1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Best steelers players in the last 40 years?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 16, 2024.

1. Rod Woodson

11.9%
  2. Troy Polamalu

47.6%
  3. Ben Roethlisberger

23.8%
  4. Antonio Brown

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. James Harrison

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hines Ward

2.4%
  7. other

7.1%
  8. T.J Watt

7.1%
  1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough.

While I don't agree with his decision to go elsewhere, I still do hold him in high regard along with respect it. That all said, still wasn't one of Dan Rooneys best moves in terms of contract negotiations. I'd imagine that the inability to sign Rod long term is still one of the teams greatest shortcomings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I thought we were talking about players, not teams.
    :shrug:

One could argue the '95 team was better in some aspects than the '05 team. Both teams overachieved, IMHO.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
  3. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Instead of building the team around defense and running game....Tomlin and Steelers tried to build around Roethlisberger and it didn't work. Killer Bs were fun to watch, but didn't win anything of any value.

Plus the sudden departure of Worilds and demise of Shazier devastated the defense. Worilds retirement facilitated some bad draft picks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Ben, hands down, he made the biggest difference to the franchise. Turned us into contenders. Sorry we didn't get one more trophy in that last decade. But without him, i doubt Tomlin still has a job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Franchise QB>CB
    Ben had the longer career with the team, and played the more important position.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The question is about the best player,not the most important or Ben would been the slam dunk winner in this....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is football. Players don't win or lose by themselves. Even quarterbacks don't, so certainly a cornerback isn't going to be able to do it. You are judging Woodson by what other players did and failed to do.

There is also some recency bias affecting people's judgment.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    We aren't talking about most valuable to the team. We are talking about best player. Was Roethlisberger ever the best quarterback in the NFL? Was he ever even in the top two?

Woodson was the best cornerback in the NFL at one point. He was in the top two most of his time as a Steeler. Polamalu was among the top two safeties in the league for most of his career.

There ware ways to look at it that favor all three of those guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Answer me this question would you draft a franchise QB if given the chance, or a stud CB?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is irrelevant to this discussion, which is about the best player, not the most valuable. What you are talking about there is value.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Just think how bad 2011 - 2021 would have been without him. I agree with his playoff performance.

12. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    True....The steelers have a bottom 5-10 offense for most of the time since 2019 and this is since Ben was no longer in his prime

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Said the Guy who argued that Woodson was the best Steelers player in the last 40 year.....that never watched him play, but because NFL Network Said so he says so. LOL
    Ah ....funny how you jump back , and forth with this....one time a player can do anything without help, and then when it's something You don't agree with....they can't

14. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    I mean,Woodson is in the discussion....He was a first ballot HOF for a reason and he would been one if his career would been over after 1996...It don't matter if I watched him or not,this is just the fact,his resume speaks for himself, but you love to belittle so many great talents and players with some random arguments or stats who don't matter much at the end of the day

15. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  16. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Yeah, with all the playoff games TJ has won, I can see how you’d take him over Ben. And in less than half the seasons too!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is easy , TJ Watt, Rod Woodson, Troy P.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Show me the post that argues a player can do anything without help. It doesn't exist. I'm saying a player can excel enough to be a Hall of Famer even on a bad team. Those are not the same thing. Guys like Aeneas Williams and Joe Thomas are examples.

A lack of help can limit a player, especially a young one trying to figure things out. The points are not contradictory if you don't oversimplify them as you just did.

Your argument is based on assuming what Woodson would have done on bad defenses, not what happened, but this tangent is dragging us away from an even larger flaw in your argument. You are ignoring that the guys you insist were as good, Lake and Lloyd, also played on those same outstanding defenses. Woodson and Lloyd were taken in the 1987 draft and were teammates until 1996. Lake arrived two years later.

Why did the defense help Woodson but not Lloyd and Lake? I'm sure 1995 will be your argument, but I and others have already pointed out that the defense dropped off significantly from the previous season without Woodson.

Last edited: May 19, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    TJ Watt didn't turn the ball over with costly INTs vs Jax. Not to mention Roethlisberger's mediocre to downright awful PLAYOFF performance from SBXLV + Tebow game.... until the final Chiefs game at Arrowhead.

Last edited: May 20, 2024
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Simple Question....which player didn't play the most the year we went to the SB.....I forgot...was it Lloyd, Green, Lake, or Woodson??? LoL
    Yes I know You already brought it up....You did because it destroyed Your statement, and so You tried getting around it. So None of them made Woodson look any better than He was??? I mean rushing the Qb from all sides, and forcing Him to throw when He rather not....it never helps CBs does it??? LoL.

22. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    You didn't read the last sentence of Formerscribe on 1995...In fact your only argument was that our defense gave 90 more points than 1994 was because our offense was much better...Make no sense...I men the two years that the greatest show on turf made the super bowl in 1999 and 2001, they had a very good defense, several other good offenses had a very good defense in the past, so to say that our defense in 1995 had given way more points that 1994 were more about our offense was better that the loss of Woodson is very weak....But of course, instead of accepting the L, you are going to say attacks to me again

Take the L but stop with your non sense

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You didn't destroy anything. You utilized the logical fallacy of oversimplification ty try to make a poorly-reasoned argument work. As others pointed out, the defense declined significantly from 1994, when they had Woodson, to 1995, when they didn't. Cowher had to overhaul the team's entire approach on the fly because Woodson wasn't there, which helped demonstrate his dominance. There were also other differences from '94 to '95, such as Thigpen being healthy and putting together a monster season, which allowed the offense to pick up the slack for the diminished defense. Also, it's not as if there was a huge difference between those teams. The '94 team blew a late lead to an inferior opponent in the AFC Championship game, then came up short on fourth-and-goal. The '95 team barely held on against an inferior opponent in the AFC Championship game.

You should know all this, but you are choosing to ignore it to try to prop up your failed argument.

Woodson established himself before Lloyd did and before Lake arrived, so it is odd that you argue that they helped him, but not the other way around. Having an elite corner helps pass rushers like Lloyd and frees up safeties like Lake to make plays. Defenses are a unit. Stars in one area help their teammates. That goes for cornerbacks, too.

Woodson is a Hall of Famer with a well-deserved place on the NFL Top 100 team of all time. Lloyd and Lake were great players, but not on Woodson's level, not even if you only look at Woodson's time with the Steelers.

Last edited: May 20, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    I voted for Big Ben

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Which wouldve been a very wise decision. I was at Patriot game, Bledsoe was qb, Woodson got ate up later in his career with Steelers , biting on PA. Back to Bledsoe, wr was 15 yds ahead of Woodson on that play. Easy td. Definitely would’ve extended his career by moving him to safety, couldnt keep up on an island by himself later in his career

• Like Like x 1