1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does Vegas think we are going to be last in division? 7.5 win line wow

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ytownsteeler, May 14, 2024.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The Steelers defense played well enough, keeping opposing offenses at 20 points or under and getting turnovers. We were very unlucky too... It is just that we ended up winning those games because the defense held us in it and the offense made JUST enough plays to seal the deal. It wasn't opposition "stupid mistakes" as much as it was us making plays to win the game too. We ended up with one of the top 5 toughest schedules in the league, went 2-2 against the sub .500 teams, and still ended up winning 10 games. Good defense, turnovers, and winning close games pulled us through.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I soured on Kenny but let us not pretend that he wasn't doing better after the coordinator firing. He had 1 1/2 games and the offense was looking better. He played that Half game already dinged up to start and still was having some success until he went out. IIRC that was a redzone play as well. Trubisky just showed he was terrible, and I blame Tomlin for sticking with him and not going Mason earlier. The same throws Mason was connecting on were there for Trubisky, he just couldn't hit them. I don't know if Kenny would have improved on the scoring like Mason, but he was better than before.

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Yeah he was lighting up the scoreboard there that’s for damn sure.

4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I addressed that in my post. We don't know whether he could have as he only had 1 1/2 games. Those Interim guys had to figure out on the fly how they were going to call the game and what was going to work. We Got to see that play out in real-time and if was entertaining after years of just stagnant offensive play. Best part of Canada firing was being able to actually watch the offense run an NFL level gameplan. For the first time last year I was debating whether I wanted to actually get up and watch the games when they had Canada it was so bad.

I also think staying with Mason was the wiser choice since you had some continuity and flow happening. I believe you really need to have that compatibility between the players on the field. The Good QBs can gel with just about any receiver combination. When you have what the Steelers had, you have to adjust and be willing to play the guy that fits.

5. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    I personally think there is something going on behind the scenes in Pittsburgh. They werent ever going forward with KFP, and KFP couldn’t wait to get out of there.
    Speaking of which, Mason had no intention of staying in Pittsburgh either.
    Its going to be very interesting how our 2 new qb situation works out. I am trying to be optimistic, we will see.
    On the note of over under 7.5, seems about right. I have faith in our run game, but what if teams fill the box and our qbs dont make them pay for it with PA?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This 100%

7. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The Steelers were 9-2 in games of inches or in one score game in 2023....It can not happen every year so the Steelers need to be much better....the Vikings in 2022 were even more lucky with their 13-4 record and they were 7-10 last year and 4-4 with cousins

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Who gives a crap about the PPG? The won loss record is what matters, and the Steelers got nothing from two All-Pro players in Cam and Minkah. Get out of here with nonsense :rolleyes:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah, because the Steelers are the only team to get lucky in some wins :facepalm:.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If Cowher did that Steelersfan43 would be hailing him as the GOAT :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Pickett was going to get a fair chance to compete for the starting job, except when a vet Super Bowl winning QB like Russell Wilson became available for cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Reason being, noone wanted him or Fields. Enjoy the off season of dreaming about your once upon a time SB winning qb. Maybe he will let you tour his office.:hehehe:

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He doesn't have an office, that was in Denver before Sean Payton arrived, if Wilson can put up similar stats that he had last year then the Steelers should be successful.

• Like Like x 2
  14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Probably how KFP handled the "soft benching" when Rudolph just straight took his job. I get that he was likely upset that he lost his job due to injury (though I know it has been reported that they were thinking of benching him already), but it was do or die mode and Mason gave us a better shot at winning... can't blame Tomlin for making that decision. It was a combination of poor play and Kenny acting out a bit in the middle of a playoff run. He will be a clipboard holder for a while and then see his way to his life's work before he's 30.

Mason left because we signed Wilson and he thought he would be #3 behind him and Kenny. We ended up trading Kenny and signing Fields, so he would be #3 in that scenario too. It was just time for him to move on. If he didn't get his shot last season he'd probably be out of the league right now, so he's happy wherever will pay him and give him a cozy #2 job.

We won 10 games with us averaging 15.07 offensive PPG through week 15. How is "teams filling the box and our QB's not being able to make them pay" any different than the first 14 games of last season? The bar for offensive improvement is CRAZY low. I'm not saying a 7 win season is impossible (injuries, etc.), it just isn't very likely imo.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    i agree. KFP was trash, but others think he was getting better when we got rid of our OC. I wasnt one of them, glad he is gone. I also didnt say we were going to win just 7 games. I do think the 7.5 is close for betting odds.
    Also, I am not sold on these qbs. They are not much better than what we had, don’t ask me ask Denver and Chicago
    Also, wilson and fields have to learn a new offense. A lot of possibilities, can go either way

16. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    very rare you can make the playoffs with a bottom 5 offense....also very rare that a team have a winning record after 8-10 games despite to be outgained every of those game.In fact they were the only team in NFL history to have a winning record after 8-10 even if they were outgained in every game

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Its kind of futile. Some on here dont care about stats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    No....I remember when Cowher make the super bowl even after losing the great Rod Woodson in the first game of the year for the rest of the season and the 2 AFC playoffs games in 1995

19. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I wonder when Tomlin won his last playoff game? That would be a great Jeopardy question

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So, you want a participation trophy for that :shrug:?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Coming from someone living in California!:facepalm::roflmao::eek::roflmao:

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Props to Tomlin for winning 10 games despite all of that :hehehe:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    CA>Your :poopy: hole state

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I thought that was your state emblem:poopy: :drinks:

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And what better options at QB did they have?