1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Heyward does not plan to attend OTAs as he seeks a contract extension.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 15, 2024.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    To be fair Cam isn't training and of saying he might carry this further. Vs he has a pod cast every week. And he did that during regular season, as well just 5 days prior to the Bills game he released an episode.

So yes, people are 100% correct with saying those comments.

2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    :facepalm: Did you even read the first post???

Cam Heyward has not attended voluntary offseason workouts. Do you not understand what "WorkingOut" means?.

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Do you not understand what voluntary means?

again you know nothing about how much time he spends in the gym.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    How do you know Cam isn't training? An hour pod cast out of how many hours are in a week? Who are you are and others to judge how Cam spends his time? Get a life bro.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    DeCastro needed ankle surgery IIRC.

6. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Tinker bell, I only let you know facts.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Whether or not Cam is at workouts is by no means the major negotiating chip here at present. Cam already has far more leverage than people are willing to give him. How so?!

Beyond Cameron Heyward, who else do the Steelers have currently on the Roster that we can confidentially count on?! Keeanu Benton is the most sensible and logical answer. However, switching him from NT to DT (like Cam) now creates a massive chasm at NT; one that I don't wanna see Montravius Adams perform again.

DeMarvin Leal?! My 2022 Scouting Report on him has been on point thus far; tremendously talented but terribly inconsistent. Placing faith in him is arguably a bigger leap of faith than Darius Rush.

Isaiahh Loudermilk is what he is at this point; a backup IDL. How proficient of one will be determined by how well he fends off Logan Lee; someone whom I believe will surprise, if not shock, a lot of people to make it to the final 53. Lee's abilities are more nuanced than others are giving him credit for.

Larry Ogunjobi?! He is a injury based time bomb. Never mind that, his frequency of injuries far exceed Cams. Not ideal as a contingency plan.

Now, Cameron Heyward himself is 35, coming off of a pretty serious injury and isn't getting any younger. That all said, there simply isn't any "Cameron Heyward Contigency Plan" currently available to the Steelers. In all likelihood, such a plan isn't going to happen until 2025 at the earliest for next year's IDL Class is promising indeed. Nabbing a player from that class would be a rock solid option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    In Cams case the press has gone from dumb to fake and dumb, no story here. Cam not coming is a good move for him to recover completely and what does he need to learn about defense, end of story.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Are you of the belief that there are no gyms in Pittsburgh other than the Steelers facility?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    $16 million doesn’t buy as many groceries as it used to

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    So you either remember incorrectly or you’re making up crap again. Decastro was released at the end of June and training camp starts at the end of July.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Cam not attending workouts is a non story. The fact that he’s washed up and not any good is much more pressing.

13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    There are 168 hours in a week. That is more than enough time to record a 30-60 minute podcast without cutting into any gym time. So no y’all aren’t 100% correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Well one reason is the team had attitude issues in the locker room with selfish actions last year where current and former team members were calling out the team chemistry and leadership as being bad. So not a great look from a vet who is still under contract to blow it off when he never has before and to go to the media about it. I'm in the minority and freely admit it, I think this guy has always been overrated. Why I say that it is because I never thought he was a 4 quarters guy, he always seemed to me to fade late in games when it became crunch time. Maybe too many snaps, not enough help around him whatever but for the Steeler greats on the line I never felt that way. All anecdotal but that's my opinion. Show up to the OTA's to show the rookies and everyone else how a committed professional goes about his job. As for the contract if you can't come to terms ask for a trade but do it behind the scenes not in the media.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
  15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree and I get what you're saying. I just don't see it as "strong arming". The team has other options at that positions.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think he's washed up, I give him a pass for last season he was never fully healthy, he probably won't regain his All-Pro form but he can still help the team IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Again. A team captain should lead by example or decline the Captain status. IMO a team Captain should be at everything.
    He has a contract by the way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There was also talk of him needing to get in shape, which fails to take the injury into account and implies he hasn't put in the work.

So now you are going to make stuff up if you think another poster misrepresented your position. That is an interesting choice.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    By the way, what has he ever done impactful in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This post implies he wasn't putting in the work to be in shape, doesn't it?

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Where was this outrage when Ben skipped ota’s? Brown? Troy?

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    You do know you’re arguing with a flatearther?

23. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    If he can stay healthy he can provide veteran leadership and depth but his best playing days are a couple years behind him.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Sure, but he was a first-team All-Pro two years ago, and he had 10.5 sacks in 2022. It's not like he wasn't still a viable starter before the groin injury.

25. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    This is my view as well. I'm not ready to write all productivity on him off yet, though I would be careful about the length and terms of any extension I'd be offering. Frankly, I'm surprised he's looking at three more years in the trenches.

• Like Like x 1