1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Heyward does not plan to attend OTAs as he seeks a contract extension.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 15, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If all he misses is voluntary workouts, It's nothing. I thought he was taking about missing minicamp, too. That's not nothing. That's Heyward trying to put some pressure on the organization to give him an extension.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Honestly I am hopeful they release Ogunjobi next year. I don’t know the implications on the cap that would cause but to me he is one of the wort singings we have had in a while when you factor in the salary and the lack of production relative to expectation. They need to go get a young stud in Free Agency next year at DT and draft one in the first or second round. Attack it the same way they attacked Ol and ILB. I would love to keep Cam but the defense is already expensive and he isn’t getting younger. However on the flip side Lineman can traditionally play much longer than skill positions because their game is predicated on power not speed but if injuries start to arise thats where you need to become concerned. With Cam coming off of a season long injury it is a bit concerning. I am sure he is looking for some garauntees at his age and thats exactly the thing you don’t want to give him due to his age and injuries. This could turn into a real problem if Heyward becomes stubborn and digs in his heels with this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not looking good, we have seen how this turns out.

4. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Why do people think voluntary is not a big deal? Specially when he does so much pod cast and wasn't a factor last season.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    The pressure needs to be on him to put in work to show he can be a factor.

Played 11 games. So many times steelers had to wait until 3rd down to play him, because he was exhausted.

2 sacks and only 25 solo tackles.

And he thinks he is on the position to put pressure on the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I would take Troy back before extending cam. At least Troy gave it his all and then some.

7. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    I wouldn't give Cam lots of money I would focus on DL in next year's draft if not ----seeking ----A QB 1

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Heyward played through an injury all season. He wasn't healthy in camp, then tore it in the opener. He was not close to 100 percent when he returned. I get the frustration with him, but his idea that he didn't put in the work last year or ever is nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Because We are basically running the exact same D He has been in His entire career. If He doesn't know it now .....He never will. His health is more important to the team now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Darren Molloy

Darren Molloy Active Member

Jun 8, 2019
    This is a really difficult one to approach for me anyway and I try to put myself in everyone else's position concerned too.

I think the Steelers should offer him a three year deal including next year so basically a restructure of next year plus two. They should offer guaranteed money based off the median of his position and age based off of historical data. Obviously the guaranteed money will be low in year 2 and 3 but if by some miracle he turns into 25 year old Cam he can earn that money.
    I really want Cam to win a Super Bowl because he carried the D so many times over the line and got us the W. Cam is still the engine of the locker room and they need him to have any chance of a SB run.

Khan would probably be happy to let him just see out the contract. Cold as ice and the most probable outcome.

Cam wants what he can get based off his posturing. He's perfectly entitled to miss otas it's not a big deal anyway. His agent will take as much as he can get from negotiations.

The casual fans want him to play until the year 10,191 those dumb mofos can't count who cares what they think.

Tomlin needs him but will put the leadership on TJ or Minkah if he loses Cam but hopefully they can hide the challenge flag better than Cam.

Art zwei just wants everything to sail plainly cos he hates drama

The Mara sisters still fine as **** and couldn't care less

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Polamalu would skip voluntary workouts all the time.

12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Let him rest. He doesn't need a voluntary anything. He's waiting on a contract extension. I want him well rested and in good shape when it's time to play during the regular season

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    You're right, that makes great sense to extend someone.

14. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    He can attend and sit on the side where he can help coach others. Focus on what he needs to do to be out there more than just on third downs. Get in shape. Bond with the rookies. Make adjustments on moves. Etc.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please show me where I wrote that in my post. I'll give you a hint. I didn't. I'm simply pushing back against some of the Heyward bashing.

The only way they should give him an extension is if it gives them more cap room they need for 2024.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Did you forget that he was injured early in training camp and was never healthy all season?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    But what if Cam wants alot of money? He has been a wonderful Steeler his whole
    career and I feel the Steelers have paid him wonderfully all these years. I hope Steelers and Cam can work something out,
    that may not be an easy task.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think you are crazy for assuming that Heyward is spending more time on the talk show circuit than trainnng. Heyward has plenty of time to accomplish multiple goals through out his days.

FYI, Brady had a podcast while he played with the Bucs. It's called Let's Go.

Heyward is in small hold out mode while negotiating a contract extension. I wish fans would place themselves into player's shoes sometimes.

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Cam could still be hurt, and he doesn't want to show up to camp to let them know that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Unless there's a FA that you have an eye on, where extending Cam clears payroll this year, then just take the $22 million hit this year and let him play out his last year.

If he has anything left this year, then you can go year to year with him.

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I remember when David Decastro did this in the offseason, and then he finally showed up like 5 days before camp began and the Steelers had to release him and force him into retirement because of how bad the injury was. I wonder if Cam is having his own problems post surgery?

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...-david-decastro-kevin-colbert-nfl-retirement/
    Just before the start of training camp, the Pittsburgh Steelers were forced to make the difficult decision of releasing veteran guard David DeCastro. According to Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert, the decision to release DeCastro was directly related to how bad DeCastro’s ankle injury is.

Last edited: May 17, 2024
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    In my opinion when you’re a team Captain you set an example and make it. He’s made millions and is under contract this season for an exorbitant amount of money. As a captain how the heck are you going to hold your teammates accountable doing stuff like this?
    Plus the guy who posted this is wrong. Heyward sat out during Covid and encouraged others to do the same.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Was that during training camp? Offseason workouts? The only game he missed during the 2020 season was the final one against the Browns, when the team sat many of its starters. Players who opted out due to health concerns in 2020 did nothing wrong. Heyward has asthma, so he was considered to be at a higher risk than many of his teammates.

24. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    This isn't how the NFL world works Glenn. The NFL is a business for players and organizations.

Heyward's creditials as an NFL vet, stats, leader, captain, human being, ect are unquestionationable at this point.

I think you should stop to think, why you are judging Heyward to harshly??? Heyward just wants a contract extension that can work for himself and the Steelers. I think that you would want the same if you were in his shoes.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Just like you started putting words in my mouth I never said? "but this idea that he didn't put in the work last year or ever is nonsense". That I never said.

You wrote to me out of context, I wrote to you out of context.

I'm 100% positive that's what you first replied to me on here with me saying, he is not in position to demanding after a season of being injured to where he only produced 2 sacks and meh in tackles and some times could only play 3rd downs.

• Like Like x 1