1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Heyward does not plan to attend OTAs as he seeks a contract extension.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 15, 2024.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they give him an extension, I hope it's a team friendly deal, don't overpay for what he has done in the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I like Cam, but dude is the definition of Mr. regular season, can't have one of your best players continue to be a no-show in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I believe that is where the players go to hookup with other players and workout. Also, some time in the training room with the trainers.

Fee free to post Picks of Cam working out at the local Golds or 24 hour fitness.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    That’s not really fair. The whole team has been no show in the playoffs.

The issue is the timing of all of this. He is 35 and coming off an injury that really hampered his production all last season. It’s a huge bet and massive risk to commit a lot of cap space to Cam in the future. If Cam is confident in his abilities still and his health then I’m hopeful he will agree to a fair deal requisite with his age and recent injury history. A deal heavily incentivized based on performance and availability is the only fair deal for player and team.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No severance pay like they did for Ben R the last 5 years. Totally stunted the Steelers reload process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought Ben did a team friendly restructure

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben didn't have a choice Art ll said if he wanted to return, he would have to take a pay cut.

8. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

You guys are hilarious. As if nobody would have wanted Ben Roethlisberger if he hit the market in 2018. Even when he was injured, he would have still been worth something to a team willing to take a shot at a title.

The Steelers ran out a young QB in Pickett, and an established but untapped QB in Rudolph to sign Russell Wilson. A guy that his last 2 teams didn't want anymore and is in his late 30's.

The Steelers could have gotten a king's ransom in draft picks for Ben if he wanted to go anywhere. As if Big Ben needed to be loyal to the Steelers in order for him to play anywhere.

There were quarterbacks that literally sucked that made close to what Ben was making at the end of his career. So he injured his elbow at the end of a HOF career and tried to come back. Oh the horror! Then he leads them to an 11-0 start before the wheels come off of another team.

People that think he was holding the team back are delusional. He was the guy keeping the team competitive. Did Ben miss on a bunch of draft picks? Did Ben make his coaching staff turn into a group of dinosaurs using no modern offensive concepts? Was Ben responsible for bad free agent signings with the money they cleared up by signing him to contract extensions in the first place that caused the cap issues? That would be a big NO to all those questions.

And for those of you that are bitching about how much money they paid Ben, he signed a deal to basically play for nothing in 2021 to lower the hit on the team.

https://www.nfl.com/news/ben-roethlisberger-agrees-to-new-deal-with-steelers-for-2021-season

Without Big Ben, Mike Tomlin would only be dreaming of never having a losing season. This isn't a bash Mike Tomlin post. This is a fact to anyone that understands the impact Big Ben had on those untalented teams during the seasons some of you are bitching about.

Bitching about a Hall of Fame quarterback especially after seeing everything that has followed after his retirement......

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Can I get an Amen???

10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think we will make some sort of shorter term/team friendly offer to Cam, but he is nearly done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Should someone camp out at his house and sneak photos of cam working out at his home gym?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    He should do sit ups in the driveway dogdammit!!!!!

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I guess I will if someone will pay me well enough to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That was way after the Steelers foolishly over paid for Ben R services.

15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I don't think they will; that's what his contract in 2020 was for. I expected them to try an extension earlier this offseason, as it allows the team to convert some of Heyward's base to signing bonus and thereby reduce his 2024 cap hit while taking no pay cut. They can still do that of course, but I'm not sure what they'd be clearing the money for, seeing as they're still $18.2M under the cap.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I forgot about him being a captain.

Great point.

17. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Are you drunk or on drugs? I'm being serious.

You've accused me 3 times now of stuff I've never said or been associated with.

18. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I'm really not a fan of him. And that's not just because of what's going on now. Last year wasn't just someone who dealt with injuries. It dealt with someone who wasn't giving it their all.

Some players, like Troy, fought so much. But cam is the opposite. You don't see him making a play than going to the sideline to hit oxygen and coming in the next play. Instead we all watched him not play for majority of a drive and only came in at the red zone and still failed to help. We saw so many drives of him only coming in on the third.

And now he thinks he deserves more money and 3 years.

19. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I'm just curious. What DL player have you seen that declined between 32-35 for two years and then came back stronger at 35+ years?

20. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Let go pull aaron Donald out of retirement.

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Are you drunk or on drugs? Do you not even know what you are writing?

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He declined from All-Pro to Pro Bowl with 10.5 sacks in 2022. Yeah, that's a massive fall.

He was either out of the lineup or playing through a significant injury all of last season. Of course, Heyward is a big risk coming off a major injury at his age, but your comparison is overly simplistic at best.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    And How is Cam different? Both around 35 and in the decline of their career.

Ben took an actual $5 million pay cut his final year, let's see what Cam does.

Is there a betting line for the number of games Cam will play in 2024? Because of this whole not attending workouts and OTAs, I would guess under 10.

24. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Wait, cam went thru being 32 to 37 before?

..... yep you're on something.

25. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    $20 bucks an hour sounds about fair !

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1