1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Patriots OT Chukwuma Okorafor Hints He’s Getting Better Coaching Than With Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 20, 2024.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This wouldn't surprise me at all. We never got the chance to see Pickett play in an Arthur Smith offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    More importantly, we barely got to see him in an offense that wasn't run by Matt Canada.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We didn't get to see Pickett play in an Arthur Smith offense because he didn't want to stick around and compete :rolleyes:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Yea, I mean the Patriots have been stellar. Come on bro

• Like Like x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Wrong. Because Russell Wilson was guaranteed the starting role. No competition necessary.

6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Does Chuks have an excuse for why Broderick Jones played so much better than him with the same coaching????

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    We didn't get to see Pickett play in an Arthur Smith offense because the front office wanted him gone. I think it was to roll the dice on Fields, which was a poor choice. If they didn't want him gone, they wouldn't have given up on a quarterback for such a small return.

8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Waiting to see Chuks pull a Kevin Dotson this year away from Pat Meyer.

Not a clue why the Steelers signed Pat Meyer to a new contract this off-season. With all these young players you would think they would have upgraded the O-Line Coach.

Pat Meyer should have been shown the door last year. Mason Cole, Chuks, even Dan Moore have all gotten worse under Pat. And then the 2 guys they let walk last year,Dotson and Green immediately improved away from Pat Meyer's coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Okorafor was never good. He has some athleticism, he lacks aggression and he gets pushed around at the point of attack way too often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I thought a lot of people on this board wanted the Steelers to get Munchak. If that's so why is it hard to believe that he is just possible being better coached where he is? Our O line has been pretty bad. So just maybe he's eright

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    what is this supposed to be?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I do agree, but from his viewpoint he was clearly being sidelined for probably 2 years with the RW hire. He seemed to have a chip on his shoulder, so going from starter to holding a clipboard full time was never going to go over well with him. A few years in college as the big man and then being the starter for the Steelers would make that a bitter pill to swallow. He would have been out of his rookie contract with no real track record to help him get paid. So he was probably all kinds of butt hurt and sulky.

I am not sure why he went to the Eagles though. He is guaranteed to be a backup there with no chance at being the starter unless he plans a Tonya Harding moment. Or maybe he was seeing so much red that he took anything to be elsewhere? If Hurt stays healthy, there is zero chance of playtime for Kenny other than the occasional blowout game where he comes in for a few plays at the end. At least with the Steelers, there was an end in sight. 2 years maximum, maybe only 1 year on the sideline if the Steelers don't grab Wilson for the second year of Denver money.

Last edited: May 21, 2024
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I would love to have Munch back in any capacity. Even as a part time consultant.

My greatest fear in the draft was us drafting a tackle like Mims who needs a ton of coaching. Pat Meyer would not have been up to the task of developing someone like Mims. Fautanu has a ton of experience, so he can put up with bad coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It looks like either a spammer made it onto the site or someone's account was hacked.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The problem here is that people start making things up to fill in the gaps, such as the claim about Pickett being "butt hurt and sulky." There also wasn't much time between the Wilson signing and the trade sending him out of town, so the Steelers didn't make much of an effort to remedy the situation. It is at least as likely that they gave up on him and he saw it coming rather than him forcing their hands.

Regarding why he went to the Eagles, he wasn't given much of a choice.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Come on that's not true...., and all players say this when the go to new teams. Example: Mike Vrabel on players that were better when they left....this was before we knew who Tomlin was...How many players have we heard this from, and then later said they should have never left. I know I just heard, Bell, and AB both say they should have stayed. Of course they are going to talk up their new teams.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now He knows how He got His start over Mason

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Kenny is going to have his hands full keeping the backup QB job from Tanner McKee. I thought the Eagles got a Steal when they selected McKee in the 6th round last year. With the new rules for 3rd string QBs coming off the practice squad; Kenny may not even be on a 53-man roster in 2024.

Mckee currently projects as a second or third-round pick in the 2023 NFL Draft - and has real starting potential given the right pro offense.
    https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Tanner-McKee-QB-Stanford

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I say butt hurt and sulky because that was the attitude that he gave while Rudolph was playing. Kenny had the mad, throwing a temper tantrum look. Remember his comment about not learning anything on the sideline? I really had high hopes for Kenny and I still think that he is better than his performance under a Canada offense showed him to be. I hoped that he would get a chance to sit behind a successful and experienced QB (Wilson) for a year and learn. He never had a real chance to develop with the Steelers IMO. But I also think that he has a chip on his shoulder, a sense of entitlement, and yes, a butt hurt and sulky attitude. I don't say that to fill in the gaps, I say it because the limited comments he made and his facial expressions give that impression while he was on the sideline. What else can explain his demeanor, his comments and his asking for a trade after the Wilson hire? Maybe he just wanted to be an Eagle that bad?

As for the Eagles, I don't know if he had much choice on where he was going or not. I suspect the options were slim at that point. So maybe that was the answer that just fell in everyone's lap at the right time.

I also wonder if the Steelers have turned a corner on players that have discipline problems. They do seem to be getting rid of players that whine too much a bit faster now. Maybe we won't see more dancing on logos at the 50 and celebrations when clock time is an issue?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What is a mad, throwing a temper tantrum look? He answered one question in two years in a way that was less than ideal and somehow that is throwing a tantrum. It is just odd to me that Steelers fans have tried to make so much negative out of that one comment. Shouldn't he want to be on the field?

Based on everything else we know it is far more likely that the Steelers gave up on him and he knew it. That is why they gave in and traded him for so little in return. If they actually thought he could still be a quality starter and traded him for peanuts just because he asked, that would have been incredibly stupid and I don't think Khan, Rooney, and Tomlin are stupid.

There is no reason to believe Pickett had any input at all into where he was traded.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Scribe that is pretty much expected from the fan base.They vilified Harrison when he took less money to play for the Bengals and that was based on a beat writer's "insider information" when the Steelers never talk about contract negotiations. They tore into Anthony Smith was saying I think we will win vs the Pats which was spun into him guaranteeing a win, when all it was , was a player having condience in himself and his team. Sanders said playing with Manning was a better learning experience than playing with Ben which most of Steeler nation wanted to trash him for daring to speak ill of Ben's ability as a QB. We won't even touch on Mendenhall.

22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Actually cam Sutton had a down year. The lions did well, but Sutton not so much.

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/lions-2023-review-cornerbacks

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I know I thought he was solid piece of the puzzle, it was the injuries that slowed him down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think it’s really questionable that Tomlin doesn’t hire the best coaches but not all those measure up.

Dotson and Spillane definitely played better.

Green, early returns were promising but injured quickly, still remains to be seen how well he does.
    Hargrave was already really good when he left.
    Dobbs just never got the opportunity to start here, makes a fine backup.

25. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The article is misleading.