this season.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There are other players they could extend, too, but I'm not necessarily advocating any of it. I'm just saying that would be the only reason to extend him.

3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not searching for that old story, Art said if Ben wanted to return for 2021, he had to take a pay cut and he did.

5. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    My point was that he's 35 and Donald is 32. Sure they had similar numbers, and that's what i was pointing out with doing 3 years.

my point from the start of this is you cannot expect a 35 year old to do what a 30 year went thru is not a good example. Every DL player points to it's going to be closer to half of what he did 2 years ago.

I was asking of an example of someone over 32 who had an injury season and then came back better than he was 2 years ago.

So until someone can show me a 32+ DL having an injury season and coming back to what he was a few years ago, I will continue to say there is no way in willing to extend him, nor do I want to hear is crying..... he's a captain and setting a horrible example to these youngins

Last edited: May 21, 2024
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It isn't hard to search for these things. It took me 30 seconds to find this old Tweet from Mark Kobaly of The Athletic.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly/status/1354872465378304002

7. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I understand the underlying point you're trying to make, and have already said that counting on production from a lineman 35+ years old is risky. I mean, that's not a stretch; it's general rule of thumb.

But you're not making a clear case against Heyward specifically. You're jumping around with different ages for productivity comparisons and peaks, here saying expectations should be half of what was done two years ago. When does that start, 30? 32? 34.5? Heyward accomplished the rare feat of having what could be argued as his best statistical season at age 32. And he fell off only slightly at 33, turning in a year that didn't just meet half of what he was two years prior, it eclipsed his age 31 year entirely.

My point with the Donald comparison was to show how close their numbers were despite Heyward being three years older. You keep saying someone needs to provide an example of a 30-something DL returning from injury to match a yesteryear, but I don't see much relevancy because there aren't many d-linemen that play into their mid-30s to begin with, even less that have shown a level of productivity on par with Heyward's.

That said, I'm not advocating for them to extend him unless the length and price are right. I'm not warm on anything multi-year. There have been instances where the team and player meet after each season and discuss extending out a year at a time (essentially a two-year window) with performance incentives. That might be something the team would consider, not sure what Heyward is expecting.

Otherwise, like has been mentioned, the main benefit I see to them extending him is to push some of his money from this year into next and gain some cap room. But there's no clear target for them to be spending that money on right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I asked for a 32+ DL player who had injuries and returned back to being better than he was 2 years ago.

Whatever reason you brought in Donald. (Which I understood they had similar numbers), but that didn't answer my question.

So if you can't do it, than cool. I was just asking in general and no one can provide.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is pointing out to you why your premise is flawed and misleading.

10. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Not misleading or flawed.

There's no defensive lineman who has ever suffered from an injury riddled season after the age of 32, that was able to bounce back better than what he was 2 years before.

Cam suffered at the age of 34. So I'm being generous with saying 32+.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How many defensive linemen have the best season of their careers at 32? Heyward did.

12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Again I'm just asking where a 32+ DL had an injured riddled season and return to what he was 2 years before the injured riddled season.

Doesn't matter if they were prime at 32 or 30 or 28.

14. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014

Not really. You've been flailing around with different hoops for an opposing viewpoint to jump:
    This is a sloppy argumentative style that typically comes from someone who isn't going to change their view on the matter no matter what is provided by the other side. There simply aren't enough examples that fit your latest criteria going in (i.e., 32+ year old starting DL with injury-riddled season) to make it a significant sample size. But if you want to do some deep-diving and bring something to the table besides more hoops, feel free. I'm happy to look over whatever you find.

15. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Took about 10 seconds to find the story. Not exactly as how you put it, but tell it how you want.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I didn't say it was hard to find, but if you're a Steelers fan how do you not know about that story, that's why I didn't search for it.
    But I guess it was too hard for you to spell Mark Kaboly name correctly :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben had like a 40 million cap hit that year IIRC, yeah he had to take a pay cut to return.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    While you are playing spelling police, perhaps you might learn to use proper grammar and punctuation. Has anyone ever explained the concept of the run-on sentence to you?

19. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Buddy, my first question and only question to you was that. You never answered. And yet you accuse me of wearing flip flops.

I only replied to your stuff on aaron, saying I agree with the numbers being there, however they're different at age when they had an injured riddled season.

So again this is my only question. And only question I had from the start..... where's a defensive lineman who was over 32+, had a injured riddled season, and returned to what he was 2 years earlier.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Translation: You've got nothing. Thank you.

22. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Come on, man. Take a look for yourself upthread. This is the first question you posed to me:

I'm not trying to be overly technical on wording, but whether intentionally or not, you subsequently shifted the parameters of your 'question' as I replied. The simple fact of the matter is that we're not going to find many cases whose specifics match up well in comparison with Heyward's. And I don't know how many times I have to confirm that the general risk involved with relying on solid production from a lineman in his mid-thirties that you're pointing to is valid.

I get that you don't want the team to extend Heyward, and that's fine. I'm alright with the idea so long as long as the terms make sense for the team. Not sure if that can happen, though. Cam's talking wanting to play three more years, and wouldn't be for that. I haven't seen what his camp would want in terms of money, but I haven't gotten the feeling they're warm on lowering expectations either.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I said almost the exact same thing.

You still can't answer my question. Nor can anyone else here apparently. That's really the end of discussion.

24. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    For the record I knew exactly why you didn't need to Google. And I thought everyone else knew as well why you said it that way.

Just letting you know @Formerscribe

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There was some special reason for him to use poor grammar and punctuation while playing spelling police?